Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bad weather outside...started sliding into car in front of me. as i came closer i started slamming on brakes bla bla, well i stopped inches away from the car in front but when i looked down i was in PARK. i must have thrown in in park without knowing trying to stop. the road was super slick and i think my foot was on the brake the whole time.

did i do a bad damaging thing? no noises and fj drives and rides fine...

·
can i become 1/2mil90 for a little while
2,555 Posts
I'm no mechanic, but I'm pretty sure the computer in modern cars overrides the electronics in the transmission . With that being said, it shouldn't cause any damage as you're not really in park.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm no mechanic, but I'm pretty sure the computer in modern cars overrides the electronics in the transmission . With that being said, it shouldn't cause any damage as you're not really in park.
i hope you are right...the fj just popped right through reverse into park no grinding or problem at all...was probably traveling 10 mph or less...

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
It sounds like you're OK. No noise, no resistance, the electronics handled it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I haven seen people at a local rent-a-car place throw all sorts of cars into park at approx 30mph, the car just starts clicking really loud until it comes to a full stop, then functions as normal. Never seen it in a Toyota. PS, the only way to take it out of park, even though you are still rolling, is to have your foot on the brake, otherwise it wont come out of park, just an FYI if that happens to you again.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Didn't mythbusters do one on this?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Just my thoughts, you said you started sliding, slammed on the breaks, stopped, looked down and you were in park. might be hard to tell, but were you wheels still turning? if you're wheels were no longer turning, putting it in park would be no different then putting it in park when you park it at the end of the night. everything about the car would have been at a standstill, like a normal parking situation, you just happened to be sliding accross the street. you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
8,287 Posts
... the computer in modern cars overrides the electronics in the transmission .
Yep, the FJC auto transmission is completely fly-by-wire, there is no direct linkage to the tranny. The shifter is just an electronic switch for the ECM. The ECM will not let the tranny shift into Reverse or Park at any wheel rpm at all.
No harm no foul.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Yep, the FJC auto transmission is completely fly-by-wire, there is no direct linkage to the tranny. The shifter is just an electronic switch for the ECM. The ECM will not let the tranny shift into Reverse or Park at any wheel rpm at all.
No harm no foul.
Even if it did you were slidding and it would not bind anything up anyway!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just drove FJ home and all seems ok, only thing i noticed is that when i put it in park (flat or on a hill), it makes a noticable clicking sound from the shifter before settling into park. I dont think it did that before, thoughts?

·
Premium Member
8,287 Posts
Auto transmissions have a parking pawl, a pin that locks up the tranny so the output shaft (and hence the driven wheels) can't move at all. Often times when you put it in Park, the output shaft still has to turn a little for the pawl to line up and drop in. When it does, you may hear or more likely feel a small clunk. You usually notice it a lot more on an incline than you do on level ground. To save wear and tear on the pawl, it's good practice on a slope or hill particularly to shift the transmission to Neutral, then apply the parking brake, then shift the transmission into Park.

If yours is making more than one click or clunk, it's probably not the parking pawl though - it should only clunk once when it falls into place.

·
Admin
7,655 Posts
Throwing the vehicle into neutral is a very good practice to get into when driving on slippery conditions.

The first time I did it in the FJ (I've been doing it for over 2 decades in other vehicles) I accidentally put it in reverse. Luckily I was only going slowly.

So the moral of the story is ensure that you do not push it into neutral with any kind of an outward push. As long as you push it into neutral with a forward, clean motion, it should hit the safety block that prevents it from going into reverse.

Putting it into reverse or park does not help you stop faster ;)

I'm glad everything turned out well for you :cheers:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was doing some night time 4wd. Accidentally moved the auto shifter to park at maybe 40klms per hr
Didn't even know it til I slowed down and at about walkIng pace the clicking started. I put it into drive switched to h2 and no issues.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
No harm no foul.
Exactly, My girlfriend hit mine into reverse on the hwy while lifting her head and nothing happened no noise or anything, I was shocked

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Throwing the vehicle into neutral is a very good practice to get into when driving on slippery conditions.

The first time I did it in the FJ (I've been doing it for over 2 decades in other vehicles) I accidentally put it in reverse. Luckily I was only going slowly.

So the moral of the story is ensure that you do not push it into neutral with any kind of an outward push. As long as you push it into neutral with a forward, clean motion, it should hit the safety block that prevents it from going into reverse.

Putting it into reverse or park does not help you stop faster ;)

I'm glad everything turned out well for you :cheers:
I would say thats actually pretty bad advice. You should keep the vehicle in drive in case you have to power out of a bad situation after an emergency stop. For instance if the car behind you is not stopping, etc...

·
Registered
920 Posts
I would say thats actually pretty bad advice. You should keep the vehicle in drive in case you have to power out of a bad situation after an emergency stop. For instance if the car behind you is not stopping, etc...
x2...even offroad if you start sliding shift down into a lower gear and let the engine help. If you have to get on the gas your SOL in neutral.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts