Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Typing is abit hard for me, so I will try to make this short (I am about 10 days, lost track, post op from bicep and rotator cuff surgery).

My wife gave me the okay to purchase my new FJ:rocker:

I am just about detailed and cleaned (with one arm) my 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (it's really nice, never been off road, and shouldn't have prob selling, or If I get lazy, trade in). I will have pictures and everything posted on Craig's list, maybe ebay, and the jeep forum. It only has 23,000 miles on it.

I have done alot of research, however abit confused with some packages of ways to go. I plan on doing mostly street driving, with some off road (once in awhile, maybe, however if anything besides off road, maybe hit some snow in the mountains (NC is were I live, or visit mom in Ohio).

Okay, so here is my prob. I am researching packages (and if I am to confused, or anything, I would even love for someone to pm me, I will give my cell # and we can talk, I just want to make right choice.

Ok, before I get to packages, I will go through internet manager, or a buying program such as Costco, Capitol one, or Cars direct (please, someone suggest a program if you think I should).

I will proably apply for loan thourgh Cap one (wife got hers from there), I also am considering joining credit union.

Ok, so for the packages. I like the Upgrade #2 (the options in it), and the Convenience Package. But the only thing that bothers me is that I really like the BF Goodrich trail tires (which is in the off road package (but I assume that the offroad package and that specific tire would be meant more for off roading? (if so, and I like bf goodrich, should I just buy aftermarkt ones (like a AT type tire?

Also, I want the Diff lock and the A-trac and anything for off road, so if I get into it, I will have it. If I can swing the Trail teams one, I might do that.

I also like the TRD Rims (either black or silver), R those still available, and what size-rims and how much do they cost (again, I won't be a big off roader, maybe, but I like the look).

I just have many questions, and I need answers, and I am sorry. Honestly, if someone sets up a time that I can talk to you, I will paypal you $20.00 (sometime tomorrow or next day for phone time), then I can go over things with computer running, and being able to see this crap (LOL, my arm just kills to ask any more questions.

I am serious about the paypal deal (but I want someone who is an expert at this stuff), LOL, I am a disabled/retired cop (only 40), and like most cops, I am abit ocd about things:rofl:

I will be back on line in the morning, so if someone or whoever (remember, has to be expert at this pm's me, then we can set up the phone time, I can call as well (free long distance), I live in NC.

Again, I appreciate the help.

Also, if anyone has Vodoo Blue, does color get old on you, or do you still like. I like the TT like I mentioned, but still undecided on white (silver is fave so far).

Thanks again.

Seriously confused, Jack (I am very non mechanical, so another reason I need help, besides pain meds that get me sick, and won't let me sleep:mecry:

·
Registered
613 Posts
Jack,

I have just been through a few surgeries and an FJ purchase myself. I am a school teacher and my last day of work was Friday. So I am free and my time is your time if you need help tomorrow. PM me if you want and I will send you my phone number and I will help you through the process as much as I can!

I am having another minor surgery in the morning at 9:30-ish Mountain Time, but I am expecting it to go well and I should be fine by the evening hours and would be more than happy to talk you through whatever I can. I am in the middle of pain meds not letting me sleep as well. By morning after my nerve block, I should be right back to normal (well... as normal as I get!). :)

Let me know if nobody steps up to help you with this stuff, because I'd be more than happy to do it.

-Jon

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
PMd you.

Kim

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, can someone expain these two packages to me.

Okay, the off road package comes with the A trac and the Rear Differential Lock

The #2 package just comes with the rear diff, right? (why not the a trac)?

If I was or wasnt doing alot of off roading, which one would be best to go with?

I saw the vids, but is the a trac and diff both kind of the same?

LOL, someone just explain, please:lol:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm pretty sure all both upgrade packages come with both the A-TRAC and the locking rear differential. The A-Trac is also referred to as Active Traction Control, so I can see where you may have been confused by the descriptions.

As far as the differences:

The locking diff makes a physical connection between the tires on each side of the axle, it applies a mechanical lock in the differential. The tires are 100% locked together.

A-TRAC uses the brakes as a pseudo-locker. With the system engaged, the brakes will activate on a single tire if excess slip is detected, allowing torque to go to the tire that has traction. Tires are not locked together, the ABS is used to slow a spinning tire.

The two systems do similar things, but in different ways. If I had to choose between the two, I'd take the locker, but we're lucky enough to get both.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You can't go wrong with the TTSE if you can get one. I just got my hands on one a few weeks ago. I've have used it only to commute in so far, though I hope to get it out on the trail soon. It is a pleasure to drive. I thought that with all of the off-roading upgrades that it has, it might be a rough ride on the freeway - - not so! Its a great ride. Feel free to pm me, I am not the expert that you are looking for, but I am a big fan of my new TTSE and would be happy to discuss it with you.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
467 Posts
You can't go wrong with the TTSE if you can get one. I just got my hands on one a few weeks ago. I've have used it only to commute in so far, though I hope to get it out on the trail soon. It is a pleasure to drive. I thought that with all of the off-roading upgrades that it has, it might be a rough ride on the freeway - - not so! Its a great ride. Feel free to pm me, I am not the expert that you are looking for, but I am a big fan of my new TTSE and would be happy to discuss it with you.

Good luck in your search.
I agree with this post. I am probably the most non-technically inclined person on the forum and I was getting confused as to what to do first. I traded in a '07 FJ with 29K miles but no mods for an '08TTSE in mid April. The on road ride is smooth, the factory off-road equipment (including the TRD wheels, upgraded tires and Bilstein shocks) look good and perform nicely off road too. I am interested in putting a 3" lift kit on at some point, but budget is an issue now.

Good luck with your choice!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well, I hope this helps. If you can get a TT Edition... get one. It has all the necessary equipment on it that you could possibly need. As for the packages Off-Road and Upgrade Package #2. The only difference between the two is that the Off Road Pkg is designed for just that. Off Road. It has upgraded suspension components and a tire upgrade, plus the Cyclone Air cleaner. I would go for the Off-Road Pkg if your choices are between the two. The tires are far more superior than the stock tires they provide. But if you don't plan on going off road but a few times then stick with the Upgrade Pkg #2. Also, in regards to the rim choices, the black TRD rims are only available with the TT Edition. The silver ones are available but that comes with a price tag. Cha ching $. I know it gets confusing when looking at all the different options but go with what you would want on your rig.If you add all the things up in dollars that you want on your FJ they can get expensive. So pull the trigger and try to find a TT edition. It has more on it per dollar amount than you could add to another stock ride. But I guess I'm just a little partial.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with this post. I am probably the most non-technically inclined person on the forum and I was getting confused as to what to do first.
This Browns/Patriots fan has got you beat with this one:rocker: I have trouble removing a bandade from a package:lol: (look, I can't even agree on a football team:)

Thanks everyone so much, you all answered my questions. I also really love that TT, especially with black rims and all the goodies.

I will keep you all posted.

Thanks again, much appreciated:cheers:

Jack

P.S. Thank God there is a no flame zone:lol: , it makes life so much easier, however I still utilize the search button:rocker:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts