Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a work in progress how to
I got a tiny bit of diff fluid on my favorite jacket :mecry:
So far i have tried 3 scrubs/overnight soaks with dawn dish soap, carpet cleaner with oxy clean and 2 HD wash cycles but i can still smell it

Next i'm going to try simple green and more scrubbing. If that doesn't work possibly brake cleaner. Anyone know if brake cleaner will melt polyester?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Try Simple Green. I've been using that stuff to break down grease and gear oil for years, like when I rebuilt a monster manual transmission and installed a Detroit locker in a Dana 44 differential. It has worked so well at removing oil residue that I can clean metal castings good enough to paint them afterwards. It also has been pretty good at removing strong odors.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I love the smell of gear oil. There's just something about that 90 weight...

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,237 Posts
Not sure if it ever really comes out. I got some on a pair of cammies once, everytime I ironed that spot with a steam iron I could smell the gear oil.

I agree with trying simple green, I love that stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
I was a certified mech. for 12 years. I use orange citrus oil hand cleaner. Apply generaously, let soak for 30-60 minutes, then wash.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I was a certified mech. for 12 years. I use orange citrus oil hand cleaner. Apply generaously, let soak for 30-60 minutes, then wash.

RIGHT! That's another good cleanser, Orange Citrus based cleaners. We use that here at work to clean oil based liquid color and it works like nothing else.

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,237 Posts
Thanks for the tip! Will have to store that one in the brain housing group for the next time it happens.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Man I feel your pain. I bought a case of gear oil and left it in the rear cargo area of the FJ for about a week. Nothing was leaking but the smell must have permeated into the truck cause after coming off the freeway for instance the whole interior smells like gear oil or propane. It's nasty and all my passengers notice it. I'm about to Frebreeze that ****.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts