Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is interested, I did a small write-up on the Hutchinson Rock Monster wheels. The Rock Monster is a heavy duty, dual beadlock (internal) design that is low maintenance, DOT approved and has proven to be one of the best mods on my FJ yet. Check out the complete review below.

Meet the Rock Monster: FJ Cruiser Gets Beadlocked

Cheers,

Jeff

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Your review is great! I read it a few months back when I was considering them..very infromative. If they didn't weigh so much I'd go that route. The alternative I'm looking at doing is Stauns with some MR wheels which will only be 27lbs vs the 55 or so that rockmonsters are.

Still nice wheels and a great review.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Echoing Newb's sentiments, thanks for the review.

I will tell you that if I was going to beadlock, I would also want valve stem protection. I have rim stiffners and I have knocked the tire off the rim before; however, I can always re-bead the tire...but if you bust the stem, it is $150+ to replace your pressure sensors (which you will have to if you bust the valve stem).

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your review is great! I read it a few months back when I was considering them..very infromative. If they didn't weigh so much I'd go that route. The alternative I'm looking at doing is Stauns with some MR wheels which will only be 27lbs vs the 55 or so that rockmonsters are. Still nice wheels and a great review.
Thanks. Staun is another great solution for a dual beadlock. I just didn't want to hassle with two valve stems or drilling my wheels. A 27lb wheel would definitely be nice though. :)

Echoing Newb's sentiments, thanks for the review. I will tell you that if I was going to beadlock, I would also want valve stem protection. I have rim stiffners and I have knocked the tire off the rim before; however, I can always re-bead the tire...but if you bust the stem, it is $150+ to replace your pressure sensors (which you will have to if you bust the valve stem).
Mine is a 2007 so no sensors for me, but it's a good point nonetheless. The RM design does offer some protection for the valve stem because it sits between two bolts but after taking a closer look I'm wondering if I shouldn't fabricate some sort of a guard for a bit more protection.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts