Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive washed my fj a few times after offroading and I cannot keep the white residue or stains off the fender flares and the rocker pannel cladding ive used alot of things like windex, some kind of off brand spray wax cleaner and even that Toyo guard stuff that came with the truck but the first time it rains or gets wet the stains show up again. anyone have the same problem? how do i fix it?
thanks

·
Registered
851 Posts
Mother's makes something called Back to Black. I haven't used it on my FJ yet but I have had lots of good experiences with it on other vehicles. :)

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Get a bunch of scratches and other assorted trail rash on them and the stains won't even be noticeable.

I drive through the laser wash thing and mine come out pretty clean. I wonder if it is some kind of wax or polish that you have on yours that is causing the problem. If that is the case, you may want to strip it off with ammonia... but be very careful to not get it anywhere else if you do that.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I believe you can use some Armor All on the plastic stuff, but that's only a temporary solution. :simmadown:

....Or just don't wash the FJ!:bigthumb:(looks better dirty):rocker:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I've had the same since day one but it was just one spot over the license plate. Haven't come across a solution just yet.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I too have it near the plate... Just spots.. I noticed that I also have a white residue in the door jam at the same spot. I believe it's the "auto butler" spray paint protection "crap" they spray on them.. Ron

I've had the same since day one but it was just one spot over the license plate. Haven't come across a solution just yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey all. Pretty new to the forum and FJ family in general. Just got my '07 2 weeks ago after my '04 Xterra was totaled by a hit and run driver when it was parked.

Anyway for all of the plastic on the FJ try using a product called 3M Marine plastic and vinyl protector. you can pick it up at boating stores or Gander Mountain. It does a killer job getting the black back to showroom and helps UV fading. It'll also help scratches and scuffs look less noticeable.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Thanks to all for your thoughts! I've got the same problem and so far, lots of elbow grease helps... I'll try the suggestions!

Welcome and congrats to jrzcaps! Great forum here! You'll love it!

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have used Stoner Trim Shine for a few years on my 4-Runner fender flares and it was the only thing I found to overcome wax stains and bring it back. Pep-boys used to carry it but they stopped. Now I order by the case from stoner. I use it on anything black, wheel wells, tires, and trim. I swear by it and if you wipe off the tires, it doesn't have a lot of overspray. I have used it on the FJ with the same results. PS a case is pretty cheap and I think they ship for free.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I've been using a product called Vinylex that I got at AutoZone. Works well and it's easy to use. It's similar to Armor All without the oily/greasy residue. The typical chalky looking splotches are usually from wax or polish residue. The Vinylex stuff works well on all the plastic trim both interior and exterior. Some of the other products also work well, but I like this one the best so far.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Most of these are talking about ways to mask the fade. However, to easily clean the black vinal, use Wesleys Bleach White - it also takes the nasty mud, rock scrapes and all that off your tires so they are back to black. SuperGreen or whatever is alright, but bleach white is what ive been using for years... and its cheap

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
awesome thanks for the advice yall! ill tray some of that out. but ya i agree i think mud looks better than clean trim anyday:rocker:

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
My next step is small tube and metal fenders. I hate plastic. but I also agre with the back to black product for now. It works great. also if you wax I'd suggest the turtle wax ice. no white residue.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Vinylex works very well and is not like Armor All which will eventually dry out the plastic/rubber.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts