Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. After getting my brakes done front and back just before summer (new pads,front calipers, lathed rotors) my FJ had a low humming noise when coming to a stop. It kind of sounded like the jetsons car.... I brought it back to the dealer and they said they had rotated the tires and it was tire noise. Man was I ticked. I gave them the benefit of the doubt, and gave it a week of driving it just got worse. I took it back, and they said my tires were extremely 'feathered' and that was the source of the noise. I told them to put slicks on it if they were so sure.....at which point they said I was insulting the mechanic. Again I sucked it up and said hey....just maybe I'm the idiot, and left......the noise has only gotten worse. I took it in again, and they wanted to charge me $60 to diagnose it.....then relented when I said it only made the noise after the brake job. Diagnosis .....and I have to quote exactly because I can't believe it.
"The mechanic still thinks the tires are your problem (even though I hear this noise in snow, mud, gravel, pavement) but he does hear a noise coming from the rear end. It's nothing to worry about though....it will just get worse and worse til it needs to be replaced and will cost about $2000"

What is a guy supposed to do??? And still the roaring rear end

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
You have 2 choices, as I see it.

1) Call toyota's customer experience line: Toyota Help Tell them your problem with the dealership, request service somewhere else.... and get a reference number.
2) Take it to another dealership, tell them this story, and give them your reference number.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
x3 Oh & Welcome!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I don't think it's a wheel bearing, becuse the noise is the same no matter which side I load ( swerving left and right ) I was thinking a carrier bearing maybe....but am stumped as to why it only reared its head after the brake job. I'm taking it to my folks reliable shadetree mechanic for an honest opinion. Merry Christmas, and I'll keep you posted

·
Registered
574 Posts
If you do not have luck with another dealer then take it to a shop that specializes in differentials. They can check the wear pattern on the gears in the rear end to see if it is out of wack. It does not take long to do so the charges would be minimal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
think I have the same problem as you. I started hearing it last night, but it's wierd, sounds like inside the rear. After driving 3-5 min. it goes away. However, turn the car off, turn it on again, noise comes back.

Going to my dealership soon.

·
Registered
535 Posts
If you do not have luck with another dealer then take it to a shop that specializes in differentials. They can check the wear pattern on the gears in the rear end to see if it is out of wack. It does not take long to do so the charges would be minimal.

I have heard of problems like this when new gears are installed and not aligned correctly. You don't suspect they did anything else to your rear end do you?

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Lift the FJ or at least the rear end (Auto only) and try to duplicate the sound. If you can it's not the tires.
Or leave Grandma home when she has the walking farts.
Hello and welcome!
Since the dealership does not know me, I'll go with to insult the mechanic or more likely the service rep.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I had a noise similair to yours and took it my dealer here in Western Kentucky. They found a small clip that holds the parking brake shoes had come loose and was rubbing on something. They reinstalled the part correctly. Before I left the dealership I drove around the parking lot trying to make sure it was gone when suddenly it started again. They ordered new tabs and replaced later, the noise was silenced. The culprit is a small washer with a tab on each parking brake shoe that anchors it. IMHO this part is too small/weak to do the job intended. Tech told me he agreed and stated it would pay to be real careful not to accidently move the truck with the brake on. I asked him how this could be called an EMERGENCY brake. He corrected me and told it is now officially a PARKING brake only.

Alan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts