Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Mike

I am a bit concerned too. I mean, this time of year, I spend a lot of time off road, in the mud and hills. I will very much enjoy the increased capability, but for 8 months out of the year, 90% of my miles will come on the pavement.
I'm running 285/70-17 KM2's and they are fine around town and also during my 40 mile, expressway driving to work and back. However, I recently took a couple of all day, 500 mile trips on the highway. The hum did get to me after a couple of hours. I put earplugs in.

I will try 40psi next time I have to do an all day run, the higher pressure should help. Off-road, I have the staun tire deflators that bring me down to 18 psi. Very nice grip in the FL sand and mud... I love the tire!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey hydro in what load range did you get your km2's? I am looking to get the same tire and size as you when I wear out my rugged trails. Online I have only been able to find the km2's in the E load range. Im not really sure what kind of a difference an E load range tire would make compared to a D load range tire? Would they take longer to wear out? Or are they just made for heavier trucks?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hydro, you are ahead of me in this process by a few weeks. I am also looking at the 255/85r16 tire size would like to know how they fit without the lift or level.
I have to rule out the bfg km2 due to there poor snow/ice performance but I am stll looking at a few others. The toyo m55, cooper s/t, the multimile and the Wildspirit txrII (made by cooper). Right now I am leaning toward the Multi mile txrII

So,
Please update us when you get a chance Pics would be awesome.
Subscribed

Chris

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Hydro, you are ahead of me in this process by a few weeks. I am also looking at the 255/85r16 tire size would like to know how they fit without the lift or level.
I have to rule out the bfg km2 due to there poor snow/ice performance but I am stll looking at a few others. The toyo m55, cooper s/t, the multimile and the Wildspirit txrII (made by cooper). Right now I am leaning toward the Multi mile txrII

So,
Please update us when you get a chance Pics would be awesome.
Subscribed

Chris
Wildspirit and Multimile are new ones for me. Any links where I can see these or read about them? I am also getting on the 255/85 16 bandwagon.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
9mmMike, Check out these links of other 255/85r16 tires

Trailcutter R/T trailcutter RT
OPEN COUNTRY M/T | Toyo Tires
M-55 | Toyo Tires
TBC Corporation - Private Brands (Multi-Mile, Cordovan, Sigma, Vanderbilt)
Cooper Tires - Discoverer S/T - On/Off-Road Tires
Dean Tires - Mud Terrain Radial SXT -

Reviews of different tires:
Wild Spirit TXR II Tire Review: Wild Spirit TXR II (285/75/16) - YotaTech Forums
Toyo MT 255/85R16 (and comparison pics) - Expedition Portal Forum
More tire reviews of this size can be found on the /www.expeditionportal.com/forum
don't forget about the Maxxis bighorn 762 and bravo 761

Chris

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Thanks!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Dealer called and said the tires are there, just delivered. When I get off I am picking it up. Will try and get some oics, somehow, in the dark tonight.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Just got home from the dealer. Been an excellent evening thus far.

On my way to the Toyota dealer, I also stopped by by gun dealer and picked up a SWEET Mk12 Mod0 SPR.

Anyway, about the tires. It is too early to draw any conclusion, because I have only driven them 50 miles or so on mostly interstate.

That said, I am VERY excited about them thus far. Firstly, they look incredible. Completely changed the look of my truck. It feels so much more like a real off road rig now. The truck sits up appreciably higher, with NO lift. When sitting in the cab there is no doubt the truck is higher.

The ride on the highway is slightly altered, as you would expect. First, there is a slight hum, but it seems to fade once over about 40 MPH. There is no doubt you are riding on aggressive tires, but I almost wish I could hear them a bit more. They are not loud. At all.

In the steering, the truck still feels very tight and stable, but not quite as much as with the meek factory skins.

Truck doesnt feel unstable or tippy at all, but you can tell the CG is a bit increased. This is why I wanted to avoid lifting at all.

More to come, including pictures. But overall, if these perform as advertised off road, I think I will have accomplished exactly what I set out to. To mount a very capable tire, that is sufficiently tall (IMO) for any 4x4, without having the compromises a lift makes, at least for my intended uses. Super pleased.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I took a quick picture, but on my cell at the gas station on the way home.

I have no way to upload pictures from my cell, but could text it to someone if they feel like doing it. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I have changed my mind again.

I was at my local Toyota shop today getting some minor warranty issues taken care of. We had a bit of a problem not long after I bought my FJ. I made clear my feelings of discontent. After talking to the owner, the service manager was very interested in making things right. He turned out to be a great guy, and I wish I had been dealing with him from the get go.

At any rate, he contacted one of, if not the, biggest tire wholesaler in St Louis and found that they did have, IN STOCK, BFG KM2's in my odd size. 255-85-16. He proceeded to make me an AMAZING deal on 5 of them. No way I could refuse, because he also made me a smoking deal on the prematurely worn BFG Rugged Trails that came on my FJ from the factory.

Bottom line, they are mounting all 5 tomorrow. Should have pics by Thursday. Cant wait and I hope I didnt go too aggressive.
So you ended-up with the BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM2's?

Like these:

Tire Products - Discount Tire Direct

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yes, they are the KM2's, just like those. I am digginf them so far, will post pics ASAP

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I have used tham a bit off road and am happy to say that, so far, they dont rub at all.

This morning as I was leaving my deer hunting spot, I intentionally tried to make them rub. Off to the side of one of the trails, there is a steep hill. I wasnt sure if I would be able to climb it because it is perpendicular to the trail, requiring me to just turn the whhel all the way to the right and dig into it. With wheels turned to the right, full lock, I simply hit the hillside and crawled right up. No rubbing anywhere. I think these are going to be good to go.

The only drawback is the MPG. I did a lot of hard accelerating, and testing out the power with the heavier tires, but the first tank MPG went from my usual high 17's low 18's down to 16.1. Will see what it does on the next few tanks with normal driving. Love the KM2's

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Don't forget that unless you are using a GPS for mileage calculations, the larger tire will make seem like you have driven a shorter distance on a full tank. (I think). Less revolutions per mile so-to-speak. Someone let me know if I have that backwards please.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
You have it right. I used the Garmin Nuvi 760 as well as the GPS in my new Droid phone, and was using mileage from them and not the trucks odometer. There was not a huge difference, but some.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Any pics yet?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Very interested in this tire. I too would love to see some pics.:bigthumb: Just wondering how they are rated for snow... we had quite a bit last year and I spend a lot of time further north in the snow belt areas.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts