Premium Member
4,256 Posts
Re: i got a new accesory for the FJ today

Very nice!! Wish I had one:cheers:

·
Registered
4,384 Posts

Add to high speed stability as well, right?

·
Registered
93 Posts

Nice! :bigthumb: how are you securing it?

·
Registered
260 Posts

This is a particularly great mod for those pesky times the Fj flips over in water. Just open the windows and start paddling.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Nice! :bigthumb: how are you securing it?
Right now I am just using foam pads on the stock rack mounts and a ratchet tie. It seems pretty solid but for longer drives I think I will want something more secure.
Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
3,177 Posts

Very nice. I'm thinking along the same lines.
It might ride better up side down.

·
Registered
671 Posts

I'm sure some will chime in about how bad the OEM crossbars are and that they are going to snap off as soon as you hit the highway. I don't think they are that bad. I would however suggest going with a Thule or Yakima crossbar system. It is more sturdy and a easy glide system will make it much easier to load and secure your new kayak. It is an investment and it's worth protecting it so it will last you a long time. When I get the chance I spend a lot of time driving down to the coast to fish. About a 2 to 2.5 hour drive each way. Yeah your milage will drop. Enjoy the kayak and the fishing.

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts

I use the Thule Slide and Glide set on Thule Bars

Its awesome out on a nice quiet lake or river with no boats around
Fishing or just paddling around
I usually bring lunch and listen to the ballgame and catch some sun
Enjoy!!

·
Premium Member
412 Posts

Awesome! I spent a week kayaking around Prince William Sound near Whittier alaska and I loved about every second of it. So relaxing, and good exercise at the same time! I am jealous!

·
Registered
59 Posts

Awesome! How would one go about transporting one of these with rooflights on the FJ any suggestions?

·
Registered
27 Posts

Hey fjhawkdriver, what kind of tent is that in your pic? How does it hold up against the wind at the beach?

·
Registered
671 Posts

Hey fjhawkdriver, what kind of tent is that in your pic? How does it hold up against the wind at the beach?
It's a Kamp-Rite oversize tent cot. It works awesome on the beach. I've used it several times and like the fact that it keeps me off the sand. Easy to set up and take down also. No problems with the wind.

·
Registered
671 Posts

Awesome! How would one go about transporting one of these with rooflights on the FJ any suggestions?
I have lights and Airdam on my FJ and using the Thule crossbars and Esayglide system there is no problem. Using the crossbars the kayak sits high enough that there is no contact with the lights or airdam. I can even put my two rotopax fuel can on the roof rack under the kayak for the long beach runs.

·
Registered
237 Posts

I use two tie downs, one over the top and one in the back down to the hitch. Works great never had any problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts