Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
It is the hugh drop-offs coupled with narrow shelf roads that have no place to pass. The anticipation of oncoming traffic is what gets me going. Imogene pass in southern CO has the biggest pucker factor I have encountered.

·
Registered
133 Posts
It is the hugh drop-offs coupled with narrow shelf roads that have no place to pass. The anticipation of oncoming traffic is what gets me going. Imogene pass in southern CO has the biggest pucker factor I have encountered.
Thats what gets me, the guy coming around the corner when somebody is going to have to back up.

·
Registered
563 Posts
"When we are afraid we ought not to occupy ourselves with endeavoring to prove that there is no danger, but in strengthening ourselves to go on in spite of the danger." ~Mark Rutherford

I've had some close calls on sheer drop-offs...first time offroad on a steep climb my tires dug in and spun, I hit the brakes (bad move) and begun sliding backwards towards a 1200 foot drop off the side of a cliff...talk about shaky clutch leg and a wet warm feeling down my inner thighs!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yeah, I get scared when i have to do trails where there are huge drop-off's and steep switchbacks.

I once took a corner too fast and almost went off the edge of a road at Hell's Backbone (a drive i was taking in Utah) with my whole family in the back. This incident didn't cause the fear, it was already there!

I see lots of your photo's and you all seem pretty fearless, now i don't scare easily and will take any trail as long as it's not flowing down the side of a mountain. I watched a programme (maybe on the Discovery Channel) on the Bolivian Death Road... it was like a horror movie for me...

Anyway, just wondered how you guys felt about these drops and how you tackle them, as it really limits where i can travel.

Thanks.
I'd like to ride with you. I"m sure I'd never have a thing to worry about. ;)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Regarding my first post, that trail at Hell’s Backbone was gravel but not in any way dangerous (apart from if you left the road). I have done the drive thru Zion up to Mt. Carmel Tunnel and was truly terrified… yeah and it’s paved, even has those little rails!!!

It’s not my lack of ability to stay on a road it’s just that “what if someone comes round a corner and knocks me off the road” feeling. I can’t even be in the car if someone else is driving, I would sooner walk up.

I have to drive between Las Vegas and Phoenix a lot and going over Hoover Dam is brave for me. The picture I posted was from La Paz in Bolivia (nicknamed The Death Road). I wouldn’t drive this road for a million dollars!

Quote:
"You drive on the right in Bolivia - except on the Yungas road. Here, when vehicles pass, drivers hang out of their cabs to edge closer to the cliff, or closer to the abyss. Before setting out, they pour libations of beer onto the ground to pacify Pachamama, the earth deity, and feed the stray dogs, supposedly the souls of dead drivers petitioning for safe passage. Their petitions are not always heard.

In 1994, 26 vehicles went over the edge - an average of one every two weeks. In 1995, the Inter-American Development Bank listed the road as the most dangerous on earth. In each year since it was built, up to 200 people have died on this highway: coca-growers, soldiers - and the odd tourist. On 24 July 1983, Carlos Pizarroso Inde drove his bus over the edge, killing more than 100 passengers in Bolivia's worst ever road accident".

I'm sure some of you here would like to tackle this??? Not one for me :slant:

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
Regarding my first post, that trail at Hell’s Backbone was gravel but not in any way dangerous (apart from if you left the road). I have done the drive thru Zion up to Mt. Carmel Tunnel and was truly terrified… yeah and it’s paved, even has those little rails!!!

It’s not my lack of ability to stay on a road it’s just that “what if someone comes round a corner and knocks me off the road” feeling. I can’t even be in the car if someone else is driving, I would sooner walk up.

I have to drive between Las Vegas and Phoenix a lot and going over Hoover Dam is brave for me. The picture I posted was from La Paz in Bolivia (nicknamed The Death Road). I wouldn’t drive this road for a million dollars!

Quote:
"You drive on the right in Bolivia - except on the Yungas road. Here, when vehicles pass, drivers hang out of their cabs to edge closer to the cliff, or closer to the abyss. Before setting out, they pour libations of beer onto the ground to pacify Pachamama, the earth deity, and feed the stray dogs, supposedly the souls of dead drivers petitioning for safe passage. Their petitions are not always heard.

In 1994, 26 vehicles went over the edge - an average of one every two weeks. In 1995, the Inter-American Development Bank listed the road as the most dangerous on earth. In each year since it was built, up to 200 people have died on this highway: coca-growers, soldiers - and the odd tourist. On 24 July 1983, Carlos Pizarroso Inde drove his bus over the edge, killing more than 100 passengers in Bolivia's worst ever road accident".

Fear sure doesn't know any reason. I'm the type that likes to confront and conquer my fears. My method is to gradually acclimate to them. Soon enough that fear is conquered and it's time to move on. There is no fear that's dumb to the person experiencing it. There are a lot of really fun, flat trails out there. Just have fun, no reason to push it if you don't feel like it.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Hike this trail:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g182/roverggm/china2to3.jpg

in a Chinese national park.

After that everything else will seem tame by comparison.
haha. I saw lots of pictures of that trail recently with ppl on it. I was thinking of these pics the whole time I was reading this thread. Everything would seem like a walk in the park after this hell.

BTW, I'm afraid of heights too. Don't like those roller coaster rides the kids go crazy for. Last year we went on the Manhattan Express in Vegas. The ride that goes around the hotel. After that, I swore I was done with them.

Nice Stories Dragon. I can't believe you let your buddy hold you upside down 5 stories up. That's crazy. Your story reminds me of being out in the ocean with a local panamanian fisherman in a 2 man canoe during a storm. He was looking for his fish nets at night 1 mile or so off shore. We had to take turns bailing water out of the canoe with a small bucket. It seemed to fill in just as fast as I was bailing. Never felt so small and insignificant in my life. Kept thinking the whole time how I could fall overboard and get eaten by sharks and no one would know. Oh yeah, got seasick the whole time and get wait to get back on land. You're right dragon. I'll never forget it.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
That is why I got the automatic ;)

Seriously up where I go there are lots of sheer drop offs depending on the trail/road we are on.
And I mean sheer.
They do not phase me a bit, and I have been very close to the edge of them.

You know what does?
Long bridges over water.
To this day I will not drive over either of Lake Washingtons floating bridges, or the Tacoma Narrows bridge.
It freaks me out.

Regular bridges are fine for a short distance, but not those three I mentioned.
Being a passenger going over them is OK.

oh man the tacoma narrows bridge just rocks. For floating bridges the Hood Canal bridge is great too. It makes the lake washington bridges seem like normal roads. Corey just think how damn deep and wet and cold and dark it is under there! ANd out in the middle there is the wierd detour for the rotating drawbridge mechanism.

Think of the old I-90 Lake Washington bridge sitting on the bottom! its still there from when it flooded during a storm and sank!

Personally I prefer like the extremely high old skinny bridges with open grille decks you can look right straight down thru. There used to be one in BOoneville Missouri over the Missouri River which was just the tits. I hope it is still there. Bridge of the Gods is pretty cool too.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts

Quote:

was that a typical year, or a bad year?

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Know whats great... When riding over a grated bridge,
like the Mackinac bridge in Michigan... You stick you
head out the window and look straight down while
moving along, you don't really see the grating at all,
just the water hundreds of feet below...

·
Registered
559 Posts
bandi is right, mack bridge is awesome to look out the windoe while crossing. my g/f is afraid of bridges, so i really freaked her out this summer while crossing. it was great. after about 20-30 feet, all heights are the same to me. i only see 2-d, not 3-d. damn lazy eye... if i could count the times i've accidentially hit buildings while parking... let me remove my socks.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I hate ledges and tall buildings but absolutely love driving extreme shelf roads. It's like a drug for me. The only thing that totally sucks is when you have to negotiate a vehicle pass and there is no safe turn-out. THAT sucks.

If you really want to drive a scary bridge, try the Royal Gorge in Canon City, CO. It is the world's tallest bridge. Over 1,000 feet. It is wooden and rickety and sways like hell with the slightest breeze.

Royal Gorge Bridge and Park, Canon City, Colorado

21 - 40 of 64 Posts