269 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Know whats great... When riding over a grated bridge,
like the Mackinac bridge in Michigan... You stick you
head out the window and look straight down while
moving along, you don't really see the grating at all,
just the water hundreds of feet below...

RIGHT!
Corey you got that? You cant see the bridge deck AT ALL! Just the water! (or ice)! Hundreds of feet below! Its best when there is a thin layer of wet ice on the steel grate also, so its slippery too! Also High Crosswind, And... Big fishtailing triple trailer semis trucks in the oncoming lane. WHOOSH!!

Pittsburg used to have the best grate bridges. You would be driving along and suddenly, without warning, there was NOTHING BELOW THE CAR.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I hate ledges and tall buildings but absolutely love driving extreme shelf roads. It's like a drug for me. The only thing that totally sucks is when you have to negotiate a vehicle pass and there is no safe turn-out. THAT sucks.

If you really want to drive a scary bridge, try the Royal Gorge in Canon City, CO. It is the world's tallest bridge. Over 1,000 feet. It is wooden and rickety and sways like hell with the slightest breeze.

Royal Gorge Bridge and Park, Canon City, Colorado
well it would only be 8 seconds down to the bottom.

I like that it has "wood planks" and is only 18 feet wide. I have wanted to see this thing for years. I want to drive over it before it is declared unsafe.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
It really is quite an experience.

The silly thing is, it's basically a bridge to nowhere. You go to the other side and then turn around and come right back. As you cross it, it sways like crazy and usually you have to drive around pedestrians.

The vertical cog railway is also unbelievable. And there are some great white water rapids if you ever have the opportunity to raft through it. Based on the snows we have this year, the rafting is going to be incredible come Spring.

The Royal Gorge is just spectacular. I flew over the Grand Canyon the other day and IMO, the Royal Gorge is more impressive.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Ok, after seeing that road in Bolivia, my butt has officially eaten my shorts. :eek:
If you get chance watch the programme on it, it was called The Death Road or The Highway of Death... well worth watching. One poor guy was on a bus that went over the edge, he lost his wife and son. When he recovered he took another bus to look for thier bodies... and that one went over as well (he survived both times). The villagers won't travel on a bus with him now, they think he may be bad luck :slant:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
If you get chance watch the programme on it, it was called The Death Road or The Highway of Death... well worth watching. One poor guy was on a bus that went over the edge, he lost his wife and son. When he recovered he took another bus to look for thier bodies... and that one went over as well (he survived both times). The villagers won't travel on a bus with him now, they think he may be bad luck :slant:
Uhhh screw that guy Im walkin.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I'm right there with you! To hell with that.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
It really is quite an experience.

The silly thing is, it's basically a bridge to nowhere. You go to the other side and then turn around and come right back. As you cross it, it sways like crazy and usually you have to drive around pedestrians.

The vertical cog railway is also unbelievable. And there are some great white water rapids if you ever have the opportunity to raft through it. Based on the snows we have this year, the rafting is going to be incredible come Spring.

The Royal Gorge is just spectacular. I flew over the Grand Canyon the other day and IMO, the Royal Gorge is more impressive.
Ah ... the pedestrians! Such a narrow bridge! Here is where the train horn and the 10 kilowatt Micrad lightbar would come in handy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The hell with riding with that guy I would walk. I was thinking a car on that road would be bad enough I didn't even think about a bus trying to run that. I am going to have to try and catch the show about this road.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Have many fears... when i was little a man broke in our home and was standing over me while i was asleep i froze, but could hear him breathing and heard him walk out of the room, now opened my eyes nothing there... must have been a dream got up went to the bathroom, on way back to my room look in living room... behind the curtain, a head curve is sticking out at about the 6ft level making the curtains hang over his head funny, not a dream... grab my pillow and run to my parents room, my dad looked for him but the curtain he was behind was by the front door, my dad looked outside for him came back in the house and then as we settled back down, a trash can at the neighbors house crashed over and then the dogs and cats in the area started barking and hissing, he was on the run now! from that time on we locked our doors at night! and i slept in my parents room for months! my poor folks!
Then fear of hights, especially roads with passenger side cliffs! Ask wrig i get freaked out! In the Dirt not so bad as the speed is a lot less! then high bridges and overpasses too!
I did however over come some fears working in the Jr high ministry at church. I have repelled down a 90-100 sheer wall in Joshua tree, all the litlle jr high girls were crying and then did it, wow i have to do it, and i did! it was a blast! I also did white water kayaking on the kern river with this group! scary but fun! Tioga Pass at high speeds because your hubby thinks its a great slolom course for a sports car! got me to white knuckle the door handle! at low speed quite an awesome drive!
wrig has a quote i hope i get it right: "faster and faster, till the thrill of speed, overcomes the fear of death!" probably said it wrong but same idea!:)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Is this not scary to anyone? Am i just being a girl about this?
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

- The Bene Gesserit Littainy against Fear​
-------
I'd still be a bit cautious there.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Have many fears... when i was little a man broke in our home and was standing over me while i was asleep i froze, but could hear him breathing and heard him walk out of the room, now opened my eyes nothing there... must have been a dream got up went to the bathroom, on way back to my room look in living room... behind the curtain, a head curve is sticking out at about the 6ft level making the curtains hang over his head funny, not a dream... grab my pillow and run to my parents room, my dad looked for him but the curtain he was behind was by the front door, my dad looked outside for him came back in the house and then as we settled back down, a trash can at the neighbors house crashed over and then the dogs and cats in the area started barking and hissing, he was on the run now! from that time on we locked our doors at night! and i slept in my parents room for months! my poor folks!
QUOTE]

OMG! That's awful, makes me shiver. I am alone tonight...can't stop thinking about your damn story :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
My biggest fear are politicians who know what is best for me. Everything else I'm confident that I can survive, with a bit of foresight and commonsense thrown in.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Is this not scary to anyone? Am i just being a girl about this?
No, I remember a story about interviewing truckers who tried to prove their ability by saying how many wheels they could have off the edge of the cliff and still stay on the curve. The one who never approached the edge of the cliff, got the job. Myself, unless I have to, I never approach the edge. I have seen the affect of the soft edge effect (meaning the ledge was only soft dirt and no rock support; the affect is a rolled vehicle and injured passengers). If I can't see where I am going it is time for me to take a walk and figure out where I am going while my Passenger drives ( heck, it is my vehicle, and they know how to drive).

Edit: I must say however, if you can walk, there are some beautiful sights ( like that of Bolivia) that can only be accessed using roads that once you go off the edge you are going to see your maker. Fear is healthy, it gives you a reality check. Living without fear creates and environment where no precautions are taken.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts