Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you cannot make up your mind on which Toyota model you want, this is what happens. Back in May if you look at my history of posts, I could not decide between a Taco or a4Runner to make the move to Arizona. I get here and decided I wanted my favorite combo of a sports car and a FJ. In late August I bought the 2013 Iceberg White FJ, added the OEM Black steel wheels and the rock rails ... then proceeded to trade it a week after installing them for a brand new 2020 RAV4 TRD Off Road. I KNEW I needed an FJ, just not that one. I wasn't looking that soon but for weeks I had been driving by a small family owned lot in town and a nice 2007 Voodoo Blue FJ was on the corner spot.

Finally I had to stop and check it out. It was so nice on the lot I had to go inside to ask more question and take it for a test drive. Ran like new, shifted like new, low 4x4 like new, no strange whining sounds, no dents, no dings, no wear and tear inside. New stock wheels and tires. A one owner mall crawler. I couldn't resit and bought it on the spot, 5-speed manual and all.

Before all of this taking place, a few weeks ago I looked at the local Toyota dealer's 'used' inventory and the most beautiful 2017 Tacoma TRD OR Pro is on the lot. I buy it that morning and then head off-road for 22 miles on gravel, dirt and rocks. Back in May when I was moving from Indiana to Arizona I could not make up my mind between a new Tacoma TRD or a 4Runner TRD. Even after moving I kept going back and forth. The Tacoma TRD won out but the 4Runner was traded many months before this.

The Taco has already been used twice to haul something that would have been borderline hard to fit in the RAV or FJ. With a recent hip replacement I need as much 'easy stuff' as possible. There are just some days you need a truck and now I have my first Tacoma in the drive. I love the way the truck handled going over the pass and to Parker Canyon Lake.

Last year when I heard the RAV4 was coming out with a TRD OR model I was interested. We know that no one seemed to know when they would show up on the lots but I found one last week 200 miles away after a friend test drove it at lunch. Metallic Gray is one of my favorite Toyota Colors. My 2103 Iceberg White FJ was traded in for the RAV4.

So I think I am close to the "perfect" driveway. I love 'em all !!!!:rofl::rofl::blueblob:>:D

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you can afford all of those you should be able to afford a driveway to park them in.........lol....otherwise your HOA might upset......lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you can afford all of those you should be able to afford a driveway to park them in.........lol....otherwise your HOA might upset......lol
:grin:grin Give me some time, I just moved here. NO HOA here ... Im not the only one that does it and the most popular brand of truck ... Toyota.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^ :lol: I miss my '57 Chevy 150. :crying

Congrats on the new ride! :cheers: I looked at that RAV, all black, tire/wheel pkg, lift kit, roof rack & basket... but $48K :jawdrop:
Luckily the lack of roof rack "basket", the lift kit reduced that price quite a bit. With a good trade in value for my 2013 FJ, the price was fairly small compared to that $48K you saw.

·
Admin
6,588 Posts
:cheers:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats on making me insanely jealous....having all those Toyotas AND being in Az....you’re soooooooooo lucky!!! Enjoy :wink
Well buying another FJ or the RAV or the Taco Pro were not hard decisions. Deciding to move to the best place I've ever lived, counting the beach in SoCal (80's) and the PNW (90's) was harder. Sold everything after a lot of research and moved out here to the SE corridor of Arizona. So many places to see, so many to get off road I may not get to all of them in my life time. With my "personality flaw" :rofl: it's also nice to pick and choose what I am going to drive that day. Come on out ... you'll stay for sure. :grin

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:grin:grin Give me some time, I just moved here. NO HOA here ... Im not the only one that does it and the most popular brand of truck ... Toyota.
After sleeping on it ... my OCD kicked in and either the FJ or the RAV is going back in the garage. This arrangement might have been for photo shoot purposes. :grin It bugs me that the corner of my garage and house cannot be seen and I have never been a fan of parking a car or truck in 'the yard', although it seems popular in this neighborhood with Tacoma's and Tundra's. I will not give any of the four cars up and will continue to play "musical cars" when I want to drive something that is in the garage.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,762 Posts
Well buying another FJ or the RAV or the Taco Pro were not hard decisions. Deciding to move to the best place I've ever lived, counting the beach in SoCal (80's) and the PNW (90's) was harder. Sold everything after a lot of research and moved out here to the SE corridor of Arizona. So many places to see, so many to get off road I may not get to all of them in my life time. With my "personality flaw" :rofl: it's also nice to pick and choose what I am going to drive that day. Come on out ... you'll stay for sure. :grin
Planning on it!! We’ve been working towards moving to the Scottsdale area and can’t wait!! :blueblob:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Planning on it!! We’ve been working towards moving to the Scottsdale area and can’t wait!! :blueblob:
I have a couple of friends that live in Phoenix and love it. I have no doubt that you will enjoy your new location. Happy for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I spent the last 20 years broiling in the desert and just moved back home to the tundra...(Minnesota) and even as it gets cold now, no regrets. Helps having a heated 1000 sqft shop I guess......lol The endless 100+ degree spring, summer and fall days wore me down. Its not even the high temps like the 115 degree days, its the lows in the high 90's- low 100's that get old. Leaving for work at 4:30am and it was 99 or 101 gets to a grind and I guess I wanted a change. Also got tired of being in the city I guess. Arizona will always be my second home and I know it well, but I think spending some time in the winter months there will be enough.........snowbirds have it right!

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,762 Posts
I spent the last 20 years broiling in the desert and just moved back home to the tundra...(Minnesota) and even as it gets cold now, no regrets. Helps having a heated 1000 sqft shop I guess......lol The endless 100+ degree spring, summer and fall days wore me down. Its not even the high temps like the 115 degree days, its the lows in the high 90's- low 100's that get old. Leaving for work at 4:30am and it was 99 or 101 gets to a grind and I guess I wanted a change. Also got tired of being in the city I guess. Arizona will always be my second home and I know it well, but I think spending some time in the winter months there will be enough.........snowbirds have it right!
That right there is the PLAN :grin

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
You and I must be kindred soles! I have the same fleet albeit a bit older fleet. Mine consists of a 2007 Voo Doo blue FJ Cruiser; a 2015 TRD 4x4 Off-road Tacoma; a 2018 RAV 4 Adventure. Loves me some Toyota’s!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where I live it's about 20° cooler than Phoenix year round. So it's quite nice here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You and I must be kindred soles! I have the same fleet albeit a bit older fleet. Mine consists of a 2007 Voo Doo blue FJ Cruiser; a 2015 TRD 4x4 Off-road Tacoma; a 2018 RAV 4 Adventure. Loves me some Toyota’s!
It's a great combination to have isn't it? Any photos of the herd?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts