Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a heck of a time winding the steel winch cable on properly. I can get the first layer on the drum fine, but subsequent layers get messier, especially at the edges near the sides of the drum. Anyone have any tips or maybe even videos/tutorials ?

Also seemed to have pinched the cable during a pull and it kind of pancaked the cable in one section, none of the threads broke, but do you guys think its necessary to replace?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
post a pic....a flat spot is definitely weaker....but doesn't mean it needs to be replaced...it's the old paperclip theory....you can bend it only so much until it breaks....wire rope can handle a serious amount of abuse before it needs to be replaced.....on second thought replace it with synthetic and I'll help you dispose of your wire rope:rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
577 Posts
Just go slowly, get someone to help you so you can watch the spool, its hard not to go to fast while holding the remote and trying to guide it on evenly.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
It is best to give it a nice stretch initially before use, and just get a nice tick gloves and take your time feeding it. you don't want to see it go over itself otherwise you will have way more kinks. That is my experience.

·
Registered
116 Posts
When you are spoollng in the cable have the feed angled back a little towards the previous wrap and it will lock in tight on each turn. It also helps to take a soft Mallet and hit the cable towards the locking screw on the first few wraps on the drum so as to give the subsequent layers a good base to wind on to.
Cheers.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Kevin, I don't know if you have Bill Burke's "Getting Prepare" video or not, but I believe it has a very good video of spooling in it.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Kevin, find a local park or something of the sort with a slant to it. You want your vehicle to roll in neutral. Park the FJ at the bottom and attach the winch to a tree or sturdy post (if using a tree, use a tree saver).(also, make sure you are wearing heavy duty leather gloves)
Let the winch cable out so that you have at least one full wrap on the spool. Put the FJ in neutral so that a decent bit of tension is on the cable. Then, with your hand guiding the cable, and the other hand on the winch controller, start to reel in the cable. This allows you to have a tight roll on the winch drum. This is the best method i have found and may take a few times of going back and forth to get it right.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Kevin, find a local park or something of the sort with a slant to it. You want your vehicle to roll in neutral. Park the FJ at the bottom and attach the winch to a tree or sturdy post (if using a tree, use a tree saver).(also, make sure you are wearing heavy duty leather gloves)
Let the winch cable out so that you have at least one full wrap on the spool. Put the FJ in neutral so that a decent bit of tension is on the cable. Then, with your hand guiding the cable, and the other hand on the winch controller, start to reel in the cable. This allows you to have a tight roll on the winch drum. This is the best method i have found and may take a few times of going back and forth to get it right.
x2, but it helps to have someone in the drive's seat making sure the wheels stay straight, a firend, spouse, teenager...they all work, just don't use your dog...(long story).

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
x2, but it helps to have someone in the drive's seat making sure the wheels stay straight, a firend, spouse, teenager...they all work, just don't use your dog...(long story).
Dog??? My puppy can see over the steering wheel so that wouldn't be an option, haha.

I just keep the window down and the engine running. If i need to adjust the wheels just slightly i can walk over and still be reeling in.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
You should only *have to* do this the first time you spool the cable....and this should ALWAYS be done (reeled in under tension) on a new winch before you ever use it.

The easiest way to spool evenly is to use your body weight and lean into the cable (let it slide against your hip) as you slowly spool it on the drum.

HTH,
Sean

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the tips, I already stretched the cable out when I first got it.. It sounds like getting it wound on the drum nicely is just a matter of practice.

Will let you guys know how it goes as well as take a pic of the flattened spot in the cable.:bigthumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts