Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot of blackout pictures and discussion where people use off the shelf bedliner in a spray can to paint their bumpers, corners, grills, etc...

I know a lot of trucks I see with Linex and such in the bed have a whiteish look to them, I assume from years of weather and water.

I'm wondering how well this stuff holds up on plastic parts on the FJC, and if it would be worth attempting to do it myself, or take my parts in to a body shop to have them painted professionally with some other auto paint. Will it last a long time, or would I have to respray it every few months or so?

I did a search but didn't really see any discussion around longevity.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've used various spray on bedliners in my wheel well to attempt at some form of sound deadening for the last year or so. They always come off...that's with a lot of constant damage from rocks though.

I agree with using a roll on bedliner.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
what would you guys recommend/use on the trunk plastics? mine are all scratched from tools, parts, furniture, etc and I want to once and for all put some bedliner.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
The thing is that the bling plate is metal right?? I am scared that the bedliner will not stick to the plastic.

A lot of sanding would probably be the key!

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
The problem I've had with the rattle can bed liner is it turns a dark brown instead of Black. When I got my jeep three years ago it had 3000 miles on it and was never in the snow or mud, It was like new, I used like 10 cans under it covering the frame and entire under body and it has held up great. I will probably check it this summer and hit some areas that might have chips.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I rattle canned everything that was silver. Naturally some of the paint wore off out on the trails, so I picked up another can and touched those areas up. Its quick, easy and cheap. I did it cause I hate the silver, plus I plan on replacing the rear bumper along with the front bumper real soon.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I would use the roll on kind rather than spray. Herculiner is really good.

I was thinking of using Herculiner on a set of rock sliders and Herculiner seems to be the best of the DIY "liners".
I know it has to have been done, how is it working out? What type of prep is best for bare metal sliders?

·
can i become 1/2mil90 for a little while
2,555 Posts
The thing is that the bling plate is metal right?? I am scared that the bedliner will not stick to the plastic.

A lot of sanding would probably be the key!
It is aluminum. I didnt' sand it or anything, matter of fact I didn't even clean it before I sprayed it. My brother sprayed his bezel and I haven't noticed anything wrong with it either. Is it the most fantastic stuff in the world, probably not. Am I 100% satisified, DEFINITELY!
:cheers:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did my bezel, front wings, back wings, and my rock sliders all in Dupli-color spray on bedliner (black); and am very pleased with the adhesion to the plastic as well as the steel rails. I wheel often and haven't had a problem thus far.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I used Plasti-Kote black color 616 which is a specific plastic bumper acrylic resin...literally matches the stock black parts perfectly and has not dulled or scratched over the past year of pretty hard use.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
to be more clear, I am scared of the interior plastic (cargo area). To the touch it feels very slippery and that is what scares me.

I know that it will adhere to the exterior plastic because everything is painted and when you sand it, it creates a good surface for the bedliner to adhere to.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
do a search. I've seen at least one other guy on here who has used spray on bedliner on his interior. The results looked fantastic, though I'm unaware of durability issues.

I know duplicolor has some adhesion promoter you can use when doing rattle can work. You might take a look at that.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
I used Duplicolor on my 4Runner and Rustoleum on my FJ. I did go to the trouble of sanding thoroughly and, if metal, removing rust. Best stuff since jungle boots.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
do a search. I've seen at least one other guy on here who has used spray on bedliner on his interior. The results looked fantastic, though I'm unaware of durability issues.

I know duplicolor has some adhesion promoter you can use when doing rattle can work. You might take a look at that.
I've used it on my interior (rocker switch panel) and it looks okay. It does have a rough surface, so it will show dirt easily compared to the original plastic if you rub something on it. It wipes off just as easily.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts