Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone planning on doing an aftermarket stereo system in the truck? It's something I wouldn't mind doing but.....where are installers going to run amp/sub wiring? In my past cars, it's been under the floor carpeting. Obviously, since the FJ has no carpet...whats the next option? Maybe under the rubber floor? Does anyone even think this will be possible? I'd imagine the rubber flooring is glued down or something. Any input from people who have seen it in person?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Jo2 said:
Anyone planning on doing an aftermarket stereo system in the truck? It's something I wouldn't mind doing but.....where are installers going to run amp/sub wiring? In my past cars, it's been under the floor carpeting. Obviously, since the FJ has no carpet...whats the next option? Maybe under the rubber floor? Does anyone even think this will be possible? I'd imagine the rubber flooring is glued down or something. Any input from people who have seen it in person?
pimp my FJ (rooster - this is your cue)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
be patient. rooster will be helpful and informative to you here shortly.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Jo2 said:
I haven't seen the FJ in person yet but if it's anything like the Honda Element's rubber floor - instead of carpet, they use this flexible rubber material. It is not glued to the metal so you will not have problems running wires in between.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Lost Cosmonaut said:
Yo, I wonder if my 25" spinnaz would fit on the FJ dawg.

Can I get it with Louis Vuitton leather seating too?

- LC

"CHOKE YOURSELF! NOT WITH YOUR HAND... WITH MY HAND! DON'T TOUCH MY HAND! LEAN INTO IT!" - R. Lee Ermy. Meanest D.I. In USMC history with a classic line from Full Metal Jacket.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fjsmurf said:
I haven't seen the FJ in person yet but if it's anything like the Honda Element's rubber floor - instead of carpet, they use this flexible rubber material. It is not glued to the metal so you will not have problems running wires in between.
thank you.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Jo2 said:

If the rubber flooring is glued a hot gun will let you get it up, the other option is to follow the edges on the inside of the vehicle and then do a cover-up, maybe slicing a bike inner tube. Then there is the expensive option...

Remember when upgrading do it in order AMP, Speakers(I suggest Focals for replacement) and then Head unit (good luck with the head unit considering the config in the dash of the FJ but if you can I suggest Eclispe)

I am curious how the orignial equip will sound, I suspect imaging will suffer for the tweeters type and location but then again its a car and imaging is always a red headed bastard child.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Roosterdo said:
If the rubber flooring is glued a hot gun will let you get it up, the other option is to follow the edges on the inside of the vehicle and then do a cover-up, maybe slicing a bike inner tube. Then there is the expensive option...

Remember when upgrading do it in order AMP, Speakers(I suggest Focals for replacement) and then Head unit (good luck with the head unit considering the config in the dash of the FJ but if you can I suggest Eclispe)

I am curious how the orignial equip will sound, I suspect imaging will suffer for the tweeters type and location but then again its a car and imaging is always a red headed bastard child.
told you joho

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Roosterdo said:

I was thinking possible along the inner door sills, but I still need to see it in person. What is the expensive option you are speaking of? I'm looking forward to figuring this out at the philly autoshow in february. As for equipment, no clue what i'll go with yet, my installer prefers rainbow and arc audio equipment. The headunit definitely has to be ipod compatible and I'll probably do it first, if anything, because I need to have my ipod in my ride! I have my ipod hardwired into my current cars headunit and I could never own a car with out a hardwired ipod option again. No more lugging around a huge cd book for me.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Jo2 said:
I was thinking possible along the inner door sills, but I still need to see it in person. What is the expensive option you are speaking of? I'm looking forward to figuring this out at the philly autoshow in february. As for equipment, no clue what i'll go with yet, my installer prefers rainbow and arc audio equipment. The headunit definitely has to be ipod compatible and I'll probably do it first, if anything, because I need to have my ipod in my ride! I have my ipod hardwired into my current cars headunit and I could never own a car with out a hardwired ipod option again. No more lugging around a huge cd book for me.
from what we hear there will be an aux input with the stock stereo.

when you puttin the playstation in?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
ForDirtandStreet, what's this about an owners manual?? Did I miss a delivery somewhere? Repair manuals? Owners manuals?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ForDRTnST said:
The radio is IPOD ready as well as mp3 capable and with XM option. At least thats what the owners manual says!:D
that is excellent news.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The stock stereo is always the first to go in my vehicles. I appreciate Hi-fidelity and some bass. I haven't caught on to the IPod craze yet, but I'm sure I will once it gets cheaper.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Jo2 said:
I was thinking possible along the inner door sills, but I still need to see it in person. What is the expensive option you are speaking of? .
Anything can be done via the expensive option.... For one go to the parts depart and get a second rubber flooring and install the wire and then install the second flooring on top - ie like carpet on carpet, or add carpet or add plateing to the floor
and pretty soon the install will be worth more then your audio system....THERE IS ALWAYS AN EXPENSIVE OPTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool: :D :cool:

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Three sheets in the garage waiting!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts