Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
18 months ago I bought a new, pristine FJ Cruiser (destined to become THE SCORPION)

When I bought it, the lady at the credit union asked me if I wanted "scratch insurance".

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

My reply: Are you nuts? I'm taking this baby on the road less traveled. It's going to have the $#%& scratched out of it! There's no way to avoid it.

She told me that she was serious so because I was curious to see how all that would play out (and suspected a scam to be honest with you) I forked over the money.

The key was that if they couldn't get the scratches out, they'd pay me $500. The policy cost me $400. So it didn't seem to make sense.

I bided my time.

Two weeks ago I invoked the policy and made a claim.

One week ago when I didn't get the response they promised I reminded them.

Yesterday a guy called and is coming over today at about 1600 HRS (PST) to look at the FJ - which does have desert pinstripes. The rubber is about to meet the road. We'll see if I was $400 stupid, if he can get them out or if I was $500 smart. The policy is in effect for 4 years. :rofl:

The guy asked me how bad the pinstriping was. I said to myself, "if he saw Mark (MIR207's) Richardson's FJ, he'd have a coronary." My response: Well, it doesn't look like I took a rake to the side but I do have pinstripes.

I'll let you all know (soon) whether or not it was worth it.

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
Interesting, make sure to tell us the look on his face when he walks up to the SCORPION. :D

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Scratch Insurance. Hahahahahahhahaha. :jester:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I can't wait to here how this turns out!!! Hope they take care of you either way (fix or pay).

Since it's a four year policy, can you evoke it again every few months or once a year, etc for NEW pin-striping? If it's good for that long, they should cover stuff they can't get out after your summer fun this year, right?

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL .. awesome .. I hope you get your 500$ ...
I usually get what I want. In this case I thought it would be worth the money to make the claim. It's 1603 HRS and he's not here yet, but the time suggested was not specific - "about 4pm". The scratch insurance policy is somewhat specific and I actually DO want them to find a way to take out the pinstripes. High speed buffing is fine with me. If he spends a day working on the FJ I'll leave the insurance company alone -- for a year or so -- then I'll make the next claim. Then a farewell claim close to the 4 year mark. I am not abusing this or I'd have them out here every other month removing scratches. Or I'll take the $500. That's ok too.

Now you see why I was amazed when they offered me scratch insurance.

For what it's worth, I'm not claiming the extensive denting on both rock sliders or on the BudBuilt skids, though having read the policy over, technically they are covered. Even I have my limits.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
this should be good

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

The guy is here buffing it, then he's going to fill and match paint.

It's legit!

Who would have thought?

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
All right Larry.

Only thing is you will now look like a poser have a shinny scratch free FJ. :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All right Larry.

Only thing is you will now look like a poser have a shinny scratch free FJ. :lol:
I'll tell people I just bought it off the showroom and can't wait to try it out.

He said that he can't fix the scratches in the R/V mirrors because the casing is plastic. If he cleans up the rest of it I'll be thrilled. He picked up the matching FJC paint from Toyota before coming over so I guess he's going to fill and then do whatever he does to get the scratches out.

He's out there working diligently while I watch him like a vulture from my garage, where I'm working on stuff.

If I get three or so service calls like this, it's worth the $$. He also removes small dents, etc. I don't have any of those but it's good to know for the next time.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts