Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I get scared when i have to do trails where there are huge drop-off's and steep switchbacks.

I once took a corner too fast and almost went off the edge of a road at Hell's Backbone (a drive i was taking in Utah) with my whole family in the back. This incident didn't cause the fear, it was already there!

I see lots of your photo's and you all seem pretty fearless, now i don't scare easily and will take any trail as long as it's not flowing down the side of a mountain. I watched a programme (maybe on the Discovery Channel) on the Bolivian Death Road... it was like a horror movie for me...

Anyway, just wondered how you guys felt about these drops and how you tackle them, as it really limits where i can travel.

Thanks.

·
Registered
586 Posts
It's always scary when the mind can't really see what's in front of you but blue sky ( When going up a steep grade ). Stick you head out of the window to navigate then you feel a heck of alot better.. Down grades use gears. It's always a rush when you go off road. I just started and can't get enough of it. Still a newbie at it though.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
yup me too. I get "shaky clutch leg" syndrome :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Is this not scary to anyone? Am i just being a girl about this?
i just [email protected] my myself. i'm not a big fan of heights. just like one of those dreams when you are tooling around in your FJ and then you go off the edge by accident and right before you hit the ground, you wake up and you're glad that you're still alive and not falling off of a cliff, then you look next to you and see skeletor sleeping next to you and you don't remember who she is or why she is there :ugh:

·
Registered
493 Posts
fear is the mind letting you know that you need to pay very close attention to what it is your doing a phobia is a very high state of fear. and crap in your pants that lets you know you just over came that fear. do your best do that puts you on edge but dont ever let somebody else tell you what that is

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
yup me too. I get "shaky clutch leg" syndrome :)
That is why I got the automatic ;)

Seriously up where I go there are lots of sheer drop offs depending on the trail/road we are on.
And I mean sheer.
They do not phase me a bit, and I have been very close to the edge of them.

You know what does?
Long bridges over water.
To this day I will not drive over either of Lake Washingtons floating bridges, or the Tacoma Narrows bridge.
It freaks me out.

Regular bridges are fine for a short distance, but not those three I mentioned.
Being a passenger going over them is OK.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Having had the side of the road crumble, and therebye end up on my side, twice...(Short dropoff, came to a rest immediately.) (Once in California, once in Utah.) I like solidly graded roads. Rain drenching keeps me away nowadays from those kind of situations. But if it's dry, and looks nice and solid, how high up it is doesn't really phase me. (Adrenaline is good!) Now, Dig4X4, where is that picture you posted taken? Awesome road!

·
Registered
854 Posts
talk to cruiserlarry, he has the same thing and he found a great solution for it. he mounted a front view camera in the middle of his front bumper facing down at about a 45 degree angle. this way he can turn it on when he wants to see what is on the other side of a drop off and know what he is getting into. i am thinking about doing the same thing

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I guess when you have a billion+ people you can afford to have death traps like that. The pic of the cliff road was amazing I had the sudden urge to get a parachute and jump off, even though I have never done any skydiving. Just amazing view on the way down.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Is this not scary to anyone? Am i just being a girl about this?
Zion National Park? The scenic road? You're just being a girl about that one. It's paved even! Run the dams across Horsetooth Reservoir in Ft. Collins, that's more frightening than the scenic loop through Zion. Tempting to go fast at some spots and that's always where people die. Easy to drive off the road on the side of the lake and it ranges from not so bad to hellish drop offs onto rocks. There are lot's of roads like that in Colorado.

Run, Bogus Ridge in Idaho... above Bogus Basin. At some points you are totally on the ridge of the mountain with drops on both sides. Now, I hate heights. Especially off-canter stuff with nasty drops on either side, but you have to get past some of that fear at some point or all of your offroading is going to be scenic driving on dirt roads.

The easiest trail at Moab, still has NASTY drop-offs, I was white knuckling half the trail. What is it... girbralter bridges to black arch or something like that? Part of the beginning of that one you're practically looking out the driver's window at a 400 ft drop with quads trying to pass you...

There is some scary stuff, but that picture you showed just makes it look scary. From the road, it's beautiful.

Nut-up... if it's paved - YOU ARE FINE!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Gemini Bridge? Great drive! Shafer trail gets you on some fairly high and slightly off-camber (tilted towards the dropoff) switchbacks. (Don't want to be there when it's wet!) Just keep looking ahead...and drive.

·
Sockless Superstar
11,826 Posts
"There is no better goal in life, than overcoming obstacles"
-Oda Nobunaga. 16th Century Japan.

"Now they shall know what Fear is"
-Thulsa Doom. Conan the Destroyer

"It's not the fall that is the problem. It's the sudden stop"
-My Dad

Fear is all it is cracked up to be. It is a state of mind that can cause your leg to shake, or can actually cause you to freeze up; preventing you from doing anything at all that might worsen your condition.

Heights. Closed in spaces. Death. Flying. ... etc

There are a lot of them. I have to say that one of the things that give people a rush, is facing these fears and overcoming them. Base Jumpers. Spelunkers. Free climbers. ...and to some degree; offroaders.

I'm sure others have better stories to tell, but some of mine are:

-Being stuck 50 yards into a culvert, crawling on my stomach with no room to even get on my hands and knees, much less to turn around. Working free to continue Forward without panicking

-Being held upside down by my ankles while I installed a bat extruder from the top of a fifth story building. I trusted my partner with my life.

-Lightning storm in the middle of a large Minnesota lake in a canoe. Seeing the lightning bolts between me and land. Waves only breaking at about 3 feet, but that is a bout 12 " higher than the bow of the canoe.

-Pushing up 9 foot waves on lake Erie and disappearing in between them in my Boston Whaler. All I could see was water much higher than my head on both sides, only to push up another wave and be on top of the world for a moment before racing down the next one. I was wondering the whole time what happens if the motor fails.

-The first time public speaking :lol:

-Extended unemployment; facing potential homelessness.

Like I said, I'm sure others have scarier stuff they could tell. ..especially Service men and women.

But what I noticed in those instances is how you have to prevent your mind from doing what it naturally wants to do. You have to overcome fear by shear will power. In essence, you need to "Just do it".

If you get through it, there is such an adreniline rush and it remains a memory the rest of your life. If you don't get through it, there might not be any memories at all :D

That is exactly, what makes you feel so alive when you are in the midst of it.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts