Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends say that I have the signs of possessing Automotive ADD. They may be right. I think that I sometimes make impulsive decisions that I later end up regretting. Getting rid of my Chrysler 300C SRT8 hot-rod is one of those bad decisions. Buying the wrong utility vehicle for the application was another.

This past Monday night I brokered a deal with a local Nissan dealership using a friend's Nissan corporate VPP buying plan to trade my 2010 Trail Teams for a 2011 Nissan Titan Pro-4X crew cab. I was able to come out ahead on total owed and amount of monthly payment thanks to an interest rate 2% lower than what I was already paying on the Toyota.

Having two adults and two grown teenagers trying to shoehorn into the FJC, especially with the ridiculous suicide doors, had become tiresome. Borrowing a trailer or someone else's truck every time I needed to haul supplies for a home / yard project had become tiresome. While she was an amazingly fun daily driver and tons of fun out in the high desert this past Fall, it was just time to make a difficult decision and part ways. The FJC, for me, was just the wrong tool for the application.

My wife still has her 2010 Army Green FJC and we have zero plans of getting rid of it. So I'm still in the family... just one step removed. ;)

Anyway, I want to thank all of you here who have contributed to the massive pool of knowledge that FJCF possesses. You've been instrumental in draining my bank account and putting an increasingly larger smile on my face for the past year.

I'll still be around of course. And actually I've got a full suspension take-off from my Trail Teams (factory) and black front bumper cover that I need to sell, so I'll be listing those soon.

Of course, what would this post be without an obligatory picture of the new horse, right?

I'll have to take some better pics of my own after the weather becomes a little more favorable.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
My wife still has her 2010 Army Green FJC and we have zero plans of getting rid of it.
Does this make you an owner-in-law??

Nice truck, I think having two FJs in the family is a little overkill. Variety is the spice of life - Good choice!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Boy are you going to regret that...my best friend has one of those trucks and has nothing but problems with it...why not a new Tundra?

·
Registered
122 Posts
^^
ditto, sans "best friend" part.

That is one of the biggest reasons for me to switch from my current ride - nissan is not a reliable brand.. as in you can not count on them to follow through and actually help you like toyota does.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I had an 06 titan extended cab SE that was a company truck until last year.
I put about 100,000 on it.
It was an ok truck, but it sucked gas, ate brake pads for lunch and I think the transmission was starting to slip when we got rid of it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Delta Kilo, I loved your TT..............I made a list of the mods you made because I intend to do something very similar to mine. I'm going to miss your pics of it.

Just wondering......why did you not keep the TT for the wife and sell her AG??

·
Registered
50 Posts
Beautiful truck, my Nissan crew cab was the same color. I think the regret moving to nissan is car to car. I had a Frontier crew cab before the fj and put 160k miles on it with only routine care. Fantasticly reliable vehicle. I know it isn't a Titan. My childhood friend and toyota plant employee couldn't keep his same year Tacoma out of the shop and traded it off with under 20k. Not bashing Toyota of course, I have one as does most of my family thanks to a brother in law working at toyota plant.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you sell the FJ with the mods or did you move them over to Mrs. Delta Kilo's AG?
It was offered but she declined. She didn't like the way the FJ rode with the taller suspension and tires, and without beefier front suspension, the Expedition One bumper would have made the front sag about 2"

Stock suspension FJ's have a "stink bug" stance anyway, so it would have been horrible.

I miss my SRT8 as well.
That thing was just fast.
Yeah, that was one of the most well-rounded fast cars that I've had to date. I wish it just didn't have the social stigma that the 300 has with so many of them being "ghetto sleds". I've never been watched by police as much as I was in that car.

Does this make you an owner-in-law??

Nice truck, I think having two FJs in the family is a little overkill. Variety is the spice of life - Good choice!
I agree. We didn't start out with two FJ's. Had we kept my F250 and my TT, this post wouldn't have happened. Of course, had my F250 not been a steaming pile of Navistar Diesel crap, I'd probably still have it too. :D

Boy are you going to regret that...my best friend has one of those trucks and has nothing but problems with it...why not a new Tundra?
You know, I've read comments like that elsewhere and mostly they tend to center around the first few years made. I have a friend who works here at the Smyrna, TN Nissan plant in a job role that has him traveling to dealerships to evaluate warranty replacements to see why the component(s) failed and help engineer a better product subsequent to the investigation.

Before I bought the Titan, I drilled him on them and he said that they are a low-incident vehicle -- meaning they rarely see warranty issues with them.

Do I think they initially had problems? Yes. If I thought they still did, I wouldn't have bought it.

As for why the Nissan... VPP discount and massive rebates. I would have paid $10,000 more for a comparable Tundra and I honestly don't like the way the Tundra looks.

Just wondering......why did you not keep the TT for the wife and sell her AG??
I'm not sure how it works at your house, but I'd have been sleeping in the garage with the new truck if I had traded her truck off against her will. :D

The Army Green is the first new car she has ever owned and she hunted that color down specifically. She'll probably get rid of me before she gets rid of it.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was an ok truck, but it sucked gas, ate brake pads for lunch and I think the transmission was starting to slip when we got rid of it.
I think it's all a matter of perspective. My FJ got atrocious gas mileage on the open road after I lifted it and added a couple hundred extra pounds of trail armor. And that's considering it had the aerodynamic qualities of a large toaster before I started hanging ballast off of it. :lol:

I'm not looking to get stellar MPG out of the Titan either, but it should do as good if not better than the FJ was getting. V8 torque, better coefficient of drag and it's also E85 flex-fuel capable so I can gain a little savings at the pump too.

Really, this is an apples to oranges comparison no matter how we look at it. Two totally different vehicles with two totally different applications. Of course, had the FJ been a V8 or even a turbo Diesel 6-cyl and had those rear doors been just a little wider and folded out 180-degrees so that adults can get into the back without doing a dance between two other parked cars...

·
Registered
545 Posts
....and another one bites the dust.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
....and another one bites the dust.
Admittedly I haven't been very active on here lately. Have others dumped their FJ's recently for similar reasons?

·
Registered
493 Posts
V8 torque, better coefficient of drag and it's also E85 flex-fuel capable so I can gain a little savings at the pump too.
E85 will give you worse gas mileage than gasoline will. Your cost/ mile will be more with E85 than it will be with gasoline, negating any at the pump cost savings.
E85 mileage should be about 20% lower than with Gasoline.
Enjoy the new ride!

KyFJGuy

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
E85 will give you worse gas mileage than gasoline will. Your cost/ mile will be more with E85 than it will be with gasoline, negating any at the pump cost savings.
E85 mileage should be about 20% lower than with Gasoline.
Enjoy the new ride!

KyFJGuy
That's good to know, thanks. I have had zero experience with E85 having previously been a Diesel guy and not really seeing any downsides to using alternative bio-fuels in it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If I didn't buy the FJ, it would have been the Titan. My wife has a 01 pathfinder 4wd with only 58k miles, and we have never had a problem with it, except for the running boards rusting out. She wants to trade it in for an AG FJ, but I would prefer her to get a Titan.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Your gunna miss the FJ. Pick up trucks are a dime a dozen.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your gunna miss the FJ. Pick up trucks are a dime a dozen.
Did you miss the part about the fact that we had two and now still have one?

There's nothing "unique" about the need to haul four grown adults easier or haul supplies in the bed of a vehicle. I wasn't looking for something that wasn't a dime a dozen. But thanks. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
As I said previously, I'm going to miss seeing pics of your TT, but I understand your decision. Family needs come first.......with 4 people to haul around and the need for something that can carry "larger" items in the back a pickup truck is the logical choice.

Hope you will share pics of the wife's AG in the future and stay active on this forum. We need more Tennessee guys. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts