Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after i lifted my rig and put tires on i found out that i needed a bigger jack, so if i ever need to change a flat or need help while off road i need a high lift. Anyone got suggestions with websites? Also do you think a shovel and axe are overkill?

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
After changing my tires out many times in the driveway using both, i would suggest not using the hi-lift to change the tire unless you absolutely have to. (ie. have bottomed out and can't get the bottle jack under the vehicle).
You'd have to be running about 40" tires to not be able to use it under the rear axle. And with a 3inch lift and 33's it still easily lifts the front.
It is much safer to use the bottle jack for most of the times you need to change a tire.

I have a shovel, but not an axe as we never are chopping stuff on the trail.

just to add a little bit. After looking at your mod list, i see your only attachment point is the rock rails. Be careful using these here. When i do use it on the rails, i open the door so that if the hase were to slip the hi-lifts i-beam would not take out the door.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh well thats good to know never actually tried to use the bottle jack but i did try using a 3 ton jack and it only went up to 15 inches and its was too short. So i guess a hi lift is not needed, i guess only serious off roaders use them hehe.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
oh well thats good to know never actually tried to use the bottle jack but i did try using a 3 ton jack and it only went up to 15 inches and its was too short. So i guess a hi lift is not needed, i guess only serious off roaders use them hehe.
Nah, i have used it on mine in the front just to verify that it would still work for a flat on the road. It extends to 3 times its regular height. I use it on the frame rail right in front of the cross member bracing.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
While i do think keeping the shovel and axe on the vehicle at all times is a form of bling, it is some sweet bling. I keep most of my gear at home to keep the weight low.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Most people don't know that the bottle jack in your FJC not only extends, but after maxing the first piston, a SECOND piston extends. The first time you do this, you probably have to crack it loose. It comes from the factory slightly stuck.

Even so, 15 inches of jack height put under your rear pumpkin on flat ground should lift both rear tires off the ground, several inches. Placed under the axle housing just inboard of one or the other rear wheels should lift that wheel completely off the ground. 15 inches of jack height put under the lower ball joint on your IFS lower A-arm should unweight the front wheel and clear it off the ground.

My 315/75/16's calculate out to 34.6" diameter (and are therefore billed as 35's), but measure under 34". At 30 psi, the rolling radius is about 16" on the front wheel (distance from hub center to ground), and the distance to the ground from the lowest part of the A-arm is 11". If you jacked at that point, it would raise one inch before the tire finally came free of the ground. Your jack would then continue to lift the tire fully 3" free.

The best reason to jack from the frame is to work on the supsension while the frame is on jack stands.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats good to know about the stock jack. No i just had concern because i needed to check my front right tire and tried to use my 3 ton jack and i didnt reach the frame. But i also didnt try to lift is were belly doc said.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
You can also get an exhaust jack, which is a lot easier to use than the hi lift, although the hi lift does look pretty good on the roof rack in addition to the shovel and axe!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha thats what my friend was thinking too. He was asking me youre missing something on youre rig.

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
Get a 60" hilift, I know they can be dangerous, but when used right they are invaluable. I use mine all the time when changing tires, lifting the vehicle to work on ect. Don't get me wrong I use jack stands if needed, but the Hilift is quick and easy when needing to lift your vehicle. I have also used it to straighten my Budbuilts by putting them under it and jacking up my FJ, I do have an ARB bumper which has jacking points that make it very safe to use. As far as a shovel, axe, ect. check out the Max-Ax, it's an axe, shovel, rake, pic, hoe all in one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts