Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am purchasing tires online to be delivered to an installer here in my town. I own a 2008 FJ Cruiser Base. No lift and 17" factory wheels. (I'm planning on new rims later)
I have Goodrich All Terrain 285/70/R17 on it now. I want to put mud tires on it. I want the widest and most aggressive look. I am looking at the Gladiator X Comp MT. Is 285/70/17 too big? The mud terrains have bigger tread than the all terrains I have on it now...I am confused and I need advice as to which mud tire will fit. I talked to the tire sales guys and they won't confirm.
Is there a different rim size and offset that I can get so I can have 285s?? I cant afford the rims the tires and a lift right now.

Please help. Thank you!!! Wendy :)
_1.jpg

·
Registered
231 Posts
I tried fitting Yokohama MT G003 on my TTUE suspension FJ Cruiser, the clearance issues popped up when doing trails so I went back to the OEM size, the MT G003 with its aggressive sidewalls look quite good even though they don't fill up the wheel well.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
I want to put mud tires on it. I want the widest and most aggressive look.
Buddy of mine had these Pitbull tires on his truck: PIT BULL - ROCKER XOR LT RADIAL

The back tire grabbed a rock and threw it forward into the mirror, shattering it.

Point being, be careful with the wide/aggressive look.

·
Premium Member
7,439 Posts
So you have 285/70-17's on it now, and you're wondering if the same size 285/70-17 mud terrain will fit? The difference is so small you will be splitting hairs.

Your BFG's are 32.7" diameter since BFG's usually run a little small (plus who knows where they get this measurement from)
Cooper STT Pro in the same size is 33" diameter.

So you're talking about 1/8" radius difference assuming the manufacturers measure their tires the same. Not very much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your advice! There is so much information out there that it is confusing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you have 285/70-17's on it now, and you're wondering if the same size 285/70-17 mud terrain will fit? The difference is so small you will be splitting hairs.

Your BFG's are 32.7" diameter since BFG's usually run a little small (plus who knows where they get this measurement from)
Cooper STT Pro in the same size is 33" diameter.

So you're talking about 1/8" radius difference assuming the manufacturers measure their tires the same. Not very much.
I plan on getting a lift installed later on..I cant afford everything right now. But your information is greatly appreciated!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts