Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last year or so I decided I wanted another 4wd vehicle. I didn't need it, just wanted it. I debated on upgrading my Dodge RAM to a 4wd model, but decided against it. I have had wranglers and even a Willys in the past. This time I wanted something different, so I started looking for a FJ a couple of months ago. Little did I know that they had risen in popularity (people are like cattle, we all do the same thing at the same time).

It took a while to find one that had decent miles (yes I know they run forever), and wasn't in too rough shape. Another thing was to stay in my budget.

After several "sold before I got there" (I work all the time), I finally found a 2008 with barely 100k and in good shape. It needed new rubber and I had it checked and serviced while on the rack. No rust, clean carfax etc.

I am working out a few of the miscellaneous things an 11 year old vehicle needs, like cloudy headlights. Nothing major, I am just OCD sometimes.

Finally had a chance to do a decent drive in it today. My wife and I did about 300 miles at 70-80mph on a short day trip to the Wichita Mountains in Oklahoma. We literally drove up there circled Medicine Park (Mt Scott is closed) and came home!! When I filled up in Wichita Falls, TX, MPG was at 17.5. I consider that a win for an engine that doesn't shut off cylinders and a body that is shaped like a brick!

The ride was pleasant, interior not too noisy even though I installed a set of Grabber AT/X all terrain tires on it.

I am in the process of installing ham radio gear, hopefully I will have that mostly done this week.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,340 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Welcome From Tex.....uh, well, Howdie!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome and nice FJ

Are you going to keep those running boards and those wheels?
I have my doubts about both staying. The wheels were on it when I bought it, and they won't hold up to anything serious off road in my opinion. The same holds true for the running boards.

That being said, I also doubt I will be doing anything too serious. It will probably see a road or two in Colorado, but I generally ride a dual sport bike for the serious stuff. And as that part of my life goes, I fall down so I am thinking of buying a helicopter to make it easier.... :grin

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
welcome

1 - 15 of 15 Posts