Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

I got an FJ. Now what?!

2K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  Bad Wolf 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Sorry, this might be a bit long-- I'll start with a bit about me, and then I have a question at the end that I'd really appreciate any feedback/response to. Psyched to be part of this community!

I made the significant upgrade from a 1998 Honda CRV to a 2010 FJC last month, right before making a cross country move from TN to Boston, MA. The Honda was old, but I knew all her little maintenance ticks and she got the job done while I camped and road-tripped all over the country from my home base in Boulder, CO the last five years. That's why I bought the FJC, because I think it will perfectly meet my outdoor/adventure needs as well as being great in the winter mess up here in New England. I can't wait to start customizing and working on a sleeper set up in the back for me and my dog.

But first...we've run into some mechanical issues. The vehicle only had 58K and I got it for a steal, I thought. I did my due diligence and had it checked by two mechanics before buying and the only issue that came up was a possible rear wheel bearing noise, but the second mechanic said they didn't find/hear that. At the time, the car was driving EXCELLENT. Now, after the 1200 road trip, it seems noticeably louder driving down the road (no grinding, but just "rough sounding") and during acceleration only. Plus there is a subtle vibration in the steering wheel I didn't' notice before.

So, took it in for evaluation and mechanic says it needs the two FRONT wheel bearings replaced-- quoted about $840. I called another shop and got a similar quote, but he said it's very hard to tell "which" wheel the noise is coming from so most garages just default to repairing both. But, my concern is that one guy said it was the rear, another guy said both fronts, and yet another guy said none at all-- Do you all have any recommendation for questions I should ask, things to look for to make sure I'm getting the actual problem worked on and not doing more than necessary for repairs. Any ideas if $840 seems reasonable for Boston, MA pricing? Thanks for reading!!

See less See more
#4 ·
Very skeptical about the "bad wheel bearing" diagnoses, ESPECIALLY if multiple "mechanics" can't even agree if the noise is from front or back of the vehicle.

Wheel bearing failure at 58K miles would be very unusual unless the vehicle was equipped with grossly oversize tires, wheel spacers, or frequently had the hubs fully submerged in water.

Before spending a penny on ANY repairs, you've got to identify the source of the noise with a high confidence factor.

No history of flood exposure?

What type of tires are you running (street, M+S, A/T, M/T, etc.)?
What % of the tread is worn?
What tire pressure are you running?
How uniform is the tread wear pattern across all four tires?
Does the "rough sound" change if you significantly change the tire pressure?

#5 ·
Welcome aboard! Sorry to hear of the front wheel bearing issues.

#7 ·
If you do end up replacing the front bearings... Zack at midstatesoffroad is a vendor, and sells the bearing assembly for about $200 per corner. So $400 for parts for the front bearings.

https://midstatesoffroad.americommerce.com/

#8 ·
Hi Hannah, welcome from central Ohio!

First: I got an FJ. Now what?! --> FUN!!

Second: FJtest is one of the members that can really help you get your problem sorted. Take the time to figure out the answers all of his questions and you'll figure out the cause of the problem. At times he may sound picky, but that's because a good diagnosis can require precise information. Members helping members is one of great parts of this forum.

Good luck and have FUN with your FJ!

Reactions: Lee44
#10 ·
Welcome to the fun!

Ditto about the questions FJtest posed.

And not that this is FJ related but.....I cracked a head on a 350 short block and the "trustworthy" shop I took it to wanted $750 just for the heads. They gave me bs about the heads being special and hard to find and their cost was astronomical. I talked to my gf, who built the truck, and she said that was total crap. We found new heads for less than $200, I pulled my truck out of the shop and learned how to do a fairly simple job myself. The more I do myself (in all aspects of life) the more I'm able to know when someone is trying to rob me blind. Mechanics, electricians, plumbers, roofers, framers and so on. If you have the resources (time, money, place to do it) I would encourage you to do it yourself.
The caveat is that sometimes time/space is more valuable than the cost. I get it. I'm also massively hard headed and will buy a $600 tool to fix something someone wants $200 to fix. But I end up with a new tool!! Awesome. New shiny tools are intoxicating. All glittery and cold and when you touch it, there's a little bit of moisture left behind.....whut?

I have a problem....

#11 ·
If indeed wheel bearings are the problem (debatable), the fronts are pretty easy DIY if you are so inclined. The rears, not so much.

#14 ·
Welcome aboard! Sorry to hear about the mechanical issues. Some people may not like this answer but here goes lol
I work for a dealership. Not Totoya. I would take it to a Toyota dealer for diagnosis. We see repairs done at other shops that dont solve the problem. Not saying all shops are like that but there some. My $.02 lol

#17 ·
Welcome from CA. Search for symptoms of a front wheel bearing and what the sounds are. Like if turning causes the noise to go away. For the rear wheel bearings, is there any leaking? or a feeling of vibrating? An easy maintenance to do yourself or have a shop do is to lube the drive line (transfer case and rear drive shafts) and see if that relieves any acceleration vibration. Keep asking the questions. The crew here knows the ins and outs!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.