Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
My supercharger belt has been looking pretty ragged for a while and it was starting to worry me. It was time to change it. I wasn't able to find any "how to" threads so I thought I would add my own so that others can benefit from my experience. My mechanical training consists of 9 weeks of Freshman autoshop (1982) and owning a Jeep TJ for 10 years.

The belt has 9505 miles on it and is the original belt. I ordered a spare belt shortly after having the supercharger installed and I installed that belt. The replacement belt is the same make (Dayco) as the original belt. As you can see, the original belt has multiple cracks in it.

First, remove the skid plate. I have the stock skids so 4 bolts (12mm socket) need to be removed and the skid comes right off.

Next, using a Harbor Frieght serpentine belt tool I rotated the tensioner arm up to release the tension in the supercharger belt and removed the belt from the supercharger pulley.

Next, from underneath, the tensioner needs to be removed. This is accomplished by removing 2 nuts (14mm deep socket), and 1 bolt located on the drivers side (12mm socket).

The tensioner slides off towards the fan. Be sure to leave pulleys and spacers on the studs.

The old belt can now be removed. Feed the new belt from above and place on the lower pulleys, leave a loop in the belt for the tensioner pulley. Be sure to check for proper belt routing on the sticker under your hood. Also check to make sure the belt is aligned properly on the pulleys.

Reinstall the belt tensioner. Be sure to start the bolt prior to tightening down the 2 nuts.

From above, using the Harbor Frieght tool, swing the tensioner arm up and slip the belt over the supercharger pulley and then release the tensioner arm. Be sure to observe proper belt routing and alignment. Recheck belt alignment on the lower pulleys.

Reinstall skid plate and your done.

edit: The Toyota replacement belt # is PTR30-35070 or a Dayco 5PK1790.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thankyou for posting this, I too need to change my belt but I couldnt get the exact size i got 5mm smaller what do think .
I cant remember exactly now but I think it was 5PK 2790 and I got 5mm less 2785

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
The Toyota replacement belt # is PTR30-35070 or a Dayco 5PK1790. This has been the belt that I have replaced it with about 6 or 7 times now. They last about 10,000 miles then crack to $h!t. This is not like the original belt when I first installed my SC. That one had cross groves as well as the standard 5 rib design. It lasted 3 times longer but I have not been able to find one like it. It does however get really easy to change after the first couple of times.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Awesome thread should be a sticky!! Thank you

Has anyone ever broken a belt on the road and can you still drive to get home or to a shop? Stranded??

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Awesome thread should be a sticky!! Thank you

Has anyone ever broken a belt on the road and can you still drive to get home or to a shop? Stranded??
I haven't broken a belt but I did run it without one to diagnose a bearing failure in the SC. It did run but not very well. You could easily limp it back to wherever but I always carry a spare (both of them).

·
Registered
188 Posts
i'm glad i found this thread. I have two questions though.

1. removing the front skid is necessary to access what?

2. Is this a service that can be covered under warranty?

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
i'm glad i found this thread. I have two questions though.

1. removing the front skid is necessary to access what?

2. Is this a service that can be covered under warranty?
Removing the front skid allows access to the tensioner bolts.

Belts are a wear item and are not covered under warranty unless defective. But the dealer would be happy to change out your belts for a fee. :)

·
Trail Snail
3,246 Posts
Thanks a lot jtinidaho!

Just changed mine, thanks to your instructions.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
10,000 on my SC, so time to change the belt. Used the instructions here and everything appears to have gone OK. It took way longer than I expected, ~4 hours, but it was my first SC belt change so I took my time. That time included removing/installing Ricochet skids.

I used the Harbor Freight serpentine belt tool which was on sale for $18. I went with a Gatorback belt this time just to be different. New belt was tight to put on, I really had to crank on the tensioner arm to get it on. The old belt didn't require as much effort on the tensioner to remove so the old belt was probably stretched a bit. Old belt looked like the one pictured by the OP.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just changed my SC belt. It had 50k miles on it....had some cracks, but once it was off I examined it and it still had more life in it.

I went in from the top and changed it no problem....no removing skids and such. I did buy a GearWrench serpentine belt wrench, which is a cool tool. It doubles as a ratcheting breaker bar, which I used to remove the pulley bolts also. Yes, it's a little awkward fishing the belt back on, but if I had to change it again I could do it in 30 minutes.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Well, I'll add to my last post, which was 2 years ago :) I just changed the SC belt again, but it was due to an alternator failure, so I had to take it off anyway to get to the main serpentine belt (which I also changed, along with all the pulleys). I'll add a twist to this: take the fan and shroud off......gives you tons of room to work from above, and really doesn't take long. You remove the top radiator cover (plastic pop thingys), overflow tank (3 bolts), fan (4 bolts), and then shroud (2 bolts) and pull the fan and shroud out together. Now you have so much room for activities!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts