Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
how is that 10" wide tire treating you? my train of thought being that after lifting, thus raising CG, that dropping to a 10" tire will sacrifice some stability. I mean... that seems like a big 2.5" to lose on all 4 corners.

Is this logical thinking? I know they will definitely clear better with less chance of rubbing, but personally I know that I want to stay with the 12.50s just to keep that contact patch as big as possible.

·
Registered
619 Posts
He went from the stock tires which are 10.6" wide, so he lost 0.6".
ohh ok. I can never keep all those numbers straight! But that same idea would hold true right?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Actually Scott Brady, one of the guys that creates the Overland Journal, did an article on this in one of the issues. Can't remember which one. but if you head down to teh vendors section of the forum and ping those guys, they can probably hook ou up with the info.

I think the conclusion is, you gain nothing going from 10 to 12.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Actually Scott Brady, one of the guys that creates the Overland Journal, did an article on this in one of the issues. Can't remember which one. but if you head down to teh vendors section of the forum and ping those guys, they can probably hook ou up with the info.

I think the conclusion is, you gain nothing going from 10 to 12.
Thanks X 1000 Chris for the info......

I agree.... the gain is probably a "net loss"...... increasing the rolling resistance... more gas..... more stress on the powertrain.... just for a "good looking"..... no thanks !!!! I prefer "pizza cutter" style..... the good, if not the only way to do real off-roading..... just air-downed to 12-13 psi..... and peace in the valley..... :boohoo:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Sorry it took so long. Real busy.

Loving the tires. We have had enough rain to contemplate Ark building. Finding mud is easy and these tires are really impressing.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Loving the tires. We have had enough rain to contemplate Ark building. Finding mud is easy and these tires are really impressing.

Thanks for your update. Is it possible for you to shoot another pic showing the front of the vehicle to see the "real tire width ?

Regards

·
Registered
81 Posts

Thanks for your update. Is it possible for you to shoot another pic showing the front of the vehicle to see the "real tire width ?

Regards
Ok...... you post before my request...... sorry.

Great !!!!!!!!! Really

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hydro556,
Those tires look great! Thanks for the Pics.
Can you confirm that you are still on a stock suspension? It looks like it . Just wondering what the clearances is from the body mount. Do you have any pics of that?

255/86r16 is my next size as well.

Regards,

Chris

·
Premium Member
346 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Suspension is 100% stock. Have not measured clearance, but have had ZERO rubbing issues. I have turned wheels to lock and driven straight up a steep slope, expected it to rub some, but it did not.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey Hydro,

Did you run into any problems fitting the spare tire on the rack? Does it block the rear window? Looks nice!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
No problems on spare, window opens fine. Other than about 1mpg decrease, these tires are all positive. Over 33" tall on no lift and low CG. I love them.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts