Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 262 Posts

· Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First, I want to credit Dragon, as he was first that I know of to do this, and I thought his looked GREAT.

So first.. Materials.

-Latex Gloves
-Index Cards
-Painters Tape
-3M 320 grit sanding blocks
-tarp
-cloths
-tack cloth
-FJ Luminox :browsmiley: (keeping time on your items)
-Dupli-color black primer - 3 cans
-duplicolor Satin Black wheel paint (HWP-104) - 4 cans
-wheel cleaner
-a new elbow

Ok, I have one jack and no jack stands (..aprartment life :crbaby:) , so I am working with two wheels at a time.

First, I cleaned and dried the two wheels I had taken off the FJ.
Next I sanded them with the 320 grit block. You will need two of these at least for all 5 wheels. Then I hit them with a dry cloth then a tack cloth.

I thought I would be able to just use the note cards to catch over spray. Im not sure if it was just because of my wheels, but that didnt work for me. So, here it what I came up with.

I just taped off around the lip of the rim, and then slid note cards behind the tape. It worked out well.

Next I hit the inside of the wheels with 2 coats of black primer. I waited 20 min. in between each coat.

45 min. after the last coat of primer, I put on 2 coats of dupli-color wheel paint (Flat Black). Again, I waited 20 min. in between coats.

For the outside of the wheels, I did everything exactly the same, except I put 4 light coats of wheel paint on.

I was very pleased with the initial results. I have taken a picture with and without the flash, so you can get the idea of how the paint reacts to light.

-without flash-

-with flash-

For the wheel caps. I popped those off. And followed the exact same procedure as the outside of the wheels. (2 coats of primer, 4 coats of wheel paint)

Here are the latest pics.

UPDATE:

I put the wheels back on the truck.

I LIKE.

· Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: How to: Paint your Wheels! -Part 1.-

Did you consider not painting the center caps? Are you planning on purchasing black lug nuts or still using the original set?
In Dragon's write up, he didnt paint the center caps at first, and I was not too keen on the look. I guess he wasn't either as he ended up painting them. I will run my original lug nuts at first. I will buy the black ones if it doesn't look good.

Any suggestions on where to get lug black lug nuts. And what size do I order? Or do they come in size? I confused myself.:roller:

· Registered
3,687 Posts

· Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

· Registered
3,687 Posts

Cool! Thanks!

One question though. If I get a flat, can I still change my tires?
Yes they give you the socket/key that fits the lugs that will fit any 1/2" socket.

· Registered
1,403 Posts

Nice job Chris. It's looking sweet! can't wait to see them on your FJ.

· Registered
73 Posts

I went out and pulled the center cap off one of my "Stack O Wheels" and realized you can disassemble the center cap. Removing the symbol and painting the center cap black with the toyota symbol silver and chrome lug nuts would be a nice accent.

· Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

My wheels have been drying 2 1/2 hours.

Do you think they are dry enough to put them back on?

· Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Updated first post.

· Registered
2,009 Posts

I like that look a lot... I may have to give it a shot.

· Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Looks great
Looks good, makes me question my plans of off loading my alloys. Maybe just sell the rubber and mount some nasty rubber for those wheeling weekends.
Looking good....I want black rims as well...but not sure I want to paint my alloys. Can't wait to see how this all turns out.
Nice job Chris. It's looking sweet! can't wait to see them on your FJ.
I like that look a lot... I may have to give it a shot.

Thanks for the comments people!

· Sockless Superstar
15,216 Posts

A+

***** (five stars)

Excellent!

Well Done!!

and if that were not enough,

Rep!

Great write up, sir. I didn't do it half as well as you and mine have held up very very well. I think you will be pleased. It totally changed the look of your FJ and in my humble opinion, it looks badass! :)

· Registered
498 Posts

Looks really, really nice. I paid extra for the alloy wheels and now kick myself for not getting the stock steely's. Was even considering spening 400 + for after market black steels but now you got me thinking. How do you think the wheel paint will hold up?

· Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

A+

***** (five stars)

Excellent!

Well Done!!

and if that were not enough,

Rep!

Great write up, sir. I didn't do it half as well as you and mine have held up very very well. I think you will be pleased. It totally changed the look of your FJ and in my humble opinion, it looks badass! :)
Thanks man! That really means a lot coming from you (and your FJ).

1 - 20 of 262 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.