Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
"The Black Pearl" (2007, 4x4)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have "factory" shocks from donahoe racing and the rear right one broke at some point. Now I'll to purchase more but I have some questions.

At some point there was a lift put on this rig before I bought it and I'm not entirely sure how big the lift was or if other components were changed out to match the new stroke limit of the suspension.

My question to you all is; How do I find the correct set of shocks to buy for my rig not knowing what lift size is on it?

Pics of what happened lol
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Wheel

Automotive tire Crankset Tire Bicycle part Motor vehicle

Lemme know if you need more pictures!

·
Premium Member
13,801 Posts
Your shock can be rebuilt, reach out to ICON for the nearest dealer who can complete the repair

Reactions: Leni-man

·
Registered
"The Black Pearl" (2007, 4x4)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At this point because it's so messed up, I just want to buy new ones for the rear. I also couldn't locate any part number on the shock and can't find any online. Is there another way I could verify how much lift I have? It's a pretty hefty amount but I can't say for sure

·
Premium Member
13,801 Posts
Springs provide the lift
Shocks control rebound and dampening

·
Registered
572 Posts
Kind of, if you know how big your springs are then you could correctly purchase replacement shocks. If you just measure your eye to eye length on your shocks, you better trust that they were correct in the first place. A shock that is too long for the spring, you could potentially lose your spring out of the bucket on full compression or during some erratic driving. Might need to take springs out and measure the length of them and check for spacers…

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
The rear shocks are pretty straight forward to remove and replace. Only issue is if the top nut is seized. You could take off the good shock, compress it, measure it, and then measure it fully extended and go from there. You could probably even measure it installed. Just flex the rear suspension both ways. Really depends on how much you want to spend on the new ones.

This is a very popular shock.
2007 TOYOTA FJ CRUISER Bilstein 33-313146 Bilstein B8 5100 Series Shocks | Summit Racing
Extended Length (in.):
23.030 in. in.
Collapsed Length (in.):
14.910 in.

Reactions: Leni-man

·
Premium Member
13,801 Posts
Correct, but the springs and shocks need to be matched so you don’t overextend and lose your springs on full squish. Too Long a shock and your stuff will overextend
Agreed.

In this case I would buy some OEM replacements from RockAuto to install while the Donahoe (ICON) are being rebuilt. This way the FJ has no down time.

This is what I do.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Agreed.

In this case I would buy some OEM replacements from RockAuto to install while the Donahoe (ICON) are being rebuilt. This way the FJ has no down time.

This is what I do.
[/QUOTE

That’s what I do too, only problem is getting the motivation to swap the Coilovers back on, I just experience “coilover downtime”

·
Premium Member
13,801 Posts
I don't have sway bars so it makes it pretty easy to swap.
Probably takes me as long to break out the tools and clean up as the as the actuall work.

Ive had enough practice I could probably swap both coilovers ~45 min.

·
fka BLACK HAWK
3,449 Posts
If you want to win, win with the KING.... or bilstein. having to go through the hassle with Icon to get them rebuilt isn't worth the down time

1 - 14 of 14 Posts