Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, Figured I'd start a thread specific to the HPTuners and the FJC. HPTuners has started supporting the Tacoma 4.0L platform and I'm told should have some of the Calibrations ready for the FJC within the next couple weeks. This is great news for those that like to be self sufficient or for those that want a custom tune by a custom shop. What can be done with this tuner:

-Compensate for larger fuel injectors
-adjust fuel, timing, valve control, and many many many other engine maps.
-adjust speedometer settings like gear changes, and tire sizes.
-control CEL's like if you removed your front cats.
- Full control of your transmission's electronic settings
- Control of the electronic throttle control, this is a big one.
- So many other features its impossible to list.

For me, I'm looking to possibly replace my piggy back UCON with this system to gain control over a number of these variables. There's a number of guys that have the same general engine configuration that I do and are all reporting back fantastic seat of the pants improvements. Dynos to come. If enough of us work together on standardizing a couple of good baseline tunes (N/A and TRD S/C) then we would all have a great starting point for tinkering. Obviously these could be optimized by dyno time with a competent tuning shop, but having a baseline will save $ and you will see better drive-ability and power.

https://www.hptuners.com/

Best part is that the tuner is around $300 and the required 4 credits amount to about $200....That's if you want to do your own. If someone already has a tuner and you can get a baseline tune from someone or the forum, then you can do this for just the credit amounts of around $200........pretty damn good deal if you ask me.....Let the fun begin!

·
Registered
40 Posts
This AWESOME news!

I actually own a DynoJet, and lease to a friend. That friend has tuned thousands of cars & trucks. I'm not exaggerating, he had to get a 2nd HPTuner unit because he filled the first one with all the credits it could hold.

I'll have my FJ on the dyno as soon as we can get this!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's awesome! The HPtuner support for the FJ is some of the most exciting news for performance enhancements. What part of the country is your dyno in?

-D

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's awesome! The HPtuner support for the FJ is some of the most exciting news for performance enhancements. What part of the country is your dyno in?

-D
SE of Houston, TX. Close to Kemah, for those in the area.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SE of Houston, TX. Close to Kemah, for those in the area.
I'm on the west coast, but there are a couple of the Tacoma guys that are spear heading this effort in your neck of the woods. They will be a great resource once they get a couple of canned tunes ready....A connection in the dyno world would be a great find!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
********SPECIFIC TO THE FJ CRUISER*****

Got an email from @HPTuners this am! "added support for 3YWK0400 in the latest VCM Suite 4.3.575 or later"

They added support for the TRD Calibration on 2007/2008/2009 factory flashed supercharger id's.....this was available in August 2008 as an update to the original TRD Calibration and fit kit.

However, if you're like me and added the supercharger right when it came out in 2007 and early 2008, then you may find yourself with calibration id 3YWK0200, which they don't have support for yet. My HPtuner is in route, so I'll see what id I'm working with for the supercharger installed and flashed in March of '07

·
Registered
47 Posts
Subscribed. I am preparing to install a TRD supercharger on my 07, and am very interested in an alternate tuning solution to the reflash. I’d like the ability to tweet and tailor a tune to my truck and mods.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Subscribed. I am preparing to install a TRD supercharger on my 07, and am very interested in an alternate tuning solution to the reflash. I’d like the ability to tweet and tailor a tune to my truck and mods.
Most of the current HP tunes for the supercharger application are still based on the TRD calibration. More than likely the BEST thing you could do is to beg your local service advisor to have a tech flash the TRD calibration for you and then start from there. The TRD calibration actually expands many of the tuning tables in the ECU. The dealerships still have access to these calibrations, although it is not uncommon to see resistance from them on loading it. Something about accepting responsibility if it doesn't work out....which I'm not sure how that would happen.

Whatever you do, don't install the bullydog tune. It seems to make it impossible to revert back to any other tune. It's TRD or nothing currently. I'm not sure if you can load a TRD calibration file onto a non TRD flashed ecu with the HPtuner yet. That is definitely something to reach out to them on. It would be great if it worked that way.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks Doc for the advice. I don’t have the Bullydog unit, as my supercharger is one of the original TRD units. I have a Unichip currently installed, and was planning to just switch the maps to the supercharged ones when I install the blower. As insurance, I purchased and will be installing soon the URD fuel pump upgrade as insurance against possible lean conditions.

I’m kind of hoping the HP will release an FJ and more to the point a more expanded supercharger-related version soon, as this is the sort of tuner solution I want to run. I’ve been reading the HP forums (recently joined) and the Tacoma forums about the HP Tuner; the latter has 130-some pages on the subject already. I’ve also found an interesting video series from “Boosted Built Garage” in Australia where they tune and modify a Supercharged TRD Hilux, and they are using an Xede unit to tune, which is also piggyback unit too.

Lots to think about, but the HP unit seems to have the most capability and potential, and allows modification to the actual ECU and not piggyback onto it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Doc for the advice. I don’t have the Bullydog unit, as my supercharger is one of the original TRD units. I have a Unichip currently installed, and was planning to just switch the maps to the supercharged ones when I install the blower. As insurance, I purchased and will be installing soon the URD fuel pump upgrade as insurance against possible lean conditions.

I’m kind of hoping the HP will release an FJ and more to the point a more expanded supercharger-related version soon, as this is the sort of tuner solution I want to run. I’ve been reading the HP forums (recently joined) and the Tacoma forums about the HP Tuner; the latter has 130-some pages on the subject already. I’ve also found an interesting video series from “Boosted Built Garage” in Australia where they tune and modify a Supercharged TRD Hilux, and they are using an Xede unit to tune, which is also piggyback unit too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PFdYvf8leVE

Lots to think about, but the HP unit seems to have the most capability and potential, and allows modification to the actual ECU and not piggyback onto it.
I haven't heard of the Xede unit before. Those Aussies seem to have some neat parts for the 1grfe platform that we don't always hear about as much.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I know Xede units from Evolution 8/9 tuning way back in the mid 2000s. From watching the guys work, the Xede had to be wired in, kind of rotten for a piggyback. My Unichip was plug-n-play at least. From everything I’ve read with the Unichip, you need a dyno tune to really see any gains, and Unichip tuners are few and far between in the states. The “canned” tunes are very basic, but you can buy the software to tune it yourself. This is why the HP Tune looks so interesting- lots of parameters and no piggyback.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Any updates on getting these out for the FJ? The Tacoma thread has somewhat stagnated, but seems like they've made a ton of progress.

·
Registered
174 Posts
So... nothing happened in the end? I don't see the FJ listed under supported vehicles on their site.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Flop, I emailed them a few days ago. They said they didn't know anything about it coming to the FJ.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ah, that sucks. I'm studying ECU calibration intensively, could be nice to have two FJs as test subjects. :LOL:

·
Registered
743 Posts
Ah, that sucks. I'm studying ECU calibration intensively, could be nice to have two FJs as test subjects. :LOL:
Very much a bummer. In the states were hurting for a tuning solution for these trucks. The UCON is a bit too obscure for my tastes, same for the Unichip. Beyond that you're going deep trying to adapt a Haltec, or something else.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Tacoma guys are neck-deep into the HP Tuner software. The FJ and a Tacoma are so close, I don’t see any real issue with HPTuner not being a viable option.

·
Registered
743 Posts
The Tacoma guys are neck-deep into the HP Tuner software. The FJ and a Tacoma are so close, I don’t see any real issue with HPTuner not being a viable option.
Totally agree, there probably isn't enough interest from them to pull the trigger at the moment.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts