Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not the feline variety.

The scum sucking bottom feeders in these parts love the Toyota cats as they seem to have more Platinum in em than others. (Thanks for trying to save the planet Toyota) lol.
They seem to like the ease of the higer rigs like the Taco's & FJ's as they can just roll under with a cordless sawzaw and be gone in two minutes.
Anyone make a skid plate that covers this area or some such theft deterent?

Thanks
GB

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Where are you located?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where are you located?
South Central Vermont.

We've had a few trucks hit in my small town, more in the surrounding area.
When Toyota was buying back trucks with the rusty frame issue, they hit all the turn in's one dealer had ready to ship back one night.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I have MAF skids that help a little and then I bolted a .090 piece of aluminum to the 2 existing holes in the frame to at least slow them down if they want to steal it. The drivers side is too much trouble to steal as the front drive line is right there.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Wow... add another thing to the list of lowlife activities...

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I think this is an urban ledgend, everyone knows someone that heard it about someone but cant put a name on it. This subject pops up on the internet or the news avery couple of years. Speaking of the news, remember the summer of shark attacks? the media hyped that so much people are still scared to go in the water, when in actuallity it was one if not THE lowest attack years in recorded history.
In other words, dont worry about it. If you do, well ya might as surround your truck with lazer activated pit bulls, there are many more things that are quicker, quieter, and easier to steal and actually find someone to sell to on your FJ than the CATs

·
Registered
538 Posts
It's actually a lot more common than you think and will cost you over $1000 each to replace. Toyota SUVs and trucks are the favorite targets as mentioned in the first post.

In a world where people are scavenging copper from homes for the $50 or so, it's not hard to believe people are stealing cat converters for their value in precious metals.

BTW, those who've been victims have said it generally takes less than five minutes to steal.

Here's one newsgroup thread from the Bay Area from 2007, and the problem's only gotten worse:

Catalytic Converter Theft. Toyota Truck/SUV owners beware! - Topix

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
well if they want it, it will be taken. nothing you can do but move to fiji.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Happened here in Pa., right from our fleet parking lot. In one weekend 19 trucks were hit, every single one. Were in an industrial park that see's almost no activity on the weekends & it's quite far out of ear shot from the nearest house. Those guy's could have set up a generator, plasma cutter & lights & no one would have noticed. I parked the FJ there a few times on the weekends when using one of the service trucks, but never again. It's big money here...

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Last year, the Park N Ride lots around here were a big target.

Lots of cars, with minimal activity during the day while everyone is off at work.

If I still worked somewhere that I could ride the bus to work, I'd have been a bit more concerned. But since I park in the garage at home and we have an electrified perimeter fence at work, I don't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
F'n crazy... I guess we shouldn't be surprised by people. :flame:

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think this is an urban ledgend, everyone knows someone that heard it about someone but cant put a name on it. This subject pops up on the internet or the news avery couple of years. Speaking of the news, remember the summer of shark attacks? the media hyped that so much people are still scared to go in the water, when in actuallity it was one if not THE lowest attack years in recorded history.
In other words, dont worry about it. If you do, well ya might as surround your truck with lazer activated pit bulls, there are many more things that are quicker, quieter, and easier to steal and actually find someone to sell to on your FJ than the CATs
Uh, according to the Icthyology Department of the Florida Museum of Natural History even though there has been a decreasing trend in fatalities since the 1900s, the past 30 years have been fairly flat and examination of the data from the 2000s demonstrate that it was actually a pretty average year for shark fatalities; while attacks were on the high side.
shark attack/fatality data by decade
shark attack/fatality data for past decade
of course there are temporal problems with the data such as unreported incidents due to historical reporting inaccuracies and advances in transportation and medical treatment, but at least I'm posting data to talk about.
Where did you get your data?:cool:

·
Registered
122 Posts
just run a straight pipe with CEL eliminators ;)

One of the shops I shoot for had a car brought in with this "catdamp".. the owner bought a car used with this thing on.. it took their tech 10 minutes to take it off.. If one wants, one will get to your cat.

·
Premium Member
13,482 Posts
The FJ is insured, let them steal the cats.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts