Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I got this: MIC TUNING INC off road auto accessories

It's a basic USB extension for the FJC. However, there is something strange about it and before I wire it up I'd like to ask if anyone has the same thing wired. The bottom port is basically a USB-through that goes in the back of the radio head units USB port. No problem there.

But the top port needs to be wired to power. So here's the wiring diagram:

And here's the thing itself:

Notice that the wire with a U-shaped "half ring" at the end to bolt it underneath a screw is RED, whereas the BLACK wire has a push pin style connector to plug it into a hole.

The wiring diagram says the ring connector should go to ground. Isn't it strange that the RED wire should go to ground and the BLACK wire should go to power?

Can I damage the adapter when I wire it the wrong way round?

Of course the instructions on the box are not in English, and the manufacturer does not seem to reply to my e-mail to their support address.

Anyone can help?

·
Registered
933 Posts
The guy assembling the wiring probably switched the connectors while crimping them on. Just take the assembly to the car battery and touch the leads to see if it lights up and you'll figure out which is ground and which is positive. There won't be any damage if you reverse the polarity.

-B

Hi all, I got this: MIC TUNING INC off road auto accessories

It's a basic USB extension for the FJC. However, there is something strange about it and before I wire it up I'd like to ask if anyone has the same thing wired. The bottom port is basically a USB-through that goes in the back of the radio head units USB port. No problem there.

But the top port needs to be wired to power. So here's the wiring diagram:

And here's the thing itself:

Notice that the wire with a U-shaped "half ring" at the end to bolt it underneath a screw is RED, whereas the BLACK wire has a push pin style connector to plug it into a hole.

The wiring diagram says the ring connector should go to ground. Isn't it strange that the RED wire should go to ground and the BLACK wire should go to power?

Can I damage the adapter when I wire it the wrong way round?

Of course the instructions on the box are not in English, and the manufacturer does not seem to reply to my e-mail to their support address.

Anyone can help?

Reactions: Wizfinger

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I touched the wires on the battery and indeed the red wire is the positive terminal. The other way round the light did not go on, and it did not explode either.

Problem solved!

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'm glad it all worked out for you!

-B

Thank you, I touched the wires on the battery and indeed the red wire is the positive terminal. The other way round the light did not go on, and it did not explode either.

Problem solved!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts