Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently replaced my stock 2012 FJ's headlight bulbs with the highly recommended Sylvania SilverStar Ultra and was doing some night driving and stumbled onto something I remembered I found I could do with my 1995 Toyota 4Runner headlight stalk on this FJ too.

If you want to run your High beams and your Low beams at the same time - just position the stalk right in between the two - it will stay put.

I realize a ton of you have already figured this out years ago... but I have shown a ton of my friends who had no idea it could be done.

Don't try it on the highway... just do it from a complete stop. It really helps when your high beams are on which cancels out your lows beams... and that is just when you notice a varmint of some kind run out right before you squash it.

So let there be light... and more of it. Thanks for the forum all. Cheers - Brian

Edit - Thanks for moving this to the Moderators. I will be more careful next time.

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,853 Posts
While that sounds somewhat useful, maybe be careful.

I would want to assume the OE system not designed to use both at once is probably not up to par to consistently handle the amperage for running both modes at once. Sure it wont fail immediately, but it cant be good for it. Watch for partially melted connectors ect. Also watch the housings....LOT of heat....especially if you have already upped the bulb wattage with those Silverstars.

But I think this stuff is all just relayed, so maybe the only real concern is the things handling both...like the bulb ground and housing itself.

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
The issue will be bulb life.

Brighter bulbs naturally have a shorter life than the stock ones (in general life/brightness tend to be on opposite sides of the equation).

Running both at the same time won't hurt anything in the vehicle because they run off two separate power sources, but it will overheat the headlight unit itself. In best case, the bulbs will burn out a little faster still (due to excessive heat). In worst case, the headlight housing would melt. Possibly it won't, since some margin is designed in (YMMV).

N

·
Registered
74 Posts
I never knew this till now. You learn something new every day I guess. I’ll have to try this out tonight on a back road somewhere.

(The closest I’ve come to doing something like this is having my turn signal stalk get stuck partially to one side without it actually being clicked into place haha)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is there a simple way to modify the wiring to keep the low beams on when switching to high?
My previous GRJ120 Prado was like that by default.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts