Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, so I'm a total noob. I've never owned a 4x4 before, never been wheeling, nothing. Total offroad virgin here. So I have no frame of reference for anything I'm talking about. That being said, let me add that this was the most fun I've ever had in a 4 wheeled vehicle!

This thing is a BEAST!!!

I heard that Hungry Valley has a 4wd practice area, so that's where Smurfy McWheels (my FJ) and I started.

(And before I get any helpful comments...yes, I know the running boards have got to go.)

They call this the "Frame Twister" course. It may as well have been a mall parking lot as far as the FJ is concerned:

Tilting:

Smurfy surveys the scene from the top of the practice hill:

Flex!

Steeper than it looks:

Just a few more gorgeous ones.

More pics here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72057594129417086/

·
Registered
463 Posts
You da SMURF man!!! Love the pictures... Can't wait to do a photo shoot of my own!!

Glad you finally have your FJ!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
HUNGRY VALLEY is an awsome, well-maintained, really well setup off-road 19,000 sq ft area and you get in for only $5... It's only 50mn from Los Angeles too. It 'rocks' --forgive the pun, but it does. Plus, you can go wild or mild. I'll post my pics tomorrow. I go there all the time. Anyone who wants to go, just let me know.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Good job JLam. If you thought you were hooked before, now you know what it is like to be obsessed. I see a few trips for Smurfy this year. Back to the garage to build a Trail Box, eh. Congratulations.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Old FJ40'er said:
HUNGRY VALLEY is an awsome, well-maintained, really well setup off-road 19,000 sq ft area and you get in for only $5... It's only 50mn from Los Angeles too. It 'rocks' --forgive the pun, but it does. Plus, you can go wild or mild. I'll post my pics tomorrow. I go there all the time. Anyone who wants to go, just let me know.
I'm game to go. Maybe we can set a date (even a weekday) and a few of us can head on up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I live in Valencia and was just up in Hungry Valley myself. The 4x4 area is a great place to learn the capabilities of your vehicle. I wanted to go up to the top of the mountain but they have it gated. Used to go to Hungry Valley years ago, before the State got involved. The place was wide open and open all year, even in heavy snow. Now they close it so we don't get hurt! We ought to get some more FJ'ers to meet up there at the 4x4 area and give it a workout. I tried everything but that boulder hill climb. My FJ is too new for me to take any chances on body damage, yet.

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
desertcruiser said:
I live in Valencia and was just up in Hungry Valley myself. The 4x4 area is a great place to learn the capabilities of your vehicle. I wanted to go up to the top of the mountain but they have it gated. Used to go to Hungry Valley years ago, before the State got involved. The place was wide open and open all year, even in heavy snow. Now they close it so we don't get hurt! We ought to get some more FJ'ers to meet up there at the 4x4 area and give it a workout. I tried everything but that boulder hill climb. My FJ is too new for me to take any chances on body damage, yet.
Yeah, I wasn't about to try that...not without someone to spot for me. Everything else was fun though.

·
Registered
155 Posts
JLam said:
Yeah, I wasn't about to try that...not without someone to spot for me. Everything else was fun though.
I live in Thousand Oaks and I would love to go...Im new at this 4Wheelin stuff too. Mojave is great too. No regulations either. BLM land and they have sand, trails hills etc. Really mean stuff.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
my wife and i are planning a short weekend fun getaway without the kids sometime soon. planning on driving down and going to magic mountain, camping somewhere and then the next morning hungry valley. probably be in july sometime. hopefully round some of you socal folk up for some fun!!

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
caliFJ said:
my wife and i are planning a short weekend fun getaway without the kids sometime soon. planning on driving down and going to magic mountain, camping somewhere and then the next morning hungry valley. probably be in july sometime. hopefully round some of you socal folk up for some fun!!
I'm up for it, only if you bring Triumph with you. :eek::D

·
Registered
180 Posts
Re: Hungry Valley in July

caliFJ said:
Always up for a good time in the dust here!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Re: Hungry Valley in July

caliFJ said:
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww dust??? forget it!!! i dont want to scratch my fjc!!!

:D
You're funny. But don't worry. Gorman (Hungry Valley) can be mild to wild. I do it till the danger of a rogue branch nears my Voodoo Bloo. Black is a bit more suceptible to dust though. But the paint is top quality and the shine comes back easily!

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts