Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

How You can help Disabled Explorers

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  FJ Bruiser 
#1 · (Edited)
As some of you might remember I have started a resource for vehicle enhanced access to the backcountry by the disabled. So far we have talked with a number of handicapped folks and hosted out first Ride-A-Long event.

However this summer we will have a 24 day adventure from Canada to Mexico on dirt along the Continental Divide. Nicely enough we will be stopping for 5 days at the FJ Summit and be able to meet many of you. Our hopes are that this trip will bring public and media attention to the need for motorized access to the backcountry by the disabled and allow us to reach out to those folks interested in it for themselves.

Well after some great conversations this weekend and
today with people far smarter than me, I have choosen to set aside any more Sponsorship efforts until after the Continental Divide Expedition. The trip is too close and I don't want to get in a position of marketing for a product that might not be the best for the disabled community.

I have some deals in the works that are with high quality companies and we would support their products no matter what.....but to complete our trip from Canada to Mexico on dirt I will either pay for it myself or reach out to the off road community for support.

Here are some of the things we are looking for used either free or cheap:
Hannibal Awning
2 Hand Held or mobile Ham radios (2m or dual band)
Benchmark series Map books of New Mexico, Colorado, Wy, Montana, Idaho, Utah
10# propane tank or other tall thin/small propane tank
Propane latern
Propane Distribution tree
Brochure Printing
Biz Card Printing
Snatch Blocks (2-3)
Master Pull kenetic strap

Things we will need after the trip for ongoing operations:
CB radios & mag mount antennas (to make loaner & gift radios)
Handheld or mobile ham radios and antennas/mounts
Gloves
Tree saver straps (old is fine)
Snatch straps (static or kenitic)

I am working hard on our non-profit status but I am not sure if it will be done in time for our trip so please realize these won't be tax deductible donations...the same with any money you might want to send to cover fuel, food cost, campsite fees, vehicle service & such....I just set up a "Buy A Mile" page on the Disabled Explorers website for that.
thanks in advance for any help..
enjoy,
Lance Blair
Disabled Explorers
2303 N 44th St Suite 14-1160
Phoenix, Az 85008
602-451-6079
donate@disabledexplorers.com

See less See more
#2 ·
At first I thought you were speaking of a stuck/broken
down Ford. :rocket:
You are doing an awesome thing my friend!

#3 ·
That is beyone funny....I would work it into the logo but Ford might come after me :)

Thanks for the laugh and the encouragement....if you ever see someone with a physical limitation on the trail tell them about us so we can feature their story to inspire others....
If you ever meet someone who wants to know more about vehicle enhanced access to the backcountry by the disabled please tell them about us as we are here to help anyone we can...
And lastly I hope we get a chance to run a trail together sometime

enjoy
Lance

#4 ·
Your logo leaves 'very little' room for improvement. Very-very well done! The position of the wheelchair speaks volumes on what your orginazation stands for. I will keep my eyes and ears open for ways to spread the word.

Happy trails

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
there are 2 amputees...me in my FJC and a gentleman in his tacoma...
then we have "support" from mike - tibaal89 & his FJC and a gentleman in a land rover discovery...
wanna come along for any or all of the adventure???
check Disabled Explorers - Home for the day by day route plan.

#8 ·
Have you thought of contacting ASA4WDC (as well as other state 4wd clubs in the states through which you will be traveling), local 4wd shops, Blue Ribbon Coalition or United 4Wheel Drive Assoc?

The reason I ask is that one of the major legal pathways for legitimizing trail use is that physically challenged persons should have every right to access our public lands and trail systems and if they have to do that in a motorized vehicle b/c of their physical limitations, it keeps trails protected for everyone's use.

These groups may be very interested in supporting your expeditions for that very reason; both monetarily or in terms of providing the gear you need.

Just a thought.

Sean

#10 ·
Andy - sdlsatcom
Thank you very much for the offer, however B2B Cruiser already pm'd me about his printing operation locally here in phx....but thank you very much and I will let you know if there is something he can't do or for my next round of printing so I don't put a burden on any 1 person....thanks again..

Sean-
I have made contact with some of those groups and I will be contacting the rest since my trip north will be stopping in Vegas, SLC and elsewhere for meet & greets...and on the trip south it would be great to have anyone that wants to join in for parts of the trip...folks can check Disabled Explorers - Home for the route/timing..
I agree that there is an important factor to consider by land managers when it comes to trail closure...access is everything
Thanks for the thoughts and I will work on it somemore...

Kurt-homedad
You rock sir and thanks...and I know I will be able to count on you for help with our drivers training and recovery training when that starts up...
thanks again

#11 ·
I just read about the fund raiser for Disable Explorers on the Sierra Expeditions website regarding the recovery of the expedition trailer stolen from Sierra Expeditions and ditched in Florida. Here is teh link for anyone want to read up and donate:

Disabled Explorers Buy A Mile!

They are also planning meet and greets on the way back from Florida to Cali.

I have also posted this info to a few other offroad forums that I am on... I plan to make it out to the meet and greet here in Phoenix depending on what day it falls on, plus donate buck or two..

#13 ·
I also thought this was about broken Fords. Great cause though. Do you have many disabled Vets in your organization?

#14 ·
Beyond funny on the Ford thing....

This is a new resource and yes we have 1 vet that is a 4wd owner and drove on our first Ride-Along event...
the thing is we don't have "members" we are about helping anyone with a physical mobility issue learn about vehicle enhanced access to the backcountry...
we start with Rida-Alongs to give a taste from the passenger seat...
then Driver Training Classes
Recovery Training Classes
and lastly Guided Trips...but all of it is with able bodied folks at the same time. We want to integrate not seperate....
that is why there is not a forum..unless you count the subforum on expeditionportal.com

We are new and growning, watch for stuff all over the country and if you know anyone who could use are help send them to disabledexplorers.com
if you know anyone already out there please let us know so we can inspire others with their story

thanks

#15 ·
I applaud your efforts on this endeavor! I know from first hand experience the need for more backcountry access for the disabled. Being that I experienced a spinal cord injury over 13 years ago which resulted in me now having to walk with forearm crutches, with public land that used to be designated as OHV areas being shut down all over the country I know just how tough it is to try to get around some of these places without a motorized vehicle.

Keep up the good work and if there is anything I can help with please let me know. As some of you know, I am the Founder of TTORA and have been envolved with OHV recreation for a majority of my time here on this planet!

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.