Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only tested this on a Kenwood DNX7100 with Garmin GPS, but I'm guessing it will work on most, if not all Garmins.

1. Install Garmin Mapsource Topo USA 2008 onto your computer.

2. Install Garmin City Navigator North America NT 2008 (or 2009 - I've only tested with 2008 though, but can't see 2009 being any different) onto your computer.

3. Unlock maps. I didn't have to unlock the topo dvd, but did have to unlock the city navigator dvd.

4. Run the program MapInstall.exe

5. The next screen should ask you to find device. This is where you put in your sd card or connect your garmin device to the computer.

6. After locating the device and clicking next, you'll come to the screen with the City Navigator map. You can zoom in and out, but basically what you want to do is select whatever parts of the country you want updated in your garmin.

I'm guessing you could probably skip this step if you already have updated map information in your garmin, I was doing a map update as well.

7. In the drop down menu at the bottom choose TOPO US 2008

8. Topo maps take up a lot more space than the city maps, so I'd suggest just selecting the locations where you will actually be using the topo maps rather than selecting the entire country.

9. When you're finished click next and the next screen will tell you to "Press finish to build your map set and install your maps"...so click finish. This process will take around an hour, give or take a little depending on how much data you're working with. Grab a beer, watch some tv, read the forums, dance, spend time with your loved ones, poop, etc.

10. If you're using a portable garmin unit, I'm guessing you're probably done now. If you're using an SD card, you're almost there.

11. Start your vehicle, press the eject button for a second or two to access the sd card slot in your kenwood. Slide the card in and return the screen to its normal position.

12. Turn your vehicle off. I tried just shutting off the kenwood, it didn't work. When you turn your vehicle back on, the kenwood should load the maps from the card.

(sorry for the bad photos)

13. To use the topo maps, go into settings.

14. Click Map

15. Scroll all the way down to Detail Maps, its the second to last one.

16. Inside you'll find both Topo U.S. 2008 and City Navigator enabled.

The city navigator map seems to cover the topo maps, so you need to disable it, by clicking on it and choosing disabled, click ok.

17. With City Navigator disabled you can now see the topo maps. Click back a bunch of times to get to the main screen, click view map

...and thats about it. This was tested with a Kenwood DNX7100. Like I said, I'm only guessing it'll work on other Garmins.

I've also discovered, that you need to keep the sd card in the Kenwood to access the updated maps and the topo maps. If you take it out, it defaults back to normal. I'd imagine there's a way to fix this, but I haven't figured that out yet. Still with SD cards costing next to nothing, its not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for this awesome post. I'm assume this would work for the 7120 as well. I think I'm going to pick this unit soon.

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
I'm just about to load these to my 8120.

By the way Kenwood has discontinued the 7100 completely in favor of the 7120 and I believe the 7120 will be discontinued very soon in favor of the 8120

The 8120 is only about $100 and in my opinion well worth it since the bluetooth add-on is $200 and bluetooth is built into the 8120.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Can you let us know how the topos work with the 8120. I want to pick up this head unit, just want to make sure the topos work. Thanks...

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
Can you let us know how the topos work with the 8120. I want to pick up this head unit, just want to make sure the topos work. Thanks...
The maps loaded to the 8120 fine. I haven't played with it much because I'm waiting for the NT 2009 update to arrive. But it works like the other posts describe for the 7100/7120

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
What size SD card did you use? I've got the 7100, and I know that some components will only read a certain size SD card.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used a 2gb card, its actually one of those mini sd cards with the adapters, I used it in my old cellphone. No problems with it.

Its pretty easy to find 2gb cards online for under $10 now. After I figure out how to put my own trails into topo maps, I may try some bigger cards. It looks like 4gb cards are $10-$15.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
My custom Topo for the entire state of CO came in at just over 1gb (at about 20k:1 resolution). This includes city select v. 6 for CO, some of NM, and UT. Custom topos don't take up much room unless you're doing the whole country.

I want an 8120!!

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
I'm so glad to find this! I needed a Topo for SAR stuff, and now I don't have to buy one! I noticed though that Wayne used the CD-Rom version. I thought you had to use the SD version for this deck. Can you just use the CD-Version and then put it onto the SD card? Anyone want to sell me their updates since they are done with them? :)

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
I'm using a 4gb card (just happened to be what I had sitting around) with the 8120 but it does have more voltage to the USB bus. I think you will only get a 2gb to work with the 7100/7120 series.

My mapset includes all of the City Streets, Topos for all of the Northwestern states and all of the 24k Western national parks. My image file compiled to just over 1.5 mb. It took about 3 hours to compile but it did work. In fact I not only have all the map data on the SD card but over 100 custom POIs and it works great!

For the Garmin POI loader see: Garmin: POI Loader (make sure you get the 2.5.2 version or greater.)

Now all I need to do is figure out how to load the customn FJ icon like the NUVI uers have....

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
I just uploaded 2009 city nt , Topo US and 24k Parks US. I also have all the Canada Topos americas Bluewater, Mexico, Europe, and the middle east. I would be willing to help someone out with the maps. PM me.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
I just tried to look up which map update I needed for the DNX 7100, and it looks like the Garmin site is having a problem with the updates.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Check it out, I just figured out how to download tracks, waypoints, poi's and all the junk saved on my dnx7100:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...i-s-etc-your-kenwood-dnx7100.html#post1052008

Teejeaux, I used the dvds, they will install to an sd card, you just need to have the sd card installed to run the new maps.
I wonder, if you use this same method, if you could bypass using the SD card, and just load all the maps to the HDD.

Is Mapsource a product that's supposed to come with the Garmin stuff? Or is it a separate product to buy?

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
I wonder, if you use this same method, if you could bypass using the SD card, and just load all the maps to the HDD.

Is Mapsource a product that's supposed to come with the Garmin stuff? Or is it a separate product to buy?
Mapsource is Garmin's GUI for all their mapping products. It comes bundled with any mapsoruce DVD.

I'm going to do this real soon. I really want to figure out how to add my FJ map marker. One thing that you need to know is exactly how much space you have to play with on the internal HDD and I want to find out how everything is laid out. It is a LUNIX operating system so if you do plug it into your laptop be careful with what you mess with.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
1gb internal

1 - 20 of 58 Posts