Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Have not decided

Votes: 13 21.3%

• Total voters
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
I read your opinions and went against the majority. I ordered a Mile Marker Hydraulic. The military uses them. To really do an electric winch, one should have dual alternators and batteries. The hydraulics work off your power steering. They have a 5 yr warranty. I would be curious of those touting electrics, how many have first hand negative experience with hydraulics.

·
Registered
189 Posts
A big advantage to an electric winch is that it will still work if the engine quits. The battery won't last long without the alternator kicking it, but it might be enough to pull you out of a bad situation. If you're about to flip over and sitting at a steep incline, you might not want to be running your engine very long and starving it of oil, or you might be buried in mud or water and don't want to pack any more crap into the pulleys/fan/intake than you have to. Plus, you can always put another battery in really quick if yours dies, you can't just swap your hydraulic lines to another rig if your engine quits.

The hydraulic winch might appear cheaper, but you'll need a 34-Series Adapter kit to make it work with the stock power steering. That kit costs 258.99 for a 79-02 Toyota, and they might not even make one that works with the FJ's power steering pump. You could always rig up a second power steering pump to power just the winch, but you'll spend the same couple hundred in buying the pump, lines, and brackets to make it work.

Also, you have to keep in mind that most of the bumpers the FJ had an electric winch in mind when they designed them. The hydraulic part of the winch looks smaller than an electric motor, but the other side might have clearance issues in whatever bumper you choose.

Aside from the Electric vs. Hydraulic debate, I personally think Warn makes a hell of a product and it's worth the extra money if you really need it. I have a Superwinch myself, since I rarely use the winch and most of the time I get by with a buddy and a tow strap. It all depends on how much you need it to be there for you. If I was wheeling alone, I would go Warn all the way, but I will never wheel alone so I have a backup if my winch craps out.

I have no idea what MOSFET really means or why it would be better, but the old contactor style solenoids have saved many an ass over the years and can't be all that bad. I'm thinking about carrying a spare contactor in my oh-sh!t bag. It's easy to change one out, I just wonder what a PITA it would be if the MOSFET power supply blew up on you. I like simple, reliable technology so I'm using a normal old fashioned electric winch on mine. Nothing fancy, much uglier than a Warn, but it'll work when I need it.
If you get the Mile Marker 7550085C you don't need the 34 adapter.

·
Registered
493 Posts
A MOSFET system uses transistors instead of mechanical relays. Relays tend to weld contacts at hig amperage DC applications (think arc welder) They do generate quite a bit of heat, but properly designed, a MOSFET switching system is capable of many more switching cycles without welding a contact in the on position which can be a bad situation if you cannot stop your winch. MOSFETs will typically fail in the open mode.

·
Registered
338 Posts
i'll go with electric

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
I read your opinions and went against the majority. I ordered a Mile Marker Hydraulic. The military uses them. To really do an electric winch, one should have dual alternators and batteries. The hydraulics work off your power steering. They have a 5 yr warranty. I would be curious of those touting electrics, how many have first hand negative experience with hydraulics.
Curious as to why you would need 2 alternators? I have yet to see anyone with an electric winch that's done anything more than dual batteries and they've never had problems. Some friends didn't even do the dual batteries and have been ok.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Curious as to why you would need 2 alternators? I have yet to see anyone with an electric winch that's done anything more than dual batteries and they've never had problems. Some friends didn't even do the dual batteries and have been ok.
The only simple answer I can give is that the manufacturers recommend it. If you discharged a battery at, let say, 450 amp rate, how long would if run? Use whatever # your winch draws.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
This is interesting...... Want to get more peoples opinions because I saw a hydraulic winch in action this weekend... pretty slick!!!!

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I base my love of electric winches on its 2 biggest pros

1 works with engine off
2 does not leak hydraulic fluid everywhere

I have never, and I mean never seen a hydraulic winch that got used, not develop a leak, weather it was on a tow truck or a 4x4, sooner or later they leak and you are either getting extremely messy or paying someone to.
just bumping this forward, it is something to think about

·
Registered
272 Posts
The only simple answer I can give is that the manufacturers recommend it. If you discharged a battery at, let say, 450 amp rate, how long would if run? Use whatever # your winch draws.
FXSTSB, did you ever buy your hydraulic winch? I'm anxious to get your impressions on it. I've only seen one in person, and it was on a carbureted CJ7 that stalled out all the time, rendering it completely useless. If you've got good results on your fuel injected rig, I'd like to hear about them. How much did you pay? How hard was the installation? Have you had to use it yet?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I once had a '67 Kaiser Jeep with a power take-off winch

It had a Buick V6 225.

Like all Jeeps, it was a POS, but I thought the winch was cool...

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'd buy a hydraulic except... FJ Cruiser power steering pump doesnt put out enough PSI to operate the winch at full potential. FSM is like 1200psi roughly maybe +/- 50psi. The Mile Marker Hydro winch requires higher PSI to operate at max power....

2ndly If my engine is disabled due to reasons unknown... (i.e. watercrossing... stalling in water or mud...) How would I operate my hydraulic winch?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts