Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't flame me for this. I have been running a unscientific test here. Really it is more common since than anything. Here is my test. Try if you want. I have been using cruise control a little more now a days that gas is high. For long trips on a flat road cruise is a good thing. Other than that it is not a good friend to have. IMHO. Anyway, using cruise at 55-60 on a highway, Scanguage states I am getting about 22-24MPG. Not bad. light turns red and I can see this from a distance. take off cruise and coast. Scanguage goes up to like 69-85MPG. after I let off cruise control shift into "N" as fast as you can and coast as far as you can and stay off the brakes and gas. Every time I do this the Scanguage shoots up to 130 -200 MPG being on flat road. going down hill coasting in "N" will get you closer to the 200 mark. Being a granny with the gas now and trying this with my last tank has yield me almost 40MPG more than on average. I did get 240 for a tank. On avg. all I ever get is 200-205 between fill ups.:bigthumb:

Like I said. Try it. You got nothing to loose. :wave:

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Don't flame me for this. I have been running a unscientific test here. Really it is more common since than anything. Here is my test. Try if you want. I have been using cruise control a little more now a days that gas is high. For long trips on a flat road cruise is a good thing. Other than that it is not a good friend to have. IMHO. Anyway, using cruise at 55-60 on a highway, Scanguage states I am getting about 22-24MPG. Not bad. light turns red and I can see this from a distance. take off cruise and coast. Scanguage goes up to like 69-85MPG. after I let off cruise control shift into "N" as fast as you can and coast as far as you can and stay off the brakes and gas. Every time I do this the Scanguage shoots up to 130 -200 MPG being on flat road. going down hill coasting in "N" will get you closer to the 200 mark. Being a granny with the gas now and trying this with my last tank has yield me almost 40MPG more than on average. I did get 240 for a tank. On avg. all I ever get is 200-205 between fill ups.:bigthumb:

I wouldn't do the whole throwing it in and out of neutral that much.. you'll end up with a leaky transmission like i had.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats a good question Todd. I will have to run some more tests and see. I try not to concern myself with average trip MPG. It gets kinda depressing. I just know that if I hit over 210 a tank I know I am doing well. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I have also heard from countless people that putting the vehicle into and out of neutral to coast is bad on the transmission. I wouldn't do this. JMO
You said you were getting "40MPG more on this tank". How, exactly, does shifting into neutral give you approximately 60 MPG???

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I think he meant 40 miles to the tank instead of 40mpg. Ace, for a 2wd, you sure don't get far with a tank of gas!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Actually, I've found the cruise is too aggressive - at least for where I live. When I first had my FJ I used the cruise all the time, it is very convenient. But I rarely got more than 225-240 between fill ups. After I stopped using the cruise my usage between fill ups was between 250-275; and that is not to fuel light on empty either. But I rarely go over 75 mph and don't push for the excellent acceleration the FJ offers. Not sure that you need to play with the shifter and coast for long decelerations to get some benefit.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
:simmadown: Sounds like alot of work and tranny wear to squeeze an extra mpg or two! I think its best to just monitor your surroundings to prevent excessive acceleration and deceleration. My scan gauge is my personal engine managment :ninja:, I think everybody should own one!

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
:simmadown: Sounds like alot of work and tranny wear to squeeze an extra mpg or two! I think its best to just monitor your surroundings to prevent excessive acceleration and deceleration. My scan gauge is my personal engine managment :ninja:, I think everybody should own one!
x2. with one its really easy to monitor your driving habits and get the best possible mpg.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
When gas was a bit cheaper, the scanguage would take a long time to pay itself back in money saved at the pump. That time to pay back is shrinking every day with the increases we're seeing. I still haven't bought a scanguage...and probably wont but it's really starting to pay off for you guys. :)

·
Registered
734 Posts

too much to think about.. I rather suck it up and pay the high premium. I've been staying away from hard launch and slightly shifting at lower rpms and more effectively, not driving as much.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well just a quick update. Just so you all know that I do not drive the freeways to get to/from work. My drive is like only 15 minutes in each direction. There is one section like 3 miles long with a max speed of 55. This is where I set the cruise. My last tank was 239 miles to almost bare dry. It costs me about $60.00 now to fuel up. $4.09 a gallon by my house for 89. About 20% of this is in taxes. I have been very slowly creeping up to speed as much as possible and no jack rabbit starts and stops either. I just hit 65 miles on the OD and have only used 1/4 tank thus far. So I am doing better than usual. :cheers:

·
Registered
199 Posts
i avg 240 to 260 on 3/4 tank of gas. I make a habbit of not letting it drop below 1/4 tank as this helps extend the life of the fuel pump. I dont know why your fuel milage is so chitty. this milage is also at 5000 feet in the mountians

1 - 17 of 17 Posts