Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There were a few threads on this but they never made it anywhere. 5 minutes with Google image search and I found a locking latch that appears to be an exact match. These assemblies can be purchased for about $15-20 on eBay. The one you want is for a 02-06 Camry. You do NOT want the Lexus one. The Lexus latch has a different lock cylinder keyed for a special sidewinder style key that is difficult to cut a key for. Alot of eBay sellers do not know which version they actually have. I'll show you how to tell the difference. You can see the locking cylinder on the Lexus version has tabs near the front face on either side.

Latches.JPG

Most of these locking latches do not come with a key so you will have to take it to a locksmith and either remove the locking cylinder and re-key it to your FJ's ignition key, or have a new key made to match the new lock. Keep in mind you will have to turn off your FJ if it is running and you want access to the locked glovebox so having a separate key stashed away may be ideal.

How To:

1) Open the glovebox and remove the two phillips head screws that hold the latch on. Squeeze the sides on the back of the box to allow you to tilt the box down for easier access with a screwdriver. (as if removing the box to access the cabin air filter)
20190112_083726.jpg

2) With the latch removed, compare to the new Camry one. Notice the back has 3 holes. Only 2 have a metal threaded insert depending on how lucky you get they most likely will not be the matching ones for your FJ. No problem, just remove the plastic back of your FJ latch and install it on the locking latch. Locate the plastic hinges and insert a flat screwdriver to pop them free.
20190112_084337.jpg
20190112_084805.jpg

At this point you can either continue to take apart and remove the locking cylinder to take to a locksmith to re-key. Look up some youtube videos if you want to attempt the DIY. Otherwise, continue to put it back together if you want a separate key.

3) Transfer the FJ back half to the Camry locking front half by pushing back in the pins. Make sure the small torsion spring is still aligned.

4) Take it to a locksmith and get a key matched. Bolt it back in with the original screws.

You're done! I'm certainly not a locksmith, I've learned some from YT videos doing this mod myself. Before I knew the difference I accidentally purchased the Lexus version and my locksmith was unable to do anything with it. I'm waiting on the Camry latch to take it back to the locksmith and get it re-keyed. Let me know if you get it done yourself!

The black color is not a 100% match but its good enough for me considering you can't see it anyway.
20190112_085120.jpg

Happy modding. :blueblob:

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
G'Day,
The actual part number for the Dark Grey Camry lock is 55506-33030-B0
Could not find a listing for black....
but will keep looking

cheers
Baz
:blueblob:
for 2002-2006 Camry all I can find are grey, stone and fawn for colors..

Interested also.

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
for 2002-2006 Camry all I can find are grey, stone and fawn for colors..

Interested also.
G'Day Lee,
Yes, I had trouble isolating dark grey, most seem to be fawn and stone.... the B0 ..on the end of the number is the colour code...
the actual part number is the first 10 digits.... only certain models came with a locking glove box, many dont have a lock, and most seem to be fawn that do...
Not a hens tooth, but harder to track down the dark grey...

Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
G'Day Lee,
Yes, I had trouble isolating dark grey, most seem to be fawn and stone.... the B0 ..on the end of the number is the colour code...
the actual part number is the first 10 digits.... only certain models came with a locking glove box, many dont have a lock, and most seem to be fawn that do...
Not a hens tooth, but harder to track down the dark grey...

Cheers
Baz
Agree, I did go to a 2007 that had charcoal but all together part number.

I think the 55506-33030-BO is the lock without the cylinder $16 (ish). Check 69056-06010 is the cylinder and keys $65 from Cool Springs Toyota.

55506-33030-BO is the same for 2004-2008 Solara but the keys/cylinder is a different part number.. No black

Thanks,
Lee

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
Agree, I did go to a 2007 that had charcoal but all together part number.

I think the 55506-33030-BO is the lock without the cylinder $16 (ish). Check 69056-06010 is the cylinder and keys $65 from Cool Springs Toyota.

55506-33030-BO is the same for 2004-2008 Solara but the keys/cylinder is a different part number.. No black

Thanks,
Lee
g'Day Lee,
Yes you could be right, its not super clear in the diagrams.... the description reads as follows:
55560A LOCK ASSY, GLOVE COMPARTMENT DOOR
55506-33030-B0 DK.GRAY, TRIM1* 1 $21.51
55506-33030-E0 FAWN, TRIM4*

So, altho it states Lock Assy, it might not include the lock... hard to know ...till some one orders it ... :lol:

Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
As far as I know the Toyota number does not include the actual lock cylinder. I could be wrong Baz.

55506-33030-C0 I think is for the black plastic latch only. If someone could source a lock cylinder to fit it, maybe. But I have no idea.

There are 3 black Camry assemblies on eBay North America right now for less than $20. 2 of those from Canada.

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
As far as I know the Toyota number does not include the actual lock cylinder. Could be wrong Baz.

55506-33030-C0 I think is for the black plastic latch only. If someone could source a lock cylinder to fit it, maybe. But I have no idea.

There are 3 black Camry assemblies on eBay North America right now for less than $20. 2 of those from Canada.
G'Day Devon,
You and Lee could be right.... the only dark grey I could find ( no black as such) was for the 2002 Camry....
all the others were beige and stone ...etc....
If buying 2nd hand ..you get the lock included etc..
hard to know....
Tks
Baz

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
As far as I know the Toyota number does not include the actual lock cylinder. I could be wrong Baz.

You should've bought all the black Camry assemblies you could find, THEN posted this great mod. :rofl:

·
Premium Member
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wonder if that plastic will dye black very well? Or you could paint another color if they get hard to find.

You should've bought all the black Camry assemblies you could find, THEN posted this great mod. :rofl:
I thought about that angle, but figured I'd just post the thread and let you guys have at it. I could even supply the matching keys.

·
Premium Member
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I dropped my lock cylinder off at the locksmith today. I'm having them match a key to it. I'll ask them if its possible to buy the cylinders themselves once I pick it up (cheaper than Toyota dealer prices).

The only downside is I now have to stash another key in the FJ. Have 4 already.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I dropped my lock cylinder off at the locksmith today. I'm having them match a key to it. I'll ask them if its possible to buy the cylinders themselves once I pick it up (cheaper than Toyota dealer prices).

The only downside is I now have to stash another key in the FJ. Have 4 already.
By matching a key, do you mean matching your current FJ key or making a Camry key to fit the lock?
Is there a black model of this or only dark grey?
I assume stone is the lighter grey and then the tan.
I wonder how the tan would take a Sharpie "paint" scheme :)?

Pat

·
Premium Member
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
By matching a key, do you mean matching your current FJ key or making a Camry key to fit the lock?
Is there a black model of this or only dark grey?
I assume stone is the lighter grey and then the tan.
I wonder how the tan would take a Sharpie "paint" scheme :)?

Pat
A new Camry key. There is a black model, that's the one I have.

You could sharpie it, or just buy this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-CAMRY-GLOVE-BOX-DOOR-LATCH-LOCK-HANDLE-ASSEMBLY-BLACK-02-03-04-05-06/273622757383?hash=item3fb52ff007:g:JgUAAOSw-QxcID~Z:rk:1:pf:0

1 - 20 of 49 Posts