Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gas is getting a little high and considering the fj gets 15 in the city do you think it would be worth it to buy a prius, not just for gas mileage but for a second car. I do drive a alot im talking 25k a year so probably i would be splitting half and half with the prius. Any thoughts, and no im not trading in the fj just cause gas is getting higher and higher its going to take alot more than 3.50 a gallon to let this beast go.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Yeah, those mods really affect the MPG in anegative way. If you can get away with it, i'd say go cheap motorcycle, scooter, or bicycle. Buying a prius would take a long time to gain it's worth in the amount you saved on gas seeing as how you already have an FJ.

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
I would say if you can afford a second car, get it. We have all ways had a extra car, just because you never know what will happen and you need it.

We just got back from a weekend trip to Savannah/Brunswick, GA and gas prices were from $3.39 (home) to $3.65 a gallon for regular gas.

·
Banned
338 Posts
Gas station near my house racks the price of premium at 4.25 per gallon...in the future if possible I will convert the FJ to propane, I sure as hell ain't sellin it! Maybe just buy a motor bike...

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
You know, we b#$ch and complain, but I just flew back from Germany and they're paying 1.42 Euro a liter. Worked out to be about 8.50 a gallon. Granted that was for premium, but non the less, we have little room to gripe.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jeez over 4.00 a gallon in cali that would hurt a bit. Ya im probably going to buy a used car that gets over 30 mpg. I once had a 1990 saab 900 god i wish i could own that car right now. Prius is probably a stretch but somewhere along the lines of getting better than 15 in the city.

·
Banned
2,479 Posts
Alternatively, you could buy a beater Toyota Corolla, Nissan Sentra, smaller Honda, etc. - plenty of dependable cars that get 30+ mpg that if you looked around, you could probably pick up for less than $2000-$3000. One of my best automobile purchases money-wise was a Chevy Citation that I bought for $350. I drove the piss out of it for months and never had to do a thing to it. It eventually blew the motor and all I did was have it towed to the nearest salvage yard for free. Considering the lower insurance, relatively good mpg, and the fact that it only cost me around one decent month's car payment, I think I came out relatively ahead during the time.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My brother just recently bought a smaller used car for traveling to and from school. He drives a modded out 4runner and gets very minimal mpg. You also might consider this route since you could get a somewhat older car for less money, that would still get good mpg.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ya im thinking older car less than 4k but this would be good for gas and to get my fj out of the city considering its already got broken into once. So now i need to decide on which make will be the best. Don't just want to buy a cheap car and have it be a big problem.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Buy a beater Toyota Corolla or Honda Accord for 3-5k. They both get 30+ MPG and only require low octane fuel. Insurance, maintenance, tires, etc. are all cheap.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats what im thinking any max on the miles on these motors?? I would but it would take me forever to learn how to ride one.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
thats what im thinking any max on the miles on these motors?? I would but it would take me forever to learn how to ride one.
If you are referring to a motorcycle, it's similar to a bicycle, just don't pedal.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ya everyone has told me its really easy but i just don't feel like getting on 2 wheels.

·
Registered
393 Posts
A motorcycle is easy to ride, but it can be risky learning on the street with competing traffic. I would highly recommend taking a motorcycle safety course. These courses are excellent even for experienced riders. Beyond that, I would suggest putting some miles on the bike on lightly traveled streets and roads for awhile until you gain some confidence and experience. It's much like learning to drive a car. Remember that? Same thing really.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
I live 17 km from the US border. On this side, gas costs $1.25/L (that's roughly $5.00/gallon).

On the other side, I get to fill for about $3.80 or so. I hate that imaginary line sometimes...

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
I live 17 km from the US border. On this side, gas costs $1.25/L (that's roughly $5.00/gallon).

On the other side, I get to fill for about $3.80 or so. I hate that imaginary line sometimes...
I thought we had built an actual wall to keep ya'll out? I know that we made some lakes as borders along there somewhere.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts