Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys --

Ever since I've got my FJ a few months back I've been having trouble reading the dipstick. I know guys say to scuff it up with steel wool or whatever, but that doesn't seem to help the problem I'm having.

My dipstick seems to always have some dark oil toward the tip, and then light colored oil all the way up and past the full line at least a few inches higher. I can tell there is oil in the truck, but that's about it. I don't know if I've got too much, or too little. My oil was put in by the dealer back in February when it was Toyota certified, so I'm confident it was done correctly. I've put about 3k miles on it since I got it...

Last night I let the truck sit overnight to drain all the oil down to the pain, and hopefully get it out of the dipstick tube also. I checked the oil today and got the same result. A dipstick that shows dark on the tip, and then gets lighter and shows oil well over the full. I'm thinking it's scraping the sides of the tube when I pull the stick out, but I've been very careful to try to prevent that.

I noticed something similar with past vehicles when I switched to synthetic fuel. It seems to make the stick harder to read.

Does anybody have any advice for me on this? I'm going to post a picture of my stick below from today where you should be able to see what I'm talking about. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Hakrjak,

I have the same issue. A while back, I tried to scratch up the dipstick but that helped minimally. A member posted that he is using a clear hard tubing to obtain his readings. You may want to try that and see how it goes. I use a pump to change my oil so I always know exactly how much I got out.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
I have to examine this situation in the light after Fjamming put in his obvious 16,ooo post experience there has to be a way to remedy this even if a another tube and stick are used with the same measurements. Cool thread!!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
If it looks low ..... Just hold the pointed end up till it looks good

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Should such drastic measures be necessary? I mean, why did they even put a dip stick in the rig if it doesn't work!?!? I don't understand why there is so much oil in the tube that it gets all over the stick regardless of how careful I am!?!? Would like to hear from a Toyota service tech on this....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts