Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
This SHOULD BE A 'TECH' THREAD' !.... but for non-side airbag models !... ;)

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Thanks for the pics. I need to remove the headliner to track down a minor rack leak. I've been putting it off because I've been dreading it. It WILL happens this summer though.

No problem pulling the headliner out without removing the rear seats?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the pics. I need to remove the headliner to track down a minor rack leak. I've been putting it off because I've been dreading it. It WILL happens this summer though.

No problem pulling the headliner out without removing the rear seats?
Not a problem, you do have to fold the liner in half-ish (about 20%) temporarily to pull it out the back. It leaves some creases, but they come out after a few days. That is the hardest part of removing it.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Not a problem, you do have to fold the liner in half-ish (about 20%) temporarily to pull it out the back. It leaves some creases, but they come out after a few days. That is the hardest part of removing it.
If you remove the back side plastic panels can the headliner be removed without creasing it? My headliner is mint, so I don't want to crease it or get it dirty/smuggled when it's removed.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you remove the back side plastic panels can the headliner be removed without creasing it? My headliner is mint, so I don't want to crease it or get it dirty/smuggled when it's removed.
The limiting factor is the size of the rear door, the headliner is wider than the door way. Depending on what you need to do, it is possible you could just drop it in place and make the fix without removing the headliner from the FJ.

If you lay down all the seats (or remove the rear seats, though the front seat may still pose some problems) then you could possibly remove the headliner at a diagonal to the rear door way. I didn't do this but I'll guess it will fit without bending this way.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
The limiting factor is the size of the rear door, the headliner is wider than the door way. Depending on what you need to do, it is possible you could just drop it in place and make the fix without removing the headliner from the FJ.

If you lay down all the seats remove the rear seats then you could possibly remove the headliner at a diagonal to the rear door way. I didn't do this but I'll guess it will fit without bending this way.
Gotcha. I need to run with the headliner removed for an unknown number of days so I can determine exactly where/how the water is coming in and how to fix it.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Thanks Ruebarb, I removed mine awhile back by myself when I drilled my roof and installed the through the roof connectors, Headliner was actually really easy, and managed it by myself. I wish I would have had time to take pics like you did. Again, thanks for the time you put into this. Cant wait to see how you integrate your headliner with your new OH console!

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
nylon panel removal tool?

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Why not just remove the two front seats and fold down the rears?

Toyota has to get it in there without folding it. I would be willing to bet the headliner is installed way before the seats are.

edit: just to add. My Dad owns an auto upholstery shop and they do headliners all the time, and i have recovered probably 5-6 when i worked there in my teens. For most SUVs, the seats either had to be folded down or removed unless the headliner was really small. Some cars were like this as well.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Why not just remove the two front seats and fold down the rears?

Toyota has to get it in there without folding it. I would be willing to bet the headliner is installed way before the seats are.
:thinkerg: duh. :wave:

·
The Laughing Member
2007 FJ Cruiser, 2021 4Runner, 2002 Lexus SC420
9,119 Posts
This SHOULD BE A 'TECH' THREAD' !
Agreed. :bigthumb:

Hey ruebarb, could you go back and put in some narrative to describe what's taking place in the above pics? (And, drop me a PM to let me know when you got it done.)

Like bandi says, this would make a great Tech Article thread. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Agreed. :bigthumb:

Hey ruebarb, could you go back and put in some narrative to describe what's taking place in the above pics? (And, drop me a PM to let me know when you got it done.)

Like bandi says, this would make a great Tech Article thread. :cheers:
Will do, I'll add some text, hopefully this week. Also the tech article will need to be updated when I am done.

I really didn't think everyone would be so excited about the headliner removal, is why I did such a basic write-up as it was only part of my overhead console project.

·
Registered
62 Posts
if you know its a rack mount causing the leak leave headliner in and just remove rack mounting hardware and just put sealant on the bolts,i put a gobi on mine last week and when i removed factory rack one of the nutsert brackets on the under side fell off and i had to drop mine in the front to get to it and put back ,pain in the ass.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts