Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
I came home to the Jersey Shore for a week from workin in Joplin Mo just in time for an flooding, earthquake, and a hurricane !.... Maybe I need to look into a genny'.... ;)

I'm 500 feet from a river/bay area on a Peninsula, and less than 5 miles from the atlantic ocean....

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
Bandi, I hope it's not too bad for you but on the other hand maybe you'll be working around home for a while. Seriously, fingers crossed that it misses the coast.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Thanks Woody'.... I think I need to get crackin' on attaching my house to the foundation, since my 50's kit house is just floating right now...

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
The news stations did a poll on what people were buy in preparation...,

Number one and two list below.... Ohhh Lordy !

1 beer
2 poptarts

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Our Gov' Christie is calling for all jersey shore residents to pull out of the shore communities by tomorrow night.... I'm picking up my beer and poptarts as I type this, I need to be prepared...

:eek:

I actually have a good setup and will see what happens, I am high enough not to worry about flooding, and have access to a genny and fuel...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah looks like we're going to get the high winds from the storm around here fingers crossed. Looks like I made the right decision holding off putting new roof on the house for awhile. Feel bad for next door neighbor though he just had a crew start on his yesterday.Rained today so that set them back a day hope they get it done in time.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
I know I will get slammed for this... but. This is very real for some of us and not a joke. I hope everyone stays safe along the coast.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
^^^ Yepper... I have a sister, nephews, nieces, in Va Beach and Chesapeake... Keep Safe !

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Im all set.

Food Supply..check.
4x4 Ready....check
Genny...Check
Plenty of ammo if things get real bad, haha...check

All set, its supposed to hit us Saturday night.

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Box of MREs Check
Alcohol Check
Ammo Check
Fuel Check
Clean underwear/clothes Check
Recovery gear in FJ Check
Journey Concert Sunday night in Virginia....uhhhhh..oh well..maybe not a Check..!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ya'll in NC and VA batten down the hatches!! My father in law in the outer banks says he's riding it out!!! 80-90 mph winds expected..he's been through 120 mph winds there though and says he can handle it....take care and be careful.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Emergency food
Water
Guns & Ammo
Night Vision - had to use it during the last big one :)
Generator
Gas
Lots of flashlights and batteries
Solar chargers for phones
Solar radio and flashlight combo

One thing overlooked by many is a garage door brace that helps to keep the garage door from caving in which is really important if you have a attached garage. Manufactured braces cost several hundred dollars so I made mine a few years ago on a Saturday with supplies from Home Depot.

I basically copied what they made in the link below and mine bolts down into the concrete as well.

http://hurricanedepot.com/garagedoorbrace.htm

·
Registered
27 Posts
Amazon Prime Membership. It's $79 a year, and you get free two day shipping on pretty much everything on Amazon.

Genorator Check
Battery Back Up System Check
Water Purifier Check
Extra clothes Check
Food Check

Pretty much everything you need...Local Walmart sold out? As long as you have a few days...you can have everything you need delivered to you. (granted...if the storm has already hit...you're kinda SOL if the roads are impassable)

It more than pays for itself if you sign up when you are buying all the stuff you wish you had on hand months ago.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts