Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Those will work, the recommended hose clamp is the t-bolt style below. Avoid the worm gear type.

Thanks. Those clamps look like they'd work great for other applications as well. In fact, I wish I'd found those a couple of years ago for one of my older vehicles. I hate those old-style worm drive clamps and there were no spring clamps available.

·
Registered
832 Posts
They have worm type for silicone hoses. The band is longer so it fits under the serrated area. They are very common in the heavy truck industry. The turbo clamps work well too if you have the room.
Use distilled water in your coolant or buy premixed too.

·
Registered
332 Posts
They have worm type for silicone hoses. The band is longer so it fits under the serrated area. They are very common in the heavy truck industry. The turbo clamps work well too if you have the room.
Use distilled water in your coolant or buy premixed too.
Well, heavy trucks don't have plastic radiators and thermostat housings do they? I haven't worked on one, so I don't know. Correct me if I'm wrong. That's why a lot of manufacturers went to the constant pressure spring clamps, for those brittle plastic cooling system parts. They don't overly compress the hose against the plastic fittings and crack them.

In my researching, found these shrink clamps from Gates. They look nice and have a clean look. I wonder how well these work? I've never seen them before. They even claim they work on silicone hoses and out-of-round situations.

PowerGrip® SB Clamps | Gates Corporation

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I imagine they work as advertised..looks like large diameter HD shrink tubing cut it pieces.

Sent from a NiPhone, using auto-correct to eff things up with Tapatalk

·
Registered
832 Posts
Well, heavy trucks don't have plastic radiators and thermostat housings do they? I haven't worked on one, so I don't know. Correct me if I'm wrong. That's why a lot of manufacturers went to the constant pressure spring clamps, for those brittle plastic cooling system parts. They don't overly compress the hose against the plastic fittings and crack them.

In my researching, found these shrink clamps from Gates. They look nice and have a clean look. I wonder how well these work? I've never seen them before. They even claim they work on silicone hoses and out-of-round situations.

PowerGrip® SB Clamps | Gates Corporation
Yeah they have as much plastic as any car does. They have been using silicone hoses, anodes, and distilled water longer than the light duty side. Mainly for the long service life. Any clamp holds torque if installed right but regular old fashioned worm clamps tend to cut the hoses even at normal torque. They don't need a whole lot to hold them in place. You could very well over tighten any style of clamp. The torque retaining clamps are just so you don't have to touch them after the initial install. There is other torque retaining clamps too other than turbo clamps. Those work great but they are large clamps and you don't always have that kind of room. If I remember, at work I'll take a picture of them all side by side. Those shrink clamps work ok too, some OE applications use them.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yeah they have as much plastic as any car does. They have been using silicone hoses, anodes, and distilled water longer than the light duty side. Mainly for the long service life. Any clamp holds torque if installed right but regular old fashioned worm clamps tend to cut the hoses even at normal torque. They don't need a whole lot to hold them in place. You could very well over tighten any style of clamp. The torque retaining clamps are just so you don't have to touch them after the initial install. There is other torque retaining clamps too other than turbo clamps. Those work great but they are large clamps and you don't always have that kind of room. If I remember, at work I'll take a picture of them all side by side. Those shrink clamps work ok too, some OE applications use them.
Thanks for the info. I guess truck manufacturers also followed the industry trend of making plastic everything to reduce weight, to reduce corrosion and to increase manufacturing efficiency. Oh well. That picture of all those clamps side by side would be nice, if you happen to get to it.

They sound good but $128 for two radiator hoses seems high though. :) JMO
Yeah, the OEM hoses are both under $15 each, but hey, the silicone ones last far longer, take heat better and they make your engine bay look really sexy with those 3 nice colors to choose from.

·
Registered
832 Posts
There goes the different style of clamps. L to R the regular old worm clamp, silicone worm (see the tang under the grooves), torque retaining with tang (my choice), t-bolt style (turbo clamps will give you the most clamp but too much can be bad in this application).
The reason why you need the correct clamp is to keep the from cutting the hose. All will work except the left outer one, it will tear up a silicone hose.

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. It looks like the lowly worm-drive clamp has come a long way. I also hate that old style worm clamp like the one you've shown on the left in your pictures. I've found that it even cuts up regular rubber hoses as well and it also has a pressure point right under the clamp mechanism that tended to leak when being used on smaller hoses, like heater hoses. Even the one second from the left is a slight improvement over the original, but not by much. The other 2 on the right look like they'd work great.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Its HOT outside! Ensure that you make it to the end of the trail, we have all colors of HPS radiator hoses in stock!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thank you all for your continued orders and support! This brand is discounted during our Summer 2016 Sale - browse our site Total Automotive Performance and be sure to use the SUM16 promocode to save even more over FJC Forum Discounts for a limited time.

If we can be of any help please reach out to us at [email protected] or 702.979.1577

21 - 31 of 31 Posts