Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I knew I would need to do a more aggressive body mount chop to clear the new tires. I got my angle grinder out to do it this morning and noticed that my brand new tire on the driver's side was being torn to shreds. Now the issue is not the body mount, but the body itself. The sheet metal forms a sharp edge that cuts the tire when making hard.... and even not so hard turns. Here is a pic of the carnage. I've been very careful to back off when I hear any rub, so I'm really pissed that this much damage has occurred. What the hell where the Toyota engineers thinking when they designed the wheel well and frame mounts?

I really don't understand how you guys are possibly running oversized tires.... even 285s and 33s without tearing the tires to shreds. What can I do to solve this issue? I already have an inch less backspacing with the new wheels, so they stick out... which should help. Please any help is greatly appreciated. I'm trying to leave town asap so I can wheel the new setup.... obviously i can't do that until this is resolved.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
what type of lift do you have?

we have the ome heavies... that may be a lil higher...and we run 35's. Our fender flares are also off...so it'd definitely be a threat but haven't ran across the problem

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the ICON long travel front coilovers. I had the OME heavies up front before.... at the moment, I'm actually higher than the OME had me sitting. I had them use a stiffer coil than normal, and custom valve everything using a heavier grade oil than normal because of the heavy front end. I really don't understand how you can possibly run 35s with a three inch lift. I already trimmed the plastic fender and removed the mud flaps. There is no way in hell I could fit anything bigger than what I have without doing some more modification to the wheel well. This is my least favorite aspect of the FJ. They built a truck that the knew people were going to go mod crazy with, and then design a wheel well that really can't fit anything bigger than 32in tires without pretty major modifications (cutting the frame for example)

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I don't know what to say... I know the fabfour bumper is very heavy... (which is one of the reasons why I love it). We run 35/10.5/r16... maybe it's the width of your tire?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Toledo, you may want to check your caster next time you get an alignment done (which is now). If you can get them to set it forward most, you will get significant more room. I have 34 LTBs and 305/70/16 MT/R and neither will rub (actually haven't tested the MT/R off road, but they have an inch of clearance when I have the tires cranked)-and I've yet to chop the mounts. There is potential to rub I guess. Maybe I don't wheel hard enough. I certainly don't flex the way Mir flexed his on the forklift...

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I just chopped the mount back a bit and did some very minor trimming and then folded that ridge back a bit. It is clearing ok for now. I'm having the mount chopped all the way back and welded when my friend gets back in town. I don't know how to weld yet.

I think adjusting the Castor now will make it even better. I was wondering about that... Thanks. I don't know how you haven't chopped the mount. I was getting rubbing with the duelers on the stock rims!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I think adjusting the Castor now will make it even better. I was wondering about that... Thanks. I don't know how you haven't chopped the mount. I was getting rubbing with the duelers on the stock rims!
Something isn't right. Get an alignment soon.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm getting it aligned tomorrow. The problem is that my caster angle is set at zero degrees. I'm fine on the body mount now that I cut it back a bit further. Adding a positive caster angle will solve the clearance issues. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I just read your other thread. I didn't even think of the UCA. I'm glad it worked out for you.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Something isn't right. Get an alignment soon.
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. They were stock rims with Revo Dueler ATs in a 285.... but they were rubbing pretty bad.... before the frame chop, I could basically drive in a straight line and that was it.

The Caster is the problem and that will be resolved tomorrow. Thanks again for all the help guys and gals!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts