Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a set of Dick Cepek DC-1s on my fj which are lug centric wheels. The stock wheels are hub centric which I have always been told is the stronger and preferred setup. Has anyone had issues with lug centic wheels while offroading?

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
I am installing a set of Dick Cepek DC-1s on my fj which are lug centric wheels. The stock wheels are hub centric which I have always been told is the stronger and preferred setup. Has anyone had issues with lug centic wheels while offroading?
No, I haven't, and you wont IF you use the proper lug nuts, torque them properly, and check them regularly. Very few, if any, hub-centric wheels are made that have a 105mm center bore (the middle hole in the wheel), so I'm not sure what choice you'd actually have, anyway...

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
X2 hadn't have any problems with the lug or the hub centric wheels. You just have to make sure everything is installed properly.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
No, I haven't, and you wont IF you use the proper lug nuts, torque them properly, and check them regularly. Very few, if any, hub-centric wheels are made that have a 105mm center bore (the middle hole in the wheel), so I'm not sure what choice you'd actually have, anyway...
I agree with the comments made by CruiserLarry. Lug centric wheels have been around for decades. Its very important to torque lug nuts while the wheel is off the ground to properly center the wheel. Some wheels require a centering ring making the wheel “hub centric”. This is an acceptable alternative. From an engineering standpoint hub centric is better. When the center bore of the wheel is matched to the hub, vibration is minimized.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
for what it is worth,

I had a set of Mickey Thomson (Alcoa) wheels that were lug centrically balanced, and never had a problem.

I had a set of American Racing wheels, again lug-centrically balanced several times, and nothing but vibrations.

I had a set of Pro Comp alloys, lug centrically balanced. no problems.

All of the above with AT tires on my old tacoma.

I guess my point is, more factors at play than just lub vs. hub centric. If you go lug-centric, make sure it is balanced correctly, and as others have said, you use lug nuts with a proper seat.

I think the Pro Comp and Alcoa wheels I had were precise enough it would have been fine if they had been balanced hub centrically, but the AR wheels were another story. You could visibly see the hub circle and the lug circle were not completely concentric, as evidenced by measuring the thickness of metal between the lug hole and the hub hole around the bolt circle.

I have no experience with the Dick Cepek wheels, let us know how they work out. I have been considering them for my FJ as well.

Thanks,
Shawn

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you to everyone for the input. I had the wheels installed today and so far I notice a good amount of vibration/wobble in the steering at 45 mph up. I am running pro comp extreme mud terrain tires which also are the first set of m/t tires I have owned. I assume the wobble in the steering is more related to the balancing/mounting and not the type of tire, but as mentioned I have no experience with this type of tire. I ordered everything online so I have no idea if the tires were lug centrically balanced or not. Is re-balancing my next move? On a more postive note I think dc-1s look really good on an fj. Picture is not great but take a look.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts