Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

just hid this forum...but I don't know. Playing with my new buttons :)

but no, it didn't work. Hmmm.

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
you just need to write it with a Ghost Writer and send us all the "uncovering" pens.....

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would it be possible to make a "class" of users like supporting vendors or moderators for the committee members, and then have this forum only visible to them? Like the Admin forum?

--Bill
I was thinking that same thing...
I could make it so they have a different usergroup, but still look the same. then assign valkyrie as a moderator so he could still see it (cuz you can't belong to two user groups and that goes for the other moderators too).
hmmm, lemme think and I may have to ask permission before I bring down the forum :grinbiginvert:

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
hmmm... don't know if that's a good idea or not.

1. I had to scale back my participation in the National Event due to work.
2. Having a "Supporting Vendor" as a moderator in any capacity may turn into a can o' worms I personally wouldn't want to open.

I thought this national forum was by invite to begin with?

The reason it is visible would have to be because it was set up incorrectly.

In the Admin control panel you can add a forum and then deny permissions to all. Then you basically invite who you want by adding them as a moderator.

Now the forum is not visible and that's the end of it. Surely they have already set up some hidden (invitation only) forums here already (that are not displayed to regular users)?

Amanda, are you doing this through the Mod panel or the Admin panel?

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chris, you would just be the moderator of this forum...not of all the forums.

I went to admin panel and clicked on No, for the visibility permissions. The problem is that people here are regular users, therefore all regular users can see that a thread exsists and the first 6-8 lines of that thread. It annoys them that they can't get in here (teasing, keeping secrets, er whatever). If they had a usergroup then the regular users wouldn't even see the threads.

Guess I'm making this more complicated eh? :p

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Is there any way to just bury the link to this forum?

Like put it way down on the bottom of the forums page so that the vast majority of users never even notice it?

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Greetings from Hong Kong.... again.

This seems to still be a problem. I set up the .mac site to fix this, why not use it? Just takes 30 seconds to sign up and everything can be handled through each of our email browsers. No financial obligation by signing up.

If not I'll take it down. but I, for one, am tired of jerkin with this.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Amanda, I think the problem is you are trying to do it via a usergroup.

In the Admin control panel, add a forum.

Set it up like this:

In the Forum setup (First box called "Add New Forum") , make sure you set the Parent Forum as "No One" and Display Order = 0 (this way it will not show up).

In the Moderation Options, leave all as NO.

Access options are don't really matter, so check them all yes.

Posting options set to: Act as Forum = yes, Forum is active = yes, Forum is open = yes and Index New Posts in Search Engine = NO

Enable/Disable Features don't really matter, so check them all yes.

Then click on Forum Permissions, and click on the Forum.

All usergroups should be orange (for customized), make sure you Deny All.

Then on the left, move to Search for users and find the first person you are going to grant access to.

At the top box (under their name) it has a drop-down called "Quick User Links", select "Edit Forum Permissions (Access Masks)". Here you may edit forum access on a user-by-user basis.

Selecting "Yes" will allow the user access to the forum.

That should be it. The only trick for users is they may want to put a shortcut to the forum, as it will not be visible on the main forum.

Hope this helps! There may be a quicker, better way that the Admins might know, but this works on my forum (VB 3.6.1)

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, nookie, does it work?

It still shows up in active topics even though I said NO :(

I signed in as my dummy and it worked :) However, it makes it hard to sign in and check this forum...

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Greetings from Hong Kong.... again.

This seems to still be a problem. I set up the .mac site to fix this, why not use it? Just takes 30 seconds to sign up and everything can be handled through each of our email browsers. No financial obligation by signing up.

If not I'll take it down. but I, for one, am tired of jerkin with this.
If you are going to use that, do you mind inviting me to said sight? :) Please :)

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Hi Guys,

Does this work now? I got to this thread via subscription email link. But no longer see the category in the forum list.

Does this mean we are finally "off the grid"?

Thanks for the stickin with this Valk and MFJ.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts