Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate when a new car dealer thinks it is OK for them to stick their advertising all over your new vehicle without asking. :flame:

So, I managed to pick the dealer's shiny silver emblem off the tailgate with my finger nails without damaging the paint, with quite a bit of effort. Getting rid of the advertising license plate frame was easy enough.

The dealer also decided it would be a good idea to install a massive ugly sticker on my door sill that says to tow it to the dealership if it is in an accident. It is really obnoxious and I want it gone, but I can't get it to budge. Any ideas on how I can get this thing off of my door without damaging the paint?

-FJ Florida-

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Just add a little heat(a summer day will suffice) but since its not summer use a heat gun(be careful you dont need much heat and you dont want to get it your paint too hot) or a safer alternative is a hair dryer. Just add heat(dont hold dryer in one spot, act like you are spray painting) After applying a little heat it will peel easy, then use goo gone to remove adhesive residue or 3M 08984(its awesome).

After residue is removed and if you can still see an outline where the sticker was, use a quality rubbing compound(Maguiers or similar) and it works like wax, rub it over the area then wipe off, Youre done....then wax the area if youre anal like me :)

PS I dont advertise either for dealerships unless the pay me too:)

·
Premium Member
6,588 Posts
That's just rude. I hate dealerships that put that type of stuff on a new car. Glad those trends never caught on out here on the west coast. I'd be tempted to go back to the dealer and have them do it--for free.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Good luck - but yes, heat should do it. Elmers also makes some goo-off stuff, as well as Ortho.

I told my dealer that when my FJ arrives I will walk away if there are any dealer things on it. Luckily, they said they don't do that crap anyway. They still tried to hand me the plastic plate frame :)

Congrats on the new ride!!!!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice folks. It's going to be around 90 this week, which is probably why I was able to pick the dealer's silver plastic name plate off the tailgate today. I have not been able to get it to budge until today.

I will park it with the door facing the noon sun and then apply a hair dryer to the obnoxious door sticker to see if I can get it to budge. I mean, this thing is seriously huge and obnoxious. I would have told them I would walk away from the deal if they put it on there, but I had no idea they were going to add their "dealer bling" crap inside the door of my FJ. Why not just put it on the dash, maybe a vehicle wrap, on the windshield, and ... oh wait ... they did that too with their maintenance reminder sticker on the windshield. I know when and where to get service. Just another sticker to get their name in my face I guess. I also discarded three dealer key chains. I also discarded the dealer plastic envelope holding the owner's manual, complete with several dealer business cards and a dealership maintenance flyer. How much is too much? Seriously ...

-FJ Florida-

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
I would go back to the dealer and tell them to take it off. That way they screw it up the can fix it for free. Go right to the GM of the dealership and tell him or her you don't want need it and them ask them for bunch of free stuff just for the aggravation

·
Registered
322 Posts
hairdryer
+1. This is how I got mine off. Taking all their crap off was the first thing I did when I got home. I hate being a billboard.

It's one thing to put the stupid license plates on it. However, It's the other thing that really pisses me off, having to pull 3 stickers off.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I just pealed it off then used some goobegone and its like nothing was there

·
Registered
143 Posts
another thing that works well if its a big silvery tag is fishing line just use it to "scissors through the tape and your good. maybe a little goo gone.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I brought mine back to the dealership the next day and had them remove it. they had no problem doing it and said i was the first to ask that. I told them it would be nice to ask before they put it on. They dont pay me to advertise for them, but they treat me great over there and word of mouth is better i think. Oh WD-40 works to remove any sticky stuff that might be left.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hah! Thanks! Hair dryer = success! :cheers:

When I bought it in January, it was so cold no wonder I could not budge it. There is not a single trace of the dealer left anywhere on my FJ.

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
29 Posts
If a dealer did this in California, it would be considered a crime! They always try the license plate trick, but that goes right in the trash. When I lived in VA, I always told the dealer I wouldn't even take delivery of a car if it had his advertising on it. Back then, they used to drill two holes and place a dealers name plate on the trunk of the car.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I always specify not to put anything on any car I buy! When I picked up my FJ, they had their little sticker on the back, but it had only been on for an hour or two, so I gladly picked it off right in front of the saleman and reminded him of what I had said. Of course he blamed it on the prep guys saying he told them about it....

I cannot believe there was a sticker inside saying where to tow the vehicle - I have never seen or heard of anything like that!! If you snapped a pic before you took it off I would love to see it - that sounds crazy!

When we bought my wifes car she wanted it debadged and so we asked the service guys if they would do it and they said sure! They nicked a penicl tip of paint and she saw it so they had the "paint" guy come in the next day and fix it. Let them do it is my advice!

I debadged my TT myself and there are 2-3 very faint marks in the paint from my prying at the badges, even using a hairdryer they were tough!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I always specify not to put anything on any car I buy! When I picked up my FJ, they had their little sticker on the back, but it had only been on for an hour or two, so I gladly picked it off right in front of the saleman and reminded him of what I had said. Of course he blamed it on the prep guys saying he told them about it....

I cannot believe there was a sticker inside saying where to tow the vehicle - I have never seen or heard of anything like that!! If you snapped a pic before you took it off I would love to see it - that sounds crazy!

When we bought my wifes car she wanted it debadged and so we asked the service guys if they would do it and they said sure! They nicked a penicl tip of paint and she saw it so they had the "paint" guy come in the next day and fix it. Let them do it is my advice!

I debadged my TT myself and there are 2-3 very faint marks in the paint from my prying at the badges, even using a hairdryer they were tough!
Fortunately, I have very tough finger nails, so no nicked paint. Also no marks left on paint from dealer logo on rear and the door sticker.

The tow sticker really was arrogant to the max staring you in the face every time you open the driver's door. About 2 inches by 6 inches, complete with, "NOTICE! In the Event of Accident Tow to: Dealer Name, Address, Phone, Web Site Address, We Work With All Insurance Companies."

Not any more.

-FJ Florida-

1 - 19 of 19 Posts