Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Hydro556

I have the front of the truck lifted to just level it. I do not have any rub issues at all and I have wheeled the truck quite a lot. maybe the way that I explained the orig post was not correct. I do not think there would be any rub issues with this size tire 265/75R-16 with a stock offset wheel even if the truck was not leveled. hope that helps

JKFJ08

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hydro556

I have the front of the truck lifted to just level it. I do not have any rub issues at all and I have wheeled the truck quite a lot. maybe the way that I explained the orig post was not correct. I do not think there would be any rub issues with this size tire 265/75R-16 with a stock offset wheel even if the truck was not leveled. hope that helps

JKFJ08
Thanks for clarifying JFK. I did not mean to sound short. I am just getting very frustrated with the lack of clarity concerning what can be run, on a stock FJ, with stock wheels without excessive rubbing.

I just dont want to be stuck with a factory 265 sized mud tire, if I can go bigger. I am really kind of shocked that I may have to stick with the tiny 265's. They just look way too small and do not feel the wheel wells up for that beefier look, in addition to limiting off road capability in a truck that has the technology to be very capable. Not being able to fill the wheel wells with some 285's (without having to lift the truck) seems like a poor decision by the manufacturer. I am okay with Toyota shipping the trucks with 265's for economic and durability issues, but they should have designed in enough clearance for people to beef up the tire size.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
From reading many posts on this issue, the difference between the 265s and 285s is negligible, but noticeable for some. You get about an inch of height and an inch of width.

If you're really looking to fill the wheel well, go with the 285s and get the body mount chop and you'll be good.

·
Registered
450 Posts
From reading many posts on this issue, the difference between the 265s and 285s is negligible, but noticeable for some. You get about an inch of height and an inch of width.

If you're really looking to fill the wheel well, go with the 285s and get the body mount chop and you'll be good.
Yup.......

Your only option is 285s...

265/75 16 = 31.6 10.4
285/75 16 = 32.8 11.2

The body chop should eliminate all rubbing issues with 285s as long as you are running the factory wheels.

Why are you so set on not getting a lift? Mine drives better with my current lift and tires than it did stock. Sure gas mileage is a little worse, but it's less of a change than most people think...

·
Registered
934 Posts
I am not going to lift the truck. But I may consider the body mount mod, if it is pretty easy and doesnt affect my whole warranty.

Please clarify what you did to clear the 285's, as these are the size I really want, assuming I dont have excessive rubbing without having to lift.
I did not have the body mount chop done when I wounted them at first that is what rubbed. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So it is pretty much accepted that one can run 285's with only a body mount chop? If so I will go this route assuming the chop is pretty easy. Can someone point me to a link on how this is done? Does it affect warranty?

This is good news to me. I really want the 285s. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks, I will check it out.

Have any of you done this? Was it easy? Are you happy with it after having it done for a while. Can anyone say definitively that it clears 285's reasonably well off road?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts