Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is hydro-lock less likely to occur in an SUV like the FJ? If so, why? I am concerned about this because I live in an area that gets very heavy rainfall and hurricanes. This is one of the reasons I plan to buy the FJ.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just got to be safe is all, I don't think its any more safe.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
It all depends on the intake location. The higher the vehicle the less chance for it to pick up water
I agree... the FJ's intake was not placed at the best location...so you have to be careful...

I see you live In NPR (Pasco) lots of places are low wetland areas that flood out in heavy rain there. I have a few places that I wheel and that's why I did the scuba mod and have a snorkal...

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I disagree, Howard. I believe Toyota's placement of the intake was very clever. If the water crossing is done correctly you can safely ford water that is over the bumper, even a bit deeper.

By correctly I mean that you DO NOT bumrush the hazard, but rather enter at a speed that creates a bow wave in front of the hood and you follow that wave at a steady pace without stopping. Creating a wave in front of the hood will result in a trough behind that wave that will dip far below the level of the intake before returning to it's regular level. The trick here is that you have a very steep learning curve to get the speed right. The method I speak of assumes you know what the driving surface is like under the water and are able to maintain your desired speed. Also, you cannot spend too much time at these depths since the interior will eventually start to flood.

Having said all this, I don't recommend you run out and find the deepest water hole around and see what happens:simmadown: Get with some experienced wheelers in your area during an organized trail ride and learn about the techniques and capabilities of your machine. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
12,942 Posts
If you are spending most of your time driving in waist deep water then you may have a chance to hydro lock the motor.

Street driving in heavy rain is not a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
The Fj is less likely to Hydrolock in deep water as to say a Rav4. As mentioned the higher your vehicles sets, the less likely you have to worry about it. If memory serves me Correctly, The Fj is rated to ford 27 inches of water safely. Unless your doing high speeds into 2 feet of water I dont see you having issues with the Fj any where normal in FLorida..I have Both the FJ and A rav... I live in northern Florida, My road runs through a old river bottom, I have safely(using the method mention by Apexbasher) ford some pretty deep water in both vehicles
The trick to any of it.. Knowing the depth of the water( Roughly) Knowing where your intake is located, and having alittle skill in fording water...
:cheers:

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Toyota states the FJC was designed for water fording up to 27.5" deep out of the box. if you want to go deeper consider an ARB snorkel. You should also consider the FJ Cruiser Scuba Mod which raises the rear differential breather since it sits lower than your air intake and can suck water in under the right circumstances.

As said earlier this does not mean rushing in and making a big splash but rather keeping steady momentum that maintains a bow wave ahead of the rig.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Toyota states the FJC was designed for water fording up to 27.5" deep out of the box. if you want to go deeper consider an ARB snorkel. You should also consider the FJ Cruiser Scuba Mod which raises the rear differential breather since it sits lower than your air intake and can suck water in under the right circumstances.

As said earlier this does not mean rushing in and making a big splash but rather keeping steady momentum that maintains a bow wave ahead of the rig.
Ahh! Not saying it's impossible, just improbable. The other "SUV" are not any better (in general).

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Good luck and don't worry about the hurricanes. We haven't had one in a long time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
do you plan on fording water, or are you worried about only rainfall as its coming down? As long as you dont submerge your filter, or introduce it to a heavy flow of water for a period of time, there isnt anything to worry about.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts