Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to buy a set of 5 Goodyear duratrac tires and I want either 235-80/17 or 245-75/17. Will these both fit on stock steelies? If anyone wants to comment on my choices please feel free, just don't insult me too bad. I know most guys like BIG and W I D E tires, but I'm mostly riding in snow or hard packed dirt when I'm off road.
Thanks for your POLITE replies. LOL .....:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Won't both those sizes be shorter than stock? The 255 BFG M/T's seem to be a good deal if you want something taller but I think I'd stick with stock size tires before going with those sizes.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Won't both those sizes be shorter than stock? The 255 BFG M/T's seem to be a good deal if you want something taller but I think I'd stick with stock size tires before going with those sizes.
I'm really hooked on the Goodyear duratracs. Thanks for your comment. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are the heights,

235-80-17 = 31.8

245-75-17 = 31.7

265-70-17 = 31.7

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
I really wouldn't recommend doing a 235 or 245. There's a reason the stock size is 265. You need to have a good contact patch on the ground. It was engineered based on the center of gravity of the FJC. If you add a lift on top of that, you're really asking for trouble. Lots of people are fine with the 255's, but smaller than that is just dangerous IMO.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I just checked and it looks like the 245 is only very slightly shorter than stock (0.2"). I couldn't find a number for the 235 but I guess it should be about the same as stock. Looks like the 245's fit on 6.5"-7.5" wheels so steelies should be fine. Couldn't find the wheel width recommendation for the 235's but I don't see why steelies wouldn't work there too.

Sounds like an interesting choice. Price is a little cheaper than 265/70's. If you do it, let us know how it works out.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I really wouldn't recommend doing a 235 or 245. There's a reason the stock size is 265. You need to have a good contact patch on the ground. It was engineered based on the center of gravity of the FJC. If you add a lift on top of that, you're really asking for trouble. Lots of people are fine with the 255's, but smaller than that is just dangerous IMO.
x2

What is wrong with stock size?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
x2

What is wrong with stock size?
A tall thin tire gets down through the snow better to grab whatever is under the snow, (tar or dirt). The wide tires just sit on top of the snow and don't get down to the road
I once had an old (1981) Toyota pick up 4x4 that had a lift with 12" wide tires that were very dangerous in the snow so I put some skinny aggressive tires on it and it would go anywhere. I hope this answers your question. ........:bigthumb:

·
Registered
656 Posts
I can only guess what going to a narrower tire will do to the FJ. I used to own an 88 Chev that came stock with 265/75 16's. It's still running by the way. One set of tires I tried were 235/85's. On the road it made the truck more wallowy. To compensate I tried raising the pressure but this reduced the contact patch and I would spin the tires just hitting paint or anything on the pavement. It had much less grip on pavement. The duratrak's you're talking about would have even less of a contact patch because of the aggressive tread. I've also read they have a softer compound and this would make it sway and lean even more. In my opinion you would probably stand to loose than you would gain by going too narrow. The little bit you gain off-road in deep snow is more than offset by what you loose on the road. The FJ and all it's electronic nannies aren't made for that tire. You risk making it more unstable and dangerous when you least want it to be. Maybe a 245 or 255 wouldn't be too bad, but I'd consider adding stiffer shocks to help contol the squirreliness. Going to a stiffer tire might help too. Stick to the E rated tire (most of the narrow ones are already.) I have no doubt that a narrow tire might help in the deep stuff, specially if you go taller and air down a little. But the duratraks have a pretty good aggressive sidewall and I suspect a stock size tire will be pretty good in the deepstuff too. Just think about it before you take the leap.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Have you considered tires from Treadwright?

They offer a 235,245 and 255 tires in the 17".

·
Registered
936 Posts
I agree with you on the tall skinny tire in snow/mud conditions, but I also agree with Landy on the 235/245's being to narrow for the FJ. I just put on a set of 255/85-16 KM2's and find them to work good in the snow so far. 255's are wide enough to not look funny IMO, but give the performace I was looking for in the widest range of situations I will most likely encounter. I also find them to handle and ride well on the hiway and not to noisy either. Don't know much about the Dura Tracs I have to admit. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
pizza cutters! :rocker:

I love my 255s! I'd love to see what the FJ looks like with 245s or 235s. Looking forward to pics if/when you get em! :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
just put some wheel spacers on to compensate. i want some PC's too. been running 12.5 33's for a long time, im thinky 35's now

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
265-235 loses a little more than 1" in section width. Won't this make the steering wander a little more when driving in normal conditions on a road with a worn track? I guess I've never questioned why Toyota selected 265's. Sorry I'm not much help.

Personally I run 16" rims and 265/75R16 tires. I'm looking to replace my Bridgestone Revos this spring, as I have 50,000 miles on my FJ. (Not too bad for 52 months of use). Bridgestone discontinued the "C" load rating on the Revos, so I'm thinking Firestone Destinations.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
265-235 loses a little more than 1" in section width. Won't this make the steering wander a little more when driving in normal conditions on a road with a worn track? I guess I've never questioned why Toyota selected 265's. Sorry I'm not much help.

Personally I run 16" rims and 265/75R16 tires. I'm looking to replace my Bridgestone Revos this spring, as I have 50,000 miles on my FJ. (Not too bad for 52 months of use). Bridgestone discontinued the "C" load rating on the Revos, so I'm thinking Firestone Destinations.
Thanks for your comments. This is the kind of comment I like getting from people on the forum. I wish someone who has pizza cutters would chime in to give me his or her opinion. Thanks again. ........:bigthumb: (Tombstone is one of my favorite movies ever)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts