Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone. I will try to make this short, but doubtful.
In the beginning…
I should have bought the FJ when it was brand new. However, being that I am beyond frugal, I decided to wait a few years and let someone else take the depreciation. Well… the joke was on me. They did not lose value, not enough for me to justify buying a new car when I didn’t need one. My motto is, “If I can’t afford to wreck it, I don’t need to own it”.

Fast Forward, Tuesday October 17th, 2017.
My husband talks me into buying a new car, (he’d been trying since the FJ debuted). He said that he wanted me to enjoy my car as much as he enjoyed his 76 C-10 stepside. So we go out that day and look at only one (that’s all we had time for). I decided that the damn thing still cost too much money (2007/$23,000 w/67,500 miles and a few mods). Besides, my Durango was just fine. He was way disappointed for me, or maybe with me.

Wednesday October 18th 4:00 pm
I just got off work. I get six blocks away (it’s 4:12 now) and it’s raining so hard that I slow down under the speed limit to be safe. And then *BOOM*!!!! And all I remember is screaming at the top of my voice, “WTF just happened”? An idiot in a 93 Ford Expedition had failed to yield and turned in front of me causing me to T-bone the sh*t out of him. I didn’t even have time to hit the brakes or the horn.
He bounced off me and crashed into a 2017 Toyota corolla with a grandmother and 4 lil kids in it. Then he drove a block away before he stopped. Don’t think he planned on stopping but too many witness. The accident occurred about 15 yards further away from the stop sign. Two fire trucks, 3 police cars, 2 ambulances and a motorcycle cop were there in about 4 minutes. (Thankfully, the fire and police station are near my job). Every air bag in his car went off, my Durango was a total loss and the front of the Corolla was gone. I do remember asking him if he had insurance and he answered that he was fine and he wasn’t hurt. (Not my best moment) I, in turn replied “I don’t give a F* if you’re okay, do you have insurance? He has NO insurance LOL, WTF*!

So I call my husband to come get me and the first thing he says after he sees my car is “What did you do?” followed by “You better call the FJ guy back”. I think I was still in shock when I made the text to tell him that I was coming by the next day to purchase his FJ.

Thursday October 19th, 2017
I call the FJ guy and get the VIN number, I call my insurance guy and get insurance. I go to 2 Credit Unions and empty the secret accounts (trust me, your wife has them too), I go get the FJ, Its now raining just as hard as yesterday and about the same dang time so the PTSD is setting in hard… I take a deep breath; after all, I’m insured.
Then I drive to the doctor to get checked out.

Oh and I ended up paying $21,700.00
Wish I could have enjoyed the purchase process a bit more.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
40,122 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Welcome from Vancouver, Canada!

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,607 Posts
Greetings from VT! Wow that's got to be one of the most dramatic intro stories ever - glad you're ok and landed safely in an FJ which will protect you like a tank :angel

·
Admin
9,053 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,323 Posts
This definitely wins the most exciting purchase story yet.

Also, welcome, and most importantly of all, glad that you are OK after that accident (you expressed to him what would have been my thoughts exactly!).

N

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,957 Posts
hello!

·
Premium Member
17,031 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Welcome from The Hawkeye State!

I too recently bought an FJ because of a total loss, and that total loss was my first FJ (2007 Black Diamond). I'm now driving a 2012 TTSE and don't regret it one bit.

I'm glad everyone was okay.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Welcome to the board and glad you apparently OK? Know others noticed; but were too polite or nervous to say anything about your
"secret stash" accounts since used to fund FJ? A number of my customers (am in gun business FFL) have those "stash rat holes"; but most of mine are in form of traveler's checks stored in one location and purchase record with numbers of checks in another, so can't be lost, stolen; or destroyed, Since I'm not married, no need to do such things and girlfriends are never privy to my financial affairs...nor me theirs.....in interest of fairness.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Great intro ... except my wife doesn't have a secret account! I'm almost sure of it lol.

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
What a story!!! welcome

1 - 20 of 26 Posts