Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very new to off-roading and just bought an FJ. My son has a Jeep XJ and we have been off-roading several times and he most always drove. He and his XJ are now in Colorado Springs and I now have my own. I bought an 08 with 4x4, A-Trac and RR Diff Lock. The previous owner was no help with instructions.

Maybe I should have learned this before buying, but oh well...

Can someone tell me how or point me to a thread for information about when to use a-trac, rr diff lock and when/how to actually shift into the different 4x4 gears.

Thanks and sorry for the total rookie question.

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
You can shift to H4 on the fly. I think you can be going up to 20mph. To shift to L4, drop into neutral first, shift to L4, and then back to drive.

·
Registered
717 Posts
everyone had to start somewhere.
Here is what I do the rr locker and A track you need to be in 4 low. I leave the a-track on most of the time since it kicks in only when really needed. As for the locker it comes in handy once in awhile.

this link should help understand the FJ Toyota.com : Vehicles : FJ Cruiser : Bulletin

If I use 4 wheel drive on the highway it is because of snow.
Read your FJ book that will help and when you get a chance come out with other FJ people. Just watch the forum. It's great to meet the folks and you learn while doing.

Mike

·
Registered
39 Posts
I read the manual the other day and I believe it said you can shift into 4wd on the fly under 50mph. For 4-lo, I think it said to stop, put car into neutral, then shift into 4lo. Look in the manual and it gives specifics for max speeds, shifting, etc.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all...my FJ comes to me tomorrow and I will certainly read the manual...just a little anxious...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts