Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2014 FJ, I have to say I have always loved the truck since I first saw them on the road. I had never driven one until I made my mind up that I was going to get one about 6 months age when I sold my other car. I have to say, you either find them well used or very clean. I happened to get a clean one with 64K on it.
I have only driven it for 2 days now and I am surprised how smooth and tight this vehicle is! Drives much better than I thought it would be! Much quieter than I thought, except for the missing clamp on the roof rack cross bar. But damn is she heavy!! Probably doesn't help that it has a steel bumper with a winch.
About me: I am guy from Brooklyn NY who grew up on a boat yard and learned at a young age how to fix boats and cars, ( Thanks Dad).
I will be asking a bunch of questions and reading the posts so I can figured out the truck.

·
Premium Member
16,625 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
You got yourself the best vehical you will ever have. I`ve had mine for over 13 years now and will never sell it. We just got our first winter storm ( 3 feet of snow ) and I`m getting around just fine. I go offroading all the time and it goes where I want to go. I have steel bumpers and a winch also. Your MPG will not be 20 mpg but I didn't buy it for mpg either. Enjoy your ride and welcome to the club :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First question: Where can I get one of those clamps for the roof rack cross bar? I didn't ask the Toyota parts guy when I stopped in to get the filters and wiper blades/ arms.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And thank you for the warm welcomes, I still haven't figured out how to edit these post, Need to fix that first one.
Looks like I stuttered on the keyboard.

·
Banned
133 Posts
I just bought a 2014 FJ, I have to say I have always loved the truck since I first saw them on the road. I had never driven one until I made my mind up that I was going to get one about 6 months age when I sold my other car. I have to say, you either find them well used or very clean. I happened to get a clean one with 64K on it.
I have only driven it for 2 days now and I am surprised how smooth and tight this vehicle is! Drives much better than I thought it would be! Much quieter than I thought, except for the missing clamp on the roof rack cross bar. But damn is she heavy!! Probably doesn't help that it has a steel bumper with a winch.
About me: I am guy from Brooklyn NY who grew up on a boat yard and learned at a young age how to fix boats and cars, ( Thanks Dad).
I will be asking a bunch of questions and reading the posts so I can figured out the truck.
Congrats and welcome!

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
First question: Where can I get one of those clamps for the roof rack cross bar? I didn't ask the Toyota parts guy when I stopped in to get the filters and wiper blades/ arms.
I think there's still at least one available in the "For Sale" section. Otherwise, I'd hit ebay, rockauto, craigslist or (as a last resort) a dealer.

Welcome from Texas!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have put about 200 miles on the FJ now and I am really surprised how well this vehicle drives! It's more comfortable than I thought it would be. Smooth and very solid! I had first thought I would remove the bumper/ winch and go back to stock. Not much use here in NYC for that. I am not off-roading with this one, but as many already know NY/NJ drivers are not the most considerate! They will cut you off or jump out in front of you with out thinking. I have noticed with this truck they see that bumper and think twice! Most just back off.
I do have one problem to solve, NY is a 2 plate state. I have to figure out how to mount the front plate when they come in? I figure under the winch, which means I have to get some kind of bracket and bolt it through the steel. Small detail, any thoughts from the forum?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
Welcome from Oregon ?

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
There are lots of places that sell brackets that attach to the fairlead rollers. Another option is to get some self tapping screws and put it directly on the bumper.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you have time, please post some photos. That would greatly help as return favor for all the advice you're getting.
And congratulations.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Welcome from SE Arizona. You'll love this vehicle and if you ever decide to sell it, you'll want another one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts